Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help in scripting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in scripting Post 302158622 by nicknihal on Wednesday 16th of January 2008 01:15:26 AM
Old 01-16-2008
Bug Reply to ghostgog74

Hi ghostdog,

i try to run the script but getting some error in line 3 and line 11 , well just check this script i just done its giving error "unexpected end of line done" ,if possible please fix it..

#!/bin/sh
while true
do
sleep 15
y='ps -ef |wc -l
then echo "No of Process at $y" >> swap.alert
z='pgrep rational| wc -l | sed s/k//g' /awk '{print ($8)}'
if [ $z > 4 ];
then echo "Rational process at $z" >> swap.alert
x=`swap -s | sed 's/k//g' | awk '{print ( $9 * 100 )/( $9 + $11 )}'`
if [ $x -gt 80 ];
then echo "SWAP at $x" >> swap.alert | cat swap.alert |mailx -s 'SWAP ALERT' root
fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

New to scripting

We have a scripting requirement, Background: On a particular path, we compress a load of log files into tar.gz. This is done on an hourly basis throughout the day and it produces files of the following format, 2005-08-05-00-021031.tar.gz as an example. This is done by a script. We need: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_149
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting guru's pls help me with scripting on AIX

can someone pls help me with the script for a files coming from one system to a particular directory and i want to write a script to move those files to another directory on different system by renaming the files... pls someone help me on this... thanking in anticipation.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thatiprashant
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help on scripting

in unix bc command is used as calculator and also for conversion, i want to convert 5f to decimal. but bc dont consider 5f as hex value it considers 5F as hex value. I get 5f from other iteration so i cant change that f to F...is there any way to convert 5f to decimal ot 5f to 5F :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinandantn
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripting Help

Hello all. Like Ive stated before, I am new to world of Unix. I was given the tast to create a script that will concatenate 20 files into one file. I know that the cat command is to be used but I am looking for something to get started on. Again, basically I need to wrtie a script that whill... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndoggy020
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Shell scripting vs Perl scripting

Hi all, I would like to start developping some good scripting skills. Do you think it would be best to start with shell scripting or Perl? I already got a fundation, really basics, in perl. but I am wondering what would be best to be good at first. Can you please help me determine which one to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
14 Replies

8. Android

Android Scripting Environment: Shell Scripting and Android

I just upgraded to Android 2.2 from 2.1. The GPS issue that was troublesome in 2.1 seems to have been fixed. Some of web browsing seems faster, but it could just be my connection is better today ;) Flash works in some browsers but not very good and it is too slow for Flash apps designed for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting

Gents, I have been working in a Solaris/Unix environment for about 9 months. I took some linux classses online before getting the job. But, I am not very good at scripting. I want to learn how to script. Do you think that I should start with Shell scripting or Perl? I wanted to continue with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

10. Web Development

Perl scripting or shell scripting?

i am going to study any one of the scripting languages mentioned above(shell 0r perl scripting) . Which is having more scope for a fresher? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies
swap(1M)                                                  System Administration Commands                                                  swap(1M)

NAME
swap - swap administrative interface SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/swap -a swapname [swaplow] [swaplen] /usr/sbin/swap -d swapname [swaplow] /usr/sbin/swap -l /usr/sbin/swap -s DESCRIPTION
The swap utility provides a method of adding, deleting, and monitoring the system swap areas used by the memory manager. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a swapname Add the specified swap area. This option can only be used by the super-user. swapname is the name of the swap file: for example, /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 or a regular file. swaplow is the offset in 512-byte blocks into the file where the swap area should begin. swaplen is the desired length of the swap area in 512-byte blocks. The value of swaplen can not be less than 16. For example, if n blocks are specified, then (n-1) blocks would be the actual swap length. swaplen must be at least one page in length. The size of a page of memory can be determined by using the pagesize command. See pagesize(1). Since the first page of a swap file is automatically skipped, and a swap file needs to be at least one page in length, the minimum size should be a multiple of 2 pagesize bytes. The size of a page of memory is machine dependent. swaplow + swaplen must be less than or equal to the size of the swap file. If swaplen is not specified, an area will be added starting at swaplow and extending to the end of the designated file. If neither swaplow nor swaplen are specified, the whole file will be used except for the first page. Swap areas are normally added automatically during system startup by the /sbin/swapadd script. This script adds all swap areas which have been specified in the /etc/vfstab file; for the syntax of these specifications, see vfstab(4). To use an NFS or local file-system swapname, you should first create a file using mkfile(1M). A local file-system swap file can now be added to the running system by just running the swap -a command. For NFS mounted swap files, the server needs to export the file. Do this by performing the following steps: 1. Add the following line to /etc/dfs/dfstab: share -F nfs -o rw=clientname,root=clientname path-to-swap-file 2. Run shareall(1M). 3. Have the client add the following line to /etc/vfstab: server:path-to-swap-file - local-path-to-swap-filenfs --- local-path-to-swap-file -- swap --- 4. Have the client run mount: # mount local-path-to-swap-file 5. The client can then run swap -a to add the swap space: # swap -a local-path-to-swap-file -d swapname Delete the specified swap area. This option can only be used by the super-user. swapname is the name of the swap file: for example, /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 or a regular file. swaplow is the offset in 512-byte blocks into the swap area to be deleted. If swaplow is not specified, the area will be deleted starting at the second page. When the command completes, swap blocks can no longer be allocated from this area and all swap blocks previously in use in this swap area have been moved to other swap areas. -l List the status of all the swap areas. The output has five columns: path The path name for the swap area. dev The major/minor device number in decimal if it is a block special device; zeroes otherwise. swaplo The swaplow value for the area in 512-byte blocks. blocks The swaplen value for the area in 512-byte blocks. free The number of 512-byte blocks in this area that are not currently allocated. The list does not include swap space in the form of physical memory because this space is not associated with a particular swap area. If swap -l is run while swapname is in the process of being deleted (by swap -d), the string INDEL will appear in a sixth column of the swap stats. -s Print summary information about total swap space usage and availability: allocated The total amount of swap space in bytes currently allocated for use as backing store. reserved The total amount of swap space in bytes not currently allocated, but claimed by memory mappings for possi- ble future use. used The total amount of swap space in bytes that is either allocated or reserved. available The total swap space in bytes that is currently available for future reservation and allocation. These numbers include swap space from all configured swap areas as listed by the -l option, as well swap space in the form of physical memory. USAGE
On the 32-bit operating system, only the first 2 Gbytes -1 are used for swap devices greater than or equal to 2 Gbytes in size. On the 64-bit operating system, a block device larger than 2 Gbytes can be fully utilized for swap up to 2**63 -1 bytes. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of swap: LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGE. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pagesize(1), mkfile(1M), shareall(1M), getpagesize(3C), vfstab(4), attributes(5), largefile(5) WARNINGS
No check is done to determine if a swap area being added overlaps with an existing file system. SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2004 swap(1M)