Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ksh and hex numbers
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh and hex numbers Post 302158185 by JamesByars on Monday 14th of January 2008 04:22:20 PM
Old 01-14-2008
ksh and hex numbers

Code:
typeset -i A=16#0
typeset -u A=$a
y=${A#16#}

This converted $a to hex and stored it in y.

Can someone walk me through how this was done?

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Req on how to convert hex numbers to decimals

Hi, If i have an input as c1:41 c2:0x0000.00046b3e I want to make output display as c1:41 c2:224062 . Basically convert first part 0x0000 (as hex) to decimal which is 0 and convert second part 0x00046b3e (as hex) to decimal which is 289598 and as such add both parts namely... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hare
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh/awk help - output missing numbers

Here is what I am trying to do: I have a list of numbers that I pulled from an awk command in a column like so: 1 3 4 7 8 I want to find which numbers in the list are missing out of a range. So let's say I want to find out from the list above which numbers are missing from the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: afavis
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert hex numbers to decimal ?

Hi, please tell me how to convert hex number to decimal 000000E7 000000000002640D 0000000000025B16 and seconds to minutes, hours, days, months, years bytes to kbytes, mbytes , gbytes read the following examples while read a b do printf "%5d %5d\n" "0x$a" "0x$b" done < "$FILE"... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
15 Replies

4. Programming

After converting the hexstr to Hex and storing the Hex in a char*

Hi All, My main intension of is to convert the Hexstring stored in a char* into hex and then prefixing it with "0x" and suffix it with ',' This has to be done for all the hexstring char* is NULL. Store the result prefixed with "0x" and suffixed with ',' in another char* and pass it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

5. Programming

What is the difference between ios::hex and std::hex?

Hi, Is there really a difference between these two, std::hex and ios::hex?? I stumbled upon reading a line, "std::ios::hex is a bitmask (8 on gcc) and works with setf(). std::hex is the operator". Is this true? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Range of numbers in HEX using AWK

Hi , How do i found out all the number in a range ( HEX) for example Input is 15CF:15D2 Output needed 15CF 15D0 15D1 15D2 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex - KSH

Hello, I woild like to convert hex on KSH not BASH: I tried to use: tmp=31 printf "\x"${tmp}"" it works on bash - Output is '1' but not on ksh. please advice on the right syntax. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping a string of numbers between higher and lower order values(HEX)

I have this below string in a variable cutString=21222222222222222122222222222222 this string is nothing but hex values depicted as below 21:22:22:22:22:22:22:22:21:22:22:22:22:22:22:22 so what i want to achieve is swap the lower order with higher order values in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Arithmetic syntax error while comparing decimal numbers

Hello, I am having a problem when i execute following script on RHEL 6.4. Same script works fine on another machine where I have same version of RHEL and KSH. Below is the rpm and RHEL version. ossvm12(0)> rpm -qa | grep ksh ksh-20100621-19.el6.x86_64 ossvm12(0)> cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adithya Gokhale
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh : split hex number group

Hi, sry for poor english I have a group of hex number as : 4D40:4D42 I want so split this group in a list as : 4D40,4D41,4D42 i don't know how i can do this in ksh Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jocazh
5 Replies
typeset(1)							   User Commands							typeset(1)

NAME
typeset, whence - shell built-in functions to set/get attributes and values for shell variables and functions SYNOPSIS
typeset [ +- HLRZfilrtux [n]] [ name [ = value]]... whence [-pv] name... DESCRIPTION
typeset sets attributes and values for shell variables and functions. When typeset is invoked inside a function, a new instance of the variables name is created. The variables value and type are restored when the function completes. The following list of attributes may be specified: -H This flag provides UNIX to host-name file mapping on non-UNIX machines. -L Left justify and remove leading blanks from value. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. When the variable is assigned to, it is filled on the right with blanks or trun- cated, if necessary, to fit into the field. Leading zeros are removed if the -Z flag is also set. The -R flag is turned off. -R Right justify and fill with leading blanks. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field, otherwise it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. The field is left filled with blanks or truncated from the end if the variable is reas- signed. The -L flag is turned off. -Z Right justify and fill with leading zeros if the first non-blank character is a digit and the -L flag has not been set. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. -f The names refer to function names rather than variable names. No assignments can be made and the only other valid flags are -t, -u and -x. The flag -t turns on execution tracing for this function. The flag -u causes this function to be marked undefined. The FPATH variable will be searched to find the function definition when the function is referenced. The flag -x allows the func- tion definition to remain in effect across shell procedures invoked by name. -i Parameter is an integer. This makes arithmetic faster. If n is non-zero it defines the output arithmetic base; otherwise, the first assignment determines the output base. -l All upper-case characters are converted to lower-case. The upper-case flag, -u is turned off. -r The given names are marked readonly and these names cannot be changed by subsequent assignment. -t Tags the variables. Tags are user definable and have no special meaning to the shell. -u All lower-case characters are converted to upper-case characters. The lower-case flag, -l is turned off. -x The given names are marked for automatic export to the environment of subsequently-executed commands. The -i attribute can not be specified along with -R, -L, -Z, or -f. Using + rather than - causes these flags to be turned off. If no name arguments are given but flags are specified, a list of names (and optionally the values) of the variables which have these flags set is printed. (Using + rather than - keeps the values from being printed.) If no names and flags are given, the names and attributes of all variables are printed. For each name, whence indicates how it would be interpreted if used as a command name. The -v flag produces a more verbose report. The -p flag does a path search for name even if name is an alias, a function, or a reserved word. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 typeset(1)