Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl vs shell scripts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl vs shell scripts Post 302158198 by gus2000 on Monday 14th of January 2008 06:17:30 PM
Old 01-14-2008
Perl is quite elegant at doing many things, such as parsing/regurgitating output. If you just need to batch-rename a couple of files, well then even csh can do that!

I will, on occasion, use a perl one-liner to save myself many lines of code. Sometimes it's even to accomplish something impossible (or nearly) with the shell.

PERL One Liners

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

executing perl scripts

Does anybody experiencing this same problem? I am using IRIX64 ver 6.5 at work. I wrote some Perl scripts and to execute it. First I try to put the Perl script at: /$HOME/bin/perlscript then I set the correct executable 755 right to the file I make sure the PATH to the executable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List of all PERL scripts.

Which command should I use to get the list of all the .pl scripts on the unix server... Thanks in advacne, Venky (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkyA
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Perl Module name in all Perl scripts

I want to replace a Perl module name in all my Perl Scripts in the cgi-bin directory. How is it possible? I have the following statement in my scripts use myUtil; I want to change it to use myUtil777; Regards, Rahul (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

4. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Error with perl scripts...

hi on Solaris....m getting following error while running a perl script...any suggestions.... install_driver(Oracle) failed: Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/sun4-solaris/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.so' for module DBD::Oracle: ld.so.1: perl: fatal: /home/oracle/lib32/libclntsh.so.9.0:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amardeep
1 Replies

6. Programming

Perl CGI Scripts

I need to create a webserver to run Perl CGI Scripts. Anyone have any ideas or good links? Yes I know there are lovely programs out there, but I need to build one in C. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cb.mark
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to write perl substitute command in shell scripts

How to write perl substitute command in shell script without invoking a perl script file seperately. for ex: shell script to relace IT with CSC in a file using perl substitute command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: param_it
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[PERL] Running unix commands within Perl Scripts

I understand that in order to run basic unix commands I would normally type at the prompt, I would have to use the following format system(ls -l); or exec(ls -l); But when I actually try to use the command, the script fails to compile and keeps telling me there is an error with this line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: userix
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting shell to Perl I run into shell built in function trap and need alternative in Perl

I am working on converting shell to Perl script. In shell we have built in function trap Do you know alternative in Perl or actually we don't need it? Thanks for contribution (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies
purple-url-handler(1)						   User Commands					     purple-url-handler(1)

NAME
purple-url-handler - Python script to handle URL with purple SYNOPSIS
purple-url-handler [-URL] DESCRIPTION
Python script to handle URL with purple. OPTIONS
Usage: purple-url-handler URL Example: purple-url-handler "xmpp:romeo@montague.net?message" ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-im-client | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
purple-remote(1), purple-send(1), purple-send-async(1), attributes(5) purple-url-handler Manual, http://pidgin.im/ NOTES
Updated by Lei Ju, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2006, 2007. SunOS 5.11 02 Apr 2008 purple-url-handler(1)