Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: installing Sol8 but issues
Operating Systems Solaris installing Sol8 but issues Post 302158473 by bluridge on Tuesday 15th of January 2008 12:13:43 PM
Old 01-15-2008
SS,

Yeah, you are right. Cannot run VMWare on a Solaris Sparc. I was just informed this yesterday. But we still need to build a Sol8 box so we can test patches/software on this test box before moving to installing on production.

I know this can be done from the OS...but am unable to login root. I have powered down the server, removed the power cord and waited several minutes. Plugged power cord back in and disconnected the HD and powered up the system. Then came to the LOM prompt and I waited a couple minutes and then a prompt comes up stating to type #. to go to the ALOM prompt. I am not dumped to the ok prompt. This has been my problem since then. I think the LOM over-rides the ok prompt because if I do not type in a userid/password at the LOM prompt, I do not get dumpted to the ok prompt.

I know there is a LOM jumper and recall reading (oh, yeah forgot where I read that there was a LOM jumper) but have never been able to find out where the jumper is. Basically, I read that you remove the jumper associated with LOM, then boot up the system and it will prompt you for a LOM password. Where the heck is this jumper...docs at SUN are HARD to find. And not only that, some of the content on SUN require a service plan which we don't have at this moment!

I tried another V240 box, and had the same problem <sighs> but I build two V240's and never set the LOM password. I am not sure, but when you go to LOM, is it a must that you set the LOM password to use LOM? In other words, can you use LOM without setting LOM'd password? I think a SysAdm is required to set the LOM password to use LOM, its a security feature. But I don't know for sure.

Meanwhile...I am stumped! ...Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with installing/partioning/Sol8

I have search the archives with no luck. Looking for help with my specific system. I have an SUN ULTRA 2 with dual 4.3GB HD's. I installed Solaris 8 with default settings (auto configure)and 2nd drive was partioned /export/home/extra as the only mount(4.3 G's). I then reinstalled the OS... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Sol8 ip problem

i have sol8, in E250 system, my problem is when i gave ip address to hme0 interface it is runnig correctly, it is in /etc/hosts in addition, but when i gave init 6 to system i coulf not see ip address, so i can not establish connection system, only after igave ip manually by means of ifconfig it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nibiru78
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Problem creating sol8 container using seperate / /usr and /var ufsdumps

Hello experts New to solaris 8 containers and zones in general and I'm having some problems creating a Solaris 8 container using ufsdumps of /, /usr and /var. I have created the zone which worked fine and a running the following command. zoneadm -z zone_s8 install -v -p -a /root.ufs ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrokeIt
2 Replies

4. Solaris

JumpStart Upgrade from Sol8 to Sol10

I have a JumpStart server that is being used for the last 7 years. It is on Solaris 8 and I believe it is time to upgrade to Solaris 10. I know there are upgrade procedure out there; but my question is whether there is special instructions/notes when upgrading a JumpStart server; has anybody tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
4 Replies

5. Solaris

df command on Sol8 machine doesn't return a result

I have a sun4u system running Solaris 8. I tried running the df command but it returns a blank result. Also I'm unable to collect an explorer from this system as the OS complains that the disk is full. What could be going on here? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dperry1973
10 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Installing packages on Redhat 5.5: rpmlib issues

Hi there I'm having trouble with a remote Red Hat server. We are busy with an Oracle 11g installation on this box and going through the list of required packages, etc. The installation required elfutils-libelf-devel-0.148. When I try to install that I get the following error; rpm -i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

Issues in Installing Ethernet Driver on RHEL6

Am using Toshiba Satellite C850-l5212 Laptop . I have installed RHEL6 server on it ( Linux 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 ) Now ethernet eth0 is no working .Am not able to find eth0 when i do ifconfig -a . Later found that ethernet driver was not installed. tar jxvf compat-drivers-2013-03-15-u.tar.bz2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilcaesar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues installing RubyGems on Linux

Hi, I am getting error installing rubygems as shown below: $ pwd /ticket/tools/binaries/rubygems-2.6.12 $ sudo ruby setup.rb password for redmine: <internal:gem_prelude>:4:in `require': cannot load such file -- rubygems.rb (LoadError) from <internal:gem_prelude>:4:in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Issues installing inotify-tools on RedHat Linux

I wish to install inotify-tools-3.20.1-2.4.x86_64.rpm on Linux and fire inotifywait command. Initially i was looking for "inotify-tools-3.xx.tar.gz" as instructed here http://jensd.be/248/linux/use-inotify-tools-on-centos-7-or-rhel-7-to-watch-files-and-directories-for-events I have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
suninstall(1M)                                            System Administration Commands                                            suninstall(1M)

NAME
suninstall - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
suninstall DESCRIPTION
install-solaris(1M) is now the preferred command for starting and restarting the Solaris Installation program. It should be used instead of suninstall. suninstall is symbolically linked to install-solaris. suninstall is a forms-based and graphical subsystem for installing the operating system. suninstall exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should only be invoked from there. Refer to the Solaris 10 Instal- lation Guide: Basic Installations for more details. suninstall allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. suninstall loads the software available on the installa- tion media. Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for disk space requirements. USAGE
Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for more information on the various menus and selections. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkginfo(1), install(1M), install-solaris(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations NOTES
It is advisable to exit suninstall by means of the exit options in the suninstall menus. SunOS 5.10 9 Sep 2004 suninstall(1M)