Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Help with -newer command Post 302157668 by bbbngowc on Friday 11th of January 2008 05:33:54 PM
Old 01-11-2008
Need Help with -newer command

Ok, here's the situation:

There's a script that runs every day on a UNIX box that collects files. The script has now been changed so that at the start of a new day, the script would create a new folder and then copy files to it for that day.

This has put me in a dilema as I have a script that would check the folder for new files and copy them to another location. I accomplished this using the -newer command. But now that the files are copied to a new folder ech morning, I can't use the newer command any more, because at the beginning of the day there won't be a file to compare the newer file to.

How can I now, check the new folder for new files and to keep checking the new folder throughout the day for new files????

I hope that made sense. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar --newer = tar --newer-mtime ?

Hi, I have the following question : As far as I know unix doesn't store file creation dates. Would that imply the following? tar -cvzf backup.tar --newer is equal to: tar -cvzf backup.tar --newer-mtime ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files newer than...

Is there a way to use the find command to locate files newer than a specific date? Thanks! --Alex (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with find ! -newer

Hi, I would like to find if a file called test.log is older than 10 min. So i wrote : #!/usr/bin/ksh FICLOG="/home/uuu/result_test.log" FIC="/home/uuu/test.log" touch -t `perl -e 'use POSIX qw(strftime); printf("%s\n",strftime("%m%d%H%M",localtime(time-3600*0.17)));'`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbfree
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i am newer to unix platform

i have to select particular fields from a multiple line record. my record is in dump.txt file and looks like this ******************* tipo = abonado simplex, Idiomas = dic1 - none, Operador = estandar Serv. portadora admitido: modem ind = 0 numero telefonico = 79260960, att = 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: junaid.nehvi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file1 newer then file2

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and i need to create a script with the following directions and I can not figure it out. Create a shell script called newest.bash that takes two filenames as input arguments ($1 and $2) and prints out the name of the newest file (i.e. the file with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mandylynn78
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls files newer than 6 hours

How do I list al files in a folder with a creation date/time newer than 6 hours? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command not searching path when -newer specified

When this command is issued from a directory other than where the file is located it works fine: find /db2/D01/log_archive/ -name "S0002166.LOG" -type f /db2/D01/log_archive/db2d01/D01/NODE0000/C0000000/S0002166.LOG When I change -name to -newer, it doesn't work. Find only searches the current... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fletchdb2
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help going from power pc to newer computer!

I have a Unix server running on a powerPC dating back to 2000. I need to change the computer to something newer. I also need to keep running Unix as the OS in order to run the Medical monitoring software we have. Is there a way to do this? I have the IBM AIX-Unix running a Multiview Workstation... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maverick27
10 Replies

9. Linux Benchmarks

Newer PC build.

Just decided to run the benchmark for the heck of it. -Version- Dist: Debian GNU/Linux 8.5 CPU/Speed: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz RAM: DDR4 DRAM 64 GB 3000 MHz CMK64GX4M4B3000C15 MB: Maximus VIII Ranger Bus: 8 sata, 1 M.2 Socket 3 Cache: L2=4 x 256KB, L3=8 MB shared... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bajanine
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy file only if newer

I only want the file copied if it is newer. But it still copies the file? zip -u Ubuntu_Documents.zip ./* cp -u Ubuntu_Documents.zip $DOCS_Backup/Ubuntu_Documents_`date +"%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M"`.zip (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
RMM(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMM(1)

NAME
rmm - remove messages SYNOPSIS
rmm [+folder] [msgs] [-unlink | -nounlink] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
By default, rmm will remove the specified messages by renaming each of the message files with a site-dependent prefix (usually a comma). Such files will then need to be removed in some manner after a certain amount of time. Many sites arrange for cron to remove these files once a day, so check with your system administrator. Alternately, if you wish for rmm to really remove the files representing these messages, you can use the -unlink switch. But messages removed by this method cannot be later recovered. If you prefer a more sophisticated method of `removing' messages, you can define the rmmproc profile component. For example, you can add a profile component such as rmmproc: /home/foouser/bin/rmm_msgs then instead of simply renaming the message file, rmm will call the named program or script to handle the files that represent the messages to be deleted. Some users of csh prefer the following: alias rmm 'refile +d' where folder `+d' is a folder for deleted messages, and alias mexp 'rm `mhpath +d all`' is used to "expunge" deleted messages. The current message is not changed by rmm, so a next will advance to the next message in the folder as expected. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message SEE ALSO
refile(1), rmf(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to cur `-nounlink' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. BUGS
Since refile uses your rmmproc to delete the message, the rmmproc must NOT call refile without specifying -normmproc, or you will create an infinte loop. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMM(1)