Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace with value of variable using SED Post 302157880 by Franklin52 on Sunday 13th of January 2008 09:55:02 AM
Old 01-13-2008
The single quotes prevent the shell to expand the variable, try:

Code:
sed "s/STR1/$ABC/g" <file>

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed to replace text with a variable

I'm trying to replace text in a file with text from a variable I have the following in my script, but its not working: #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter the path to load scripts" read x echo "updating the templates" sed "s/CHANGE_ME_TO_LOAD_PATH/"$x"/g" LoadFiles.sh > LoadFiles2.sh I thought... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orahi001
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace spaces between quotes with a variable

I have lines with: elseif (req.http.host ~ "^(www.)?edificationtube.com$|www.edificationtube.org www.edificationtube.net edificationtube.org www.edificationtube.com edificationtube.net") { elseif (req.http.host ~ "^(www.)?collegecontender.com$|www.collegecontender.com collegecontenders.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EXT3FSCK
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using file-and-replace sed command with the use of a variable?

Ok, so, let's say I have the variable $GMAILID....How can I use it with sed command so to replace a string in a file? e.g.: sed -i 's/$GMAILID/test@gmail.com/' /home/$USER/Desktop/sendmail (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace with a variable in sed command

Hello, I have this command and it works fine. My question is that how can we replace the N by a variable, to print for instance a big number of lines. It means if I want 100 lines after an expression, to not put "N" 100 times in the sed. Code: $ sed -n '/aaa/{n;N;N;s///g;s/;/; /g;p;}'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rany1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED with variable to replace strings in while loop

Hi guys, Hi have this input (Menu.xml)<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <breakfast_menu> <food> <name>Berry-Berry Belgian Waffles</name> <price>$8.95</price> <calories>900</calories> </food> <food> <name>French Toast</name> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace value of a variable in a file through script using sed

Hi, I am trying to replace the value of a variable in a file through another script. Example: Filename : abc.txt contents: a=10 b=20 c=30 Need to change the value of, say, b - Tried using the following: sed "s/${b}/15/g" abc.txt Have tried various forms of sed (with single quotes,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rituparna_gupta
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace with variable -sed

Hi, I have a ksh script where I am trying to mask the password in the log files. $loc - is my directory $PGUIDE_DB_USER_PSW - is a variable that holds the password I am looking for find $loc/logs -type f -exec sed -i "s/$PGUIDE_DB_USER_PSW/*****/"g {} \; I get an error: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/replace using variable

Hello everyone, In one of my shell script I am doing sed/replace using a variable to find a string in a file & replace it with another string in same file. The challenge which I am facing is that, the variable which I am using with "sed" is having one of character as "/" Here is below how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk/sed to replace variable in file

Hi All I have one file with multiple lines in it, each line has static text and some variable enclosed in <<filename>> as well. e.g. as below 123, <<file1.txt>> this is my name, I stay at <<city.txt>> Thanks for visiting 348384y, this is my name <<fileabc.txt>>, I stay at near the mall of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
8 Replies
GIT-REPLACE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-REPLACE(1)

NAME
git-replace - Create, list, delete refs to replace objects SYNOPSIS
git replace [-f] <object> <replacement> git replace -d <object>... git replace -l [<pattern>] DESCRIPTION
Adds a replace reference in .git/refs/replace/ The name of the replace reference is the SHA1 of the object that is replaced. The content of the replace reference is the SHA1 of the replacement object. Unless -f is given, the replace reference must not yet exist in .git/refs/replace/ directory. Replacement references will be used by default by all git commands except those doing reachability traversal (prune, pack transfer and fsck). It is possible to disable use of replacement references for any command using the --no-replace-objects option just after git. For example if commit foo has been replaced by commit bar: $ git --no-replace-objects cat-file commit foo shows information about commit foo, while: $ git cat-file commit foo shows information about commit bar. The GIT_NO_REPLACE_OBJECTS environment variable can be set to achieve the same effect as the --no-replace-objects option. OPTIONS
-f If an existing replace ref for the same object exists, it will be overwritten (instead of failing). -d Delete existing replace refs for the given objects. -l <pattern> List replace refs for objects that match the given pattern (or all if no pattern is given). Typing "git replace" without arguments, also lists all replace refs. BUGS
Comparing blobs or trees that have been replaced with those that replace them will not work properly. And using git reset --hard to go back to a replaced commit will move the branch to the replacement commit instead of the replaced commit. There may be other problems when using git rev-list related to pending objects. And of course things may break if an object of one type is replaced by an object of another type (for example a blob replaced by a commit). SEE ALSO
git-tag(1) git-branch(1) git(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-REPLACE(1)