Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to delete line with matching text and line immediately after Post 302158276 by orahi001 on Monday 14th of January 2008 11:34:23 PM
Old 01-15-2008
I used the awk suggestion below since I was already using awk for something else...It worked great

Smilie
thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete last line from text file

I have a file with which i must remove the last line of the file (the footer). I know how to copy and redirect with tail -1 etc, but how do i delete it permanentely (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete first line from any text file ?

What command I can use to delete first line from any text file ? Thk (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aungomarin
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete text from line starting pattern1 up to line before pattern2?

My data is xml'ish (here is an excerpt) :- <bag name="mybag1" version="1.0"/> <contents id="coins"/> <bag name="mybag2" version="1.1"/> <contents id="clothes"/> <contents id="shoes"/> <bag name="mybag3" version="1.6"/> I want to delete line containing mybag2 and its subsequent... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: repudi8or
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete line in text file

Hi, How do I go about deleting a line in a text file. I have used grep to find a particlular word, now how do I delete the line? so far I got: grep -i $keyword file.txt (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Berserk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete a matching line from a file

I have file A with 10 lines and file B with 15 lines I have to read each line from file A and match it with lines in file B If matching lines are found i need to delete it from file B The ouput will be the deleted file B I tried the following in the loop but the deleting part is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: codeman007
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed find matching pattern delete next line

trying to use sed in finding a matching pattern in a file then deleting the next line only .. pattern --> <ad-content> I tried this but it results are not what I wish sed '/<ad-content>/{N;d;}' akv.xml > akv5.xml ex, <Celebrant2First>Mickey</Celebrant2First> <ad-content> Minnie... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aveitas
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete one line from a text file

PATTERN="" sed "/$PATTERN/d" $file In the file data is stored as ::: ::: I need to delete only the line containing the PATTERN pls help to point out why the above code is not working (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomsandy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk delete character in the lines before and after the matching line

Sample file: This is line one, this is another line, this is the PRIMARY INDEX line l ; This is another line The command should find the line with “PRIMARY INDEX” and remove the last character from the line preceding it (in this case , comma) and remove the first character from the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KC_Rules
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete text between two characters in line?

Hi, I have a large text file with the following format: >gi|347545744|gb|JN204951.1| Dismorphia spio voucher 5 ATCAAATTCCTTCCTCTCCTTAAA >gi|17544664774|gb|WN204922.32| Rodapara nigens gene region CCGGGCAAATTCCTTCCTCTCCTTAAA >gi|555466400|gb|SG255122.8| Bombyx mandariana genbank 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: euspilapteryx
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add text to each line of matching id

The awk below executes as expected if the id in $4 (like in f) is unique. However most of my data is like f1 where the same id can appear multiple times. I think that is the reason why the awk is not working as expected. I added a comment on the line that I can not change without causing the script... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)