Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to delete line with matching text and line immediately after Post 302158276 by orahi001 on Monday 14th of January 2008 11:34:23 PM
Old 01-15-2008
I used the awk suggestion below since I was already using awk for something else...It worked great

Smilie
thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete last line from text file

I have a file with which i must remove the last line of the file (the footer). I know how to copy and redirect with tail -1 etc, but how do i delete it permanentely (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete first line from any text file ?

What command I can use to delete first line from any text file ? Thk (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aungomarin
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete text from line starting pattern1 up to line before pattern2?

My data is xml'ish (here is an excerpt) :- <bag name="mybag1" version="1.0"/> <contents id="coins"/> <bag name="mybag2" version="1.1"/> <contents id="clothes"/> <contents id="shoes"/> <bag name="mybag3" version="1.6"/> I want to delete line containing mybag2 and its subsequent... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: repudi8or
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete line in text file

Hi, How do I go about deleting a line in a text file. I have used grep to find a particlular word, now how do I delete the line? so far I got: grep -i $keyword file.txt (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Berserk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete a matching line from a file

I have file A with 10 lines and file B with 15 lines I have to read each line from file A and match it with lines in file B If matching lines are found i need to delete it from file B The ouput will be the deleted file B I tried the following in the loop but the deleting part is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: codeman007
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed find matching pattern delete next line

trying to use sed in finding a matching pattern in a file then deleting the next line only .. pattern --> <ad-content> I tried this but it results are not what I wish sed '/<ad-content>/{N;d;}' akv.xml > akv5.xml ex, <Celebrant2First>Mickey</Celebrant2First> <ad-content> Minnie... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aveitas
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete one line from a text file

PATTERN="" sed "/$PATTERN/d" $file In the file data is stored as ::: ::: I need to delete only the line containing the PATTERN pls help to point out why the above code is not working (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomsandy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk delete character in the lines before and after the matching line

Sample file: This is line one, this is another line, this is the PRIMARY INDEX line l ; This is another line The command should find the line with “PRIMARY INDEX” and remove the last character from the line preceding it (in this case , comma) and remove the first character from the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KC_Rules
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete text between two characters in line?

Hi, I have a large text file with the following format: >gi|347545744|gb|JN204951.1| Dismorphia spio voucher 5 ATCAAATTCCTTCCTCTCCTTAAA >gi|17544664774|gb|WN204922.32| Rodapara nigens gene region CCGGGCAAATTCCTTCCTCTCCTTAAA >gi|555466400|gb|SG255122.8| Bombyx mandariana genbank 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: euspilapteryx
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add text to each line of matching id

The awk below executes as expected if the id in $4 (like in f) is unique. However most of my data is like f1 where the same id can appear multiple times. I think that is the reason why the awk is not working as expected. I added a comment on the line that I can not change without causing the script... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
Test::EOL(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    Test::EOL(3pm)

NAME
Test::EOL - Check the correct line endings in your project SYNOPSIS
"Test::EOL" lets you check for the presence of trailing whitespace and/or windows line endings in your perl code. It reports its results in standard "Test::Simple" fashion: use Test::EOL tests => 1; eol_unix_ok( 'lib/Module.pm', 'Module is ^M free'); and to add checks for trailing whitespace: use Test::EOL tests => 1; eol_unix_ok( 'lib/Module.pm', 'Module is ^M and trailing whitespace free', { trailing_whitespace => 1 }); Module authors can include the following in a t/eol.t and have "Test::EOL" automatically find and check all perl files in a module distribution: use Test::EOL; all_perl_files_ok(); or use Test::EOL; all_perl_files_ok( @mydirs ); and if authors would like to check for trailing whitespace: use Test::EOL; all_perl_files_ok({ trailing_whitespace => 1 }); or use Test::EOL; all_perl_files_ok({ trailing_whitespace => 1 }, @mydirs ); DESCRIPTION
This module scans your project/distribution for any perl files (scripts, modules, etc) for the presence of windows line endings. FUNCTIONS
all_perl_files_ok all_perl_files_ok( [ \%options ], [ @directories ] ) Applies "eol_unix_ok()" to all perl files found in @directories (and sub directories). If no <@directories> is given, the starting point is one level above the current running script, that should cover all the files of a typical CPAN distribution. A perl file is *.pl or *.pm or *.t or a file starting with "#!...perl" Valid "\%options" currently are: o trailing_whitespace By default Test::EOL only looks for Windows (CR/LF) line-endings. Set this to true to raise errors if any kind of trailing whitespace is present in the file. o all_reasons Normally Test::EOL reports only the first error in every file (given that a text file originated on Windows will fail every single line). Set this a true value to register a test failure for every line with an error. If the test plan is defined: use Test::EOL tests => 3; all_perl_files_ok(); the total number of files tested must be specified. eol_unix_ok eol_unix_ok ( $file [, $text] [, \%options ] ) Run a unix EOL check on $file. For a module, the path (lib/My/Module.pm) or the name (My::Module) can be both used. $text is the diagnostic label emited after the "ok"/"not ok" TAP output. "\%options" takes the same values as described in "all_perl_files_ok". EXPORT
A list of functions that can be exported. You can delete this section if you don't export anything, such as for a purely object-oriented module. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Shamelessly ripped off from Test::NoTabs. SEE ALSO
Test::More, Test::Pod. Test::Distribution, <Test:NoWarnings>, Test::NoTabs, Module::Install::AuthorTests. AUTHORS
o Arthur Axel 'fREW' Schmidt <frioux@gmail.com> o Florian Ragwitz <rafl@debian.org> o Kent Fredric <kentfredric@gmail.com> o Peter Rabbitson <ribasushi@cpan.org> o Tomas Doran <bobtfish@bobtfish.net> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Tomas Doran. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-15 Test::EOL(3pm)