Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Newbie: Simulate unix on my pc Post 302158901 by welbp00 on Wednesday 16th of January 2008 03:00:19 PM
Old 01-16-2008
Bug Ok, i have installed Fedora.

Ok, i have installed Fedora. I will practice with it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix newbie

What shellscript would I use If I wanted to list all files in the current directory which are identical to a certain filename. I am told to use binary comparison but have been unable to find out what this means. I have tried man pages and can find a file of a certian filename but cant seem to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gavinlow1980
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie to Unix

Hey, I've been a windows guy all my life, but i have finally decided to move to Unix and buy a Mac. I am pretty good with a lot of programming applications on windows, but was wondering if u guys had any advice on how to get started on Unix, like books to read, applications to buy, websites,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mafia
8 Replies

3. IP Networking

How can i simulate network problems between unix machines ?

Hello all i need to simulate method invocations between 2 machine ( using corba ) now i like to test the method invoke timeout from machine1 to machine2 for that i need to simulate network being busy , can it be done some how ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie to HP Unix

Hi Im a newbie to unix having been a windows guy, yes I know a swear word on here ? but part of my new job is to be trained up on Unix. On the course we were set a task to read a file that has dates times codes etc, a log file. see below as an example 2007/02/19 00:00:06: Information: Switch... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyNameisEarl
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we call JSP file from Unix.if so how.Please help me.Im newbie to Unix

Hi Can we call a jsp page from Unix.if so please let me know how we can.. thanks for the help in advance... thanks kumar (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsukumar
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I'm a newbie to unix

i have just installed UNIX 7.01 to replace a windows server2003 used for my family to share and remotely save photos i need to set it up so very novice users can view, import and export photos most of the remote users will have windows machines,i use Linux, Mac and windows. most of what i want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chance63
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Simulate a ATM (cash machine) on UNIX(Putty) using scritps

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I need to create a simple ATM (Cash machine simulation in unix) which shows a welcome screen, then a login screen... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oobla01
2 Replies

9. Programming

Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX

Writing a Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX I have over the years come across the same issue a couple of times, and it normally is that the read speed on SAN is absolutely atrocious when doing non-sequential I/O to the disks. Problem being of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrghost
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie in unix

hiii i have few questions..i hav just started using unix....i got two doubts or problems as per now, if anyone can clarify it or solve it, his/her help is highly appreciated.. 1) how to Rename all files which contain the sub-string 'foo', replacing it with 'bar' within a given folder. 2)How to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vicky1989
1 Replies
HALD(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   HALD(8)

NAME
hald - HAL daemon SYNOPSIS
hald [options] DESCRIPTION
hald is a daemon that maintains a database of the devices connected to the system system in real-time. The daemon connects to the D-Bus system message bus to provide an API that applications can use to discover, monitor and invoke operations on devices. For more information about both the big picture and specific API details, refer to the HAL spec which can be found in /usr/share/doc/hal-doc/spec/hal-spec.html depending on the distribution. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --daemon=yes|no Specify whether to run in the foreground or the background. --verbose=yes|no Enable verbose debug output. --use-syslog Enable logging of debug output to the syslog instead of stderr. Use this option only together with --verbose. --help Print out usage. --version Print the version of the daemon and exit. BUGS AND DEBUGGING
Please send bug reports to either the distribution or the HAL mailing list, see http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/hal on how to subscribe. First, to obtain useful debug traces you will need to have debuginfo packages installed. On a Fedora system this is in the hal-debuginfo package and can be installed via the yum update program. Second, shut down the existing hald daemon instance; on a Fedora system this is achieved by /etc/init.d/haldaemon stop After having shut down the daemon, you might want to run pkill hald to ensure that all the helper processe of hald are killed too. To start the HAL daemon, use /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes If the daemon crashes, you can start it under a debugger via gdb /usr/sbin/hald and then typing run --daemon=no --verbose=yes at the (gdb) prompt. To capture a back trace, use the bt command and attach this to the bug report. Please also attach the output of lshal(1) in the bug report if possible (it's not possible if the hald daemon crashed). If the nature of the bug has to do with hotplugging, attach two outputs of lshal(1) - one before the device hotplug event and one after. SEE ALSO
udev(7), dbus-daemon(1), lshal(1), hal-set-property(1), hal-get-property(1), hal-find-by-property(1), hal-find-by-capability(1), hal-is- caller-locked-out(1) AUTHOR
Written by David Zeuthen <david@fubar.dk> with a lot of help from many others. HALD(8)