Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Help with -newer command Post 302157779 by Franklin52 on Saturday 12th of January 2008 07:02:29 AM
Old 01-12-2008
Make a reference file with the touch command with an access date and time of the last copy or whenever e.g.:

Code:
touch -d '2008-01-12 12:30:00' ref_file

Now you can find the newer files every day with a script like:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

cd /yourdir
find * -newer ref_file -print >> list_of_new_files # write the output to file
echo "Last list made: `date`" >> ref_file # update the reference file

I hope this example gives you ideas that are helpful to you in your situation.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar --newer = tar --newer-mtime ?

Hi, I have the following question : As far as I know unix doesn't store file creation dates. Would that imply the following? tar -cvzf backup.tar --newer is equal to: tar -cvzf backup.tar --newer-mtime ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files newer than...

Is there a way to use the find command to locate files newer than a specific date? Thanks! --Alex (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with find ! -newer

Hi, I would like to find if a file called test.log is older than 10 min. So i wrote : #!/usr/bin/ksh FICLOG="/home/uuu/result_test.log" FIC="/home/uuu/test.log" touch -t `perl -e 'use POSIX qw(strftime); printf("%s\n",strftime("%m%d%H%M",localtime(time-3600*0.17)));'`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbfree
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i am newer to unix platform

i have to select particular fields from a multiple line record. my record is in dump.txt file and looks like this ******************* tipo = abonado simplex, Idiomas = dic1 - none, Operador = estandar Serv. portadora admitido: modem ind = 0 numero telefonico = 79260960, att = 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: junaid.nehvi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file1 newer then file2

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and i need to create a script with the following directions and I can not figure it out. Create a shell script called newest.bash that takes two filenames as input arguments ($1 and $2) and prints out the name of the newest file (i.e. the file with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mandylynn78
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls files newer than 6 hours

How do I list al files in a folder with a creation date/time newer than 6 hours? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command not searching path when -newer specified

When this command is issued from a directory other than where the file is located it works fine: find /db2/D01/log_archive/ -name "S0002166.LOG" -type f /db2/D01/log_archive/db2d01/D01/NODE0000/C0000000/S0002166.LOG When I change -name to -newer, it doesn't work. Find only searches the current... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fletchdb2
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help going from power pc to newer computer!

I have a Unix server running on a powerPC dating back to 2000. I need to change the computer to something newer. I also need to keep running Unix as the OS in order to run the Medical monitoring software we have. Is there a way to do this? I have the IBM AIX-Unix running a Multiview Workstation... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maverick27
10 Replies

9. Linux Benchmarks

Newer PC build.

Just decided to run the benchmark for the heck of it. -Version- Dist: Debian GNU/Linux 8.5 CPU/Speed: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz RAM: DDR4 DRAM 64 GB 3000 MHz CMK64GX4M4B3000C15 MB: Maximus VIII Ranger Bus: 8 sata, 1 M.2 Socket 3 Cache: L2=4 x 256KB, L3=8 MB shared... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bajanine
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy file only if newer

I only want the file copied if it is newer. But it still copies the file? zip -u Ubuntu_Documents.zip ./* cp -u Ubuntu_Documents.zip $DOCS_Backup/Ubuntu_Documents_`date +"%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M"`.zip (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
SERVICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)