Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Echo with ksh shell
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Echo with ksh shell Post 302157532 by Khoomfire on Friday 11th of January 2008 06:34:48 AM
Old 01-11-2008
Echo with ksh shell

Hi All,
I'm trying to use the "echo" command in a korn shell script, and I want it to drop the trailing newline. Now I know that with the bash shell, the "-n" flag would solve this issue. Does anyone know how this can be done with the korn shell?

Cheers
Khoom

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo $SHELL, $PWD and etc.

hi, this echo $SHELL will give the shell name.. how to get the other list of variables (besides SHELL) values? and also, different shells have different variable names (example SHELL) (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl equivalent of ksh if / echo statement

Is there an equivalent perl statement for the following ksh statement ? example if then ... else ... fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is ksh equivalent of bash echo -n ?

Hi folks, I need to stop printing a new line after echoing a string in KSH. i know bash provides echo -n "string" what is the ksh equivalent for this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mudhireddy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell and echo

Probably my first post, very new to shell scripting :) Here is the script i am trying to modify to use function # Script to create simple menus and take action according to that selected # menu item # while : do clear echo "-------------------------------------" echo "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: replyramdas
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - how to echo something in color and bold

Hi all, I was to echo Hi in Red and Bold ; and echo There is in Green and bold I got bold to working using tput bold but i am having hard time getting the color. Any help is appreciated, jak (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

echo in ksh sh & bash

Hello, I have lib file which contain a function that get text to print on screen by echo command. Several scripts are inculde this lib and use this function. Each one of them is written in different shell language (sh ksh & bash). This causing some issues when using backslash charater as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alalush
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file.

Hello All Nice to meet you all here in this forum, it's my 1rst time here i'm asking about a little issue that i face i added a ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file. the script is working fine with normal telnet but Xstart is not working... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell echo help needed

echo '#!/usr/local/bin/expect' > sree_expt echo "spawn passwd $User" >> sree_expt echo 'expect "New password:"' >> sree_expt echo send "$Password\r" >> sree_expt echo 'expect "Re-enter new password:"' >> sree_expt echo send "$Password\r" >> sree_expt echo "expect eof" >> sree_expt for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreedhargouda
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n in ksh using echo & printf

#!/usr/bin/ksh var1="Hi World" var2="Morning" var3=$(echo "$var1" \n "$var2") echo $var3 var3=$(printf "$var1 \n $var2") echo $var3 Output Any way to get in my $var3 ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

please explain why this ksh echo deletes character

Please explain why this works. Am unable to find another definition for the '%', which would explain this behaviour: spaceLeft=`df -h /myPartition | tail -1` # output looks like: /dev/sda5 10G 1.2G 12G 29% / set -- $space #this deletes the trailing '%' sign, which is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frododot
6 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)