Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Searching filenames containing certain text??? Post 302158658 by radoulov on Wednesday 16th of January 2008 03:41:23 AM
Old 01-16-2008
Code:
grep -l abc *

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching for filenames with search strings in another file

Hi, I have 5 files in a directory. emp1_usage.txt emp2_usage.txt emp3_usage.txt emp4_usage.txt emp5_usage.txt I am using sqlldr to get the contents of the above 5 files and store it in a temp table and update my original table using temp table. for f in *emp*.txt do sqlldr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending text to a number of similar filenames

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to append something to filenames based on a wildcard. For example, if I have the following files in a directory: blah1 blah2 blah3 blah4 blah5 I want to rename these all to: blah1.txt blah2.txt blah3.txt blah4.txt blah5.txt Is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Djaunl
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for specific filenames

Hi I would like to know how to search through a directory and pull out files that has a specific pattern in the filename. For example if the filename has "bsc" in it, then that file must be moved to another directory where I will perform some operations on it. I know grep can be used, but I'm... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
17 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching by date range from filenames

Hello all, i have tons of files in folder named like this (yyyymmdd): bookcollection20100729 bookcollection20100730 bookcollection20100731 bookcollection20100801 bookcollection20100802 etc. I need to find files with date range in there names lets say from 2010.07.30 - 2010.08.02 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whit3H0rse
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for a pattern from filenames stored in a file

Hi, I have got some 10 filenames stored in a file or displayed in the console as a result of some query i made.. Now I need to open each of these files and search for a pattern in these 10 files.. Can someone help me with this? Thanks, Jean (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeanjkj
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to append text to filenames if text not already present

I have some html with hrefs that contain local links to pdf filenames. These filenames should have standardised names, i.e. there should be a label prior to the ".pdf" filename suffix. There can be many of these links on a single line of text and some may already have the label. For example ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: adb
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ls -ltr a list of filenames-with-spaces within a text file

OS: RHEL 5.8 shell: bash 3.2.25 Directory /home/guest/ contains these files: file a file b file c fileD fileE fileF testFile.txt I'm trying to find the syntax to run ls -ltr against this list of files that is contained within a text file, testFile.txt. The file testFile.txt has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uschaafm
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching same filenames in different partitions

Hi, We are doing some migration work. The same files may exist in different partition/mountpoints. We may place it in a single place, hence we don't want any duplicates...we will rename the file names if we know the files which has duplicates(by file name)). It would be nice if a script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching range of filenames witn and without numbers on the end

So I'm grepping for the following right now: ls -la /somedirectory/*.log* | awk '{print $9}' The problem with this is that I get the following output: /somedirectory/errors_1_foo.log /somedirectory/errors_1_foo.log.1 /somedirectory/errors_1_foo.log.2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
4 Replies