Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with sudo su and .sh script Post 302158153 by cleansing_flame on Monday 14th of January 2008 02:03:43 PM
Old 01-14-2008
problem with sudo su and .sh script

here is my script:

#!/bin/sh

cd /Users/a

echo "what is the name of the file u want?"
read var1
var1=$var1
var3=$var1

echo "is this $var1 okay?"
echo "enter the type of file u want"
echo "your choices are .java, .c, .sh, .ksh, .csh"
read var2
var2=$var2

var4=`find . -type f | grep "$var1$var2" | wc -l`
var5=0

if test $var4 -ne $var5
then
echo "next "$var2" prog"
exit 0
fi

if test "$var1$var2" = "$var3.java"
then
cd /Users/a/Javaprogs
mkdir ./$var1.java
emacs /Users/a/Javaprogs/$var1.java/$var1.java
cat ../defaults/javadefaultfile.txt >> ./Javaprogs/$var1.java/$var1.java
exit 0
fi

if test "$var1$var2" = "$var3.c"
then
cd /Users/a/cprogs
mkdir ./$var1.c
emacs /Users/a/cprogs/$var1.c/$var1.c
cat ../default/cprogdefaultfile.txt >> /Users/la/cprogs/$var1.c/$var1.c
exit 0
fi

if test "$var1$var2" = "$var3.sh"
then
`sudo su`
cd /bin
mkdir ./$var1
emacs ./$var1/$var1.sh
cat /Users/a/defaults/shdefaultfile.txt >> ./$var1/$var1.sh
exit 0
fi

the part in red contains the problem, the `sudo su` command does prompt me, but once I enter my passwd i change prompt as normal. I can type, but no commands are recognized and ctrl-c does nothing but enter a new blank line. Any help would be appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOw can i use sudo in a script

Hi Everyone, i am writing a script which will display all channels as below sudo /usr/bin/su - mycamqrd chs I kept the above two lines in a ksh and after ran that it is going to mycamqrd home dir(sudo /usr/bin/su - mycamqrd).. The script is coming out and it is not executing chs. Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh212512
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sudo command problem

Hi All, I am tring to redirect mails comming to my user id to a script. In other word trigger a script when a mail comes to my user id. Actually , Admin team has done all this to me previously. in my script i am doing like /usr/local/bin/sudo -u parbrxs /export/home/parbrxs/bin/parbrxs.sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mindtee_abhi
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script problem , sudo mount command

cat test.sh sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda7 /media/Ddrive If i double click the test.sh file and select run in terminal then the terminal prompts for password. How can i avoid typing password? Or if i double click test.sh file and select run then nothing happens. What i'm trying "Double... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
3 Replies

4. Linux

Sudo Problem?

Hi I wanted to add a group using 1 id which is not root but has some sudo privileges. test@test>sudo -l gives this (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/passwd, /usr/sbin/useradd, /usr/sbin/usermod, /usr/sbin/userdel, /usr/bin/tee, /usr/bin/grep, /bin/grep, /usr/bin/chmod, /bin/chmod, /usr/bin/echo,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: datkan
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem with password expire and sudo.

Hi, I have a small problem that I need to address regarding the password expiration for a number of different oracle accounts. Currently I have the MAXWEEKS set to 12 in the /etc/default/passwd file for all accounts. I also have sudo installed on the server and users access the oracle accounts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Sudo inside a here document

Have a sudo statement inside of a here document. It prompts me for a password, but doesnt wait for me to enter my password. Is there a way I can use the command without sudo or anyway that I can enter the password correctly? Eg : while read remotehost do ssh -t $2@$remotehost ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo wildcards problem: for every argument a *-wildcard? Better solution?

Hi I allow the user tommy to run this command as root sudoCommand: /app/appname/connectors/*/*/current/bin/*With "sudo -l" he sees the sudoers, but is unable to execute. $ sudo /app/appname/connectors/zur/namename/current/bin/othername agentsvc --i --u root --sn 1m7command Sorry, user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh foo.com sudo command - Prompts for sudo password as visible text. Help?

I am writing a BASH script to update a webserver and then restart Apache. It looks basically like this: #!/bin/bash rsync /path/on/local/machine/ foo.com:path/on/remote/machine/ ssh foo.com sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reloadrsync and ssh don't prompt for a password, because I have DSA encryption... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluoborate
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem connect to a different server then do sudo login and finally run some scripts and get result

I have to write a shell script in my current linux server and I have to connect to a different server then do sudo login and finally run some scripts residing in a particular directory and get results back. I am starting to write my shell script as below but after I do ssh login it prompts for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Problem using sudo with NOPASSWD

I need to configure access for a user in an HP-UX to : 1) use certain commands and 2) login as another user as a sudo. These have to be done WITHOUT the user needing to enter a password. However, after I enter the lines using visudo, there is a prompt for a password when the user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aigini82
3 Replies
DEBUG_ZVAL_DUMP(3)							 1							DEBUG_ZVAL_DUMP(3)

debug_zval_dump - Dumps a string representation of an internal zend value to output

SYNOPSIS
void debug_zval_dump (mixed $variable, [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Dumps a string representation of an internal zend value to output. PARAMETERS
o $variable - The variable being evaluated. RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 debug_zval_dump(3) example <?php $var1 = 'Hello World'; $var2 = ''; $var2 =& $var1; debug_zval_dump(&$var1); ?> The above example will output: &string(11) "Hello World" refcount(3) Note Beware the refcount The refcount value returned by this function is non-obvious in certain circumstances. For example, a developer might expect the above example to indicate a refcount of 2. The third reference is created when actually calling debug_zval_dump(3). This behavior is further compounded when a variable is not passed to debug_zval_dump(3) by reference. To illustrate, consider a slightly modified version of the above example: Example #2 <?php $var1 = 'Hello World'; $var2 = ''; $var2 =& $var1; debug_zval_dump($var1); // not passed by reference, this time ?> The above example will output: string(11) "Hello World" refcount(1) Why refcount(1)? Because a copy of $var1 is being made, when the function is called. This function becomes even more confusing when a variable with a refcount of 1 is passed (by copy/value): Example #3 <?php $var1 = 'Hello World'; debug_zval_dump($var1); ?> The above example will output: string(11) "Hello World" refcount(2) A refcount of 2, here, is extremely non-obvious. Especially considering the above examples. So what's happening? When a variable has a single reference (as did $var1 before it was used as an argument to debug_zval_dump(3)), PHP's engine opti- mizes the manner in which it is passed to a function. Internally, PHP treats $var1 like a reference (in that the refcount is increased for the scope of this function), with the caveat that if the passed reference happens to be written to, a copy is made, but only at the moment of writing. This is known as "copy on write." So, if debug_zval_dump(3) happened to write to its sole parameter (and it doesn't), then a copy would be made. Until then, the parameter remains a reference, causing the refcount to be incremented to 2 for the scope of the function call. SEE ALSO
var_dump(3), debug_backtrace(3), References Explained, References Explained (by Derick Rethans). PHP Documentation Group DEBUG_ZVAL_DUMP(3)