Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity SMTP Flooding - How can I stop it? Post 302157722 by reborg on Friday 11th of January 2008 08:25:29 PM
Old 01-11-2008
yes, currently you will relay mail to hotmail, gmail and yahoo accounts.

You should also consider something like spamdyke: A drop-in connection-time spam filter for qmail and/or using iptables to drop packets from the sources of the relay abuse.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Smtp

Hi All, I am running an email server on a Linux machine. My goal is to set up in a way that I can use pop3 to retrieve mail from a Windows machine using Outlook. Now I can download the messages from the Linux email server, however I can not send out messages. I encounter this error: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

SMTP with sendmail

Hi, I have a solaris 9 box, and 2 domains A.com and B.net. the machine is on B.net. I am not able to send emails to @A.com using mail or mailx. after reading on sendmail, there was something about relaying and editing the file /etc/mail/relay-domains. Please let me know if this is what i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to stop others users to stop viewing what i am doing ?

Hi , I have one question, suppose i am a normal user and when i use 'w' command , it shows who is logged on and what they are doing . Now i want to stop others users to know what i am doing accept the root ? can i do this ? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
5 Replies

4. Programming

C Smtp

how do you send a ".\n" in a smtp client? >354 Send message, end with <CRLF>.<CRLF> >. > i have already issued a "./n" but it doesnt work. please help. thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grotesque
1 Replies

5. AIX

SMTP doubt

Hi All, I have a unix box which is in a network with windows machine, I am able to send the mails to the user id's with in the unix box. I dont have Internet connection for this box, so I am not able to test if it can send mails to external network or not? I want to know, if SMTP is already... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu_puttaganti
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Smtp

Hi All, I have a unix box which is in a network with windows machine, I am able to send the mails to the user id's with in the unix box. I dont have Internet connection for this box, so I am not able to test if it can send mails to external network or not? I want to know, if SMTP is already... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balu_puttaganti
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

SMTP Settings

Hi all, Please help to check weather the SMTP settings are configured or not on my LINUX server? I want to send a mail to mailbox. I know that the target SMTP server has to be configured on LINUX box to do so. How can i see weather it is configured or not? --Ramesh Ch. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Svc messages flooding the system logs every second

Hi all I have a newly installed Oracle X2-4 server running Solaris 10 x86 with the latest patches. I have one non-global zone configured running an Oracle DB instance. After configuring IPMP failover between two NICs on the server and rebooting I am seeing the /var/adm/messages being flooded... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sudo or su keeps flooding my /var/log/messages

It is crazy when you just entered a command example sudo or su or even ps. It will flood your /var/log/messages. Please see duplicate entries except for the pid. At 1 specific time. Thanks $ cat b Jan 13 17:09:05 SERVER1 bash: user1 as root: Jan 13 17:09:05 SERVER1 bash: user1 as root: Jan... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
3 Replies
qmail-remote(8)                                               System Manager's Manual                                              qmail-remote(8)

NAME
qmail-remote - send mail via SMTP SYNOPSIS
qmail-remote host sender recip [ recip ... ] DESCRIPTION
qmail-remote reads a mail message from its input and sends the message to one or more recipients at a remote host. The remote host is qmail-remote's first argument, host. qmail-remote sends the message to host, or to a mail exchanger for host listed in the Domain Name System, via the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). host can be either a fully-qualified domain name: silverton.berkeley.edu or an IP address enclosed in brackets: [128.32.183.163] The envelope recipient addresses are listed as recip arguments to qmail-remote. The envelope sender address is listed as sender. Note that qmail-remote does not take options and does not follow the getopt standard. TRANSPARENCY
End-of-file in SMTP is encoded as dot CR LF. A dot at the beginning of a line is encoded as dot dot. It is impossible in SMTP to send a message that does not end with a newline. qmail-remote converts the UNIX newline convention into the SMTP newline convention by inserting CR before each LF. It is a violation of the SMTP protocol to send a message that contains long lines or non-ASCII characters. However, qmail-remote will hap- pily send such messages. It is the user's responsibility to avoid generating illegal messages. RESULTS
qmail-remote prints some number of recipient reports, followed by a message report. Each report is terminated by a 0 byte. Each report begins with a single letter: r Recipient report: acceptance. h Recipient report: permanent rejection. s Recipient report: temporary rejection. K Message report: success. host has taken responsibility for delivering the message to each acceptable recipient. Z Message report: temporary failure. D Message report: permanent failure. After this letter comes a human-readable description of what happened. The recipient reports will always be printed in the same order as qmail-remote's recip arguments. Note that in failure cases there may be fewer recipient reports than recip arguments. qmail-remote always exits zero. CONTROL FILES
helohost Current host name, for use solely in saying hello to the remote SMTP server. Default: me, if that is supplied; otherwise qmail-remote refuses to run. smtproutes Artificial SMTP routes. Each route has the form domain:relay, without any extra spaces. If domain matches host, qmail-remote will connect to relay, as if host had relay as its only MX. (It will also avoid doing any CNAME lookups on recip.) host may include a colon and a port number to use instead of the normal SMTP port, 25: inside.af.mil:firewall.af.mil:26 relay may be empty; this tells qmail-remote to look up MX records as usual. smtproutes may include wildcards: .af.mil: :heaven.af.mil Here any address ending with .af.mil (but not af.mil itself) is routed by its MX records; any other address is artificially routed to heaven.af.mil. The qmail system does not protect you if you create an artificial mail loop between machines. However, you are always safe using smt- proutes if you do not accept mail from the network. timeoutconnect Number of seconds qmail-remote will wait for the remote SMTP server to accept a connection. Default: 60. The kernel normally imposes a 75-second upper limit. timeoutremote Number of seconds qmail-remote will wait for each response from the remote SMTP server. Default: 1200. SEE ALSO
addresses(5), envelopes(5), qmail-control(5), qmail-send(8), qmail-smtpd(8), qmail-tcpok(8), qmail-tcpto(8) qmail-remote(8)