Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Searching filenames containing certain text??? Post 302158670 by ilan on Wednesday 16th of January 2008 04:21:58 AM
Old 01-16-2008
you can go to the folder and run the below one-liner which list out the files

grep -s "abc" * | cut -d : -f1 | uniq

-ilan

PS:editing my post; as it is a late commit Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching for filenames with search strings in another file

Hi, I have 5 files in a directory. emp1_usage.txt emp2_usage.txt emp3_usage.txt emp4_usage.txt emp5_usage.txt I am using sqlldr to get the contents of the above 5 files and store it in a temp table and update my original table using temp table. for f in *emp*.txt do sqlldr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending text to a number of similar filenames

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to append something to filenames based on a wildcard. For example, if I have the following files in a directory: blah1 blah2 blah3 blah4 blah5 I want to rename these all to: blah1.txt blah2.txt blah3.txt blah4.txt blah5.txt Is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Djaunl
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for specific filenames

Hi I would like to know how to search through a directory and pull out files that has a specific pattern in the filename. For example if the filename has "bsc" in it, then that file must be moved to another directory where I will perform some operations on it. I know grep can be used, but I'm... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
17 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching by date range from filenames

Hello all, i have tons of files in folder named like this (yyyymmdd): bookcollection20100729 bookcollection20100730 bookcollection20100731 bookcollection20100801 bookcollection20100802 etc. I need to find files with date range in there names lets say from 2010.07.30 - 2010.08.02 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whit3H0rse
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for a pattern from filenames stored in a file

Hi, I have got some 10 filenames stored in a file or displayed in the console as a result of some query i made.. Now I need to open each of these files and search for a pattern in these 10 files.. Can someone help me with this? Thanks, Jean (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeanjkj
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to append text to filenames if text not already present

I have some html with hrefs that contain local links to pdf filenames. These filenames should have standardised names, i.e. there should be a label prior to the ".pdf" filename suffix. There can be many of these links on a single line of text and some may already have the label. For example ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: adb
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ls -ltr a list of filenames-with-spaces within a text file

OS: RHEL 5.8 shell: bash 3.2.25 Directory /home/guest/ contains these files: file a file b file c fileD fileE fileF testFile.txt I'm trying to find the syntax to run ls -ltr against this list of files that is contained within a text file, testFile.txt. The file testFile.txt has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uschaafm
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching same filenames in different partitions

Hi, We are doing some migration work. The same files may exist in different partition/mountpoints. We may place it in a single place, hence we don't want any duplicates...we will rename the file names if we know the files which has duplicates(by file name)). It would be nice if a script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching range of filenames witn and without numbers on the end

So I'm grepping for the following right now: ls -la /somedirectory/*.log* | awk '{print $9}' The problem with this is that I get the following output: /somedirectory/errors_1_foo.log /somedirectory/errors_1_foo.log.1 /somedirectory/errors_1_foo.log.2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
4 Replies
gedit(1)							   User Commands							  gedit(1)

NAME
gnome-text-editor, gedit - Limited functionality text editor for the GNOME desktop. SYNOPSIS
gnome-text-editor [--debug [-section]] [gnome-std-options] [--help] [--new-document] [--new-window] [--quit] [filename] gedit [--debug [-section]] [gnome-std-options] [--help] [--new-document] [--new-window] [--quit] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The gnome-text-editor application is a text editor for the GNOME desktop. The application is also called gedit. You can use gedit as a shorter command to start the application. The application enables you to edit multiple documents at the same time. Each document resides in a specific tabbed section of the application window. When you start the application from the command line, you can specify one or more filenames. When gedit starts, the application opens all files that you list on the command line. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --debug [-section] Run gedit in debug mode. In debug mode all the functions that are being called dump the function names to the con- sole. You can specify the following sections for debugging: o window o commands o document o file o plugins o prefs o print o search o undo o view o recent Run gedit --help for more information. gnome-std-options Standard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. --help Print the command line options. --new-document Create a new top-level document or tabbed section in an existing instance of gedit. --new-window Create a new top-level window in an existing instance of gedit. --quit Quit an existing instance of gedit. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
The gedit application accepts pipes, so you can specify a pipe after another command, to load the output of the command into gedit. For example: example% ls -l | gedit EXAMPLES
Example 1: To Edit an ASCII File Named document.txt example% gedit document.txt Example 2: To Add a New Tab That Contains an ASCII File Named book.txt example% gedit --new-document book.txt Example 3: To Add a New Top-Level Window That Contains an ASCII File Named testfile.txt example% gedit --new-window testfile.txt EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully. >0 An error occurred. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-text-editor The executable file for the gnome-text-editor application. /usr/bin/gedit A symbolic link to the gnome-text-editor executable file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-text-editor | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | | | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-std-options(5), libgtksourceview-1.0(3) Online Help gedit manual. NOTES
This man page was written by the following people: Paolo Maggi, Chema Celorio, James Willcox, Federico Mena Quintero. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2004. SunOS 5.10 31 Aug 2004 gedit(1)