Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete first 5 lines and last five lines in all text files Post 302157441 by summer_cherry on Friday 11th of January 2008 01:38:57 AM
Old 01-11-2008
shell

Hi,

This one is used to delete certain number of line from the head and end of file in a given direcotory.

Hope it is useful for you.

Quote:
echo "please input how many lines you want cut from the head and end"
read line
echo "input the direcoty"
read dir
cd $dir
for i in *
do
n=`cat $i | wc -l`
m=`expr $n - $line`
rel=`expr $m + 1`
sed -e "1d" -e "$rel,\$d" $i > $i.bak

done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Delete specific lines in a text file

Hi, experts, I would like to create a function that can calculate the total number of lines in a saved text file and delete specific lines in that particular file (I only want the last few lines). Hav anybody have the experience and giv me a hand in this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dniz
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines containing text with sed

hello all I have bunch of files containing lines of text that surrounding by <# .......#> tags I like to delete this lines from the text files whiteout open the files , can it be done with sed ? or other unix tool (perl mybe )? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blocks of lines from text file

Hello, Hello Firends, I have file like below. I want to remove selected blocks say abc,pqr,lst. how can i remove those blocks from file. zone abc { blah blah blah } zone xyz { blah blah blah } zone pqr { blah blah blah } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete vertical lines in an text file

Hi everybody! I need to delete several vertical lines in a huge text file. It should work like the example below. Delete the vertical lines 2 and 8. 123456789 masldfjla afsajfwel sajfljsaf safsarfrl sajfeljwq 1345679 msldfja asajfwl sjfljsf sfsarfl sjfeljq Is there a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: relaxo
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

looking for a script that will delete lines in a text file

it will grep for a line and then delete these line. how do i begin to write this script if theres no available one? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garfish
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to delete all lines from a group of files except the 1st 2 lines

Hello, I have a group of text files with many lines in each file. I need to delete all the lines in each and only leave 2 lines in each file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines from text file?

hi guys, I have very large txt files (200GB) and just want to to delete the first two lines (headers). So far I used sed -i '1,2d' infile.txtbut this command always takes extremely long as it writes all again. Is there a better way to do it (ie just to delete the lines without writing all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuAd
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk to delete single lines that aren't touching other lines

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to use sed or awk to delete single lines in a file. By single, I mean lines that are not touching any other lines (just one line with white space above and below). Example: one two three four five six seven eight I want it to look like: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: slimjbe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines above and below specific line of text

I'm trying to remove a specific number of lines, above and below a specific line of text, highlighted in red: <STMTTRN> <TRNTYPE>CREDIT <DTPOSTED>20151205000001 <TRNAMT>10 <FITID>667800001 <CHECKNUM>667800001 <MEMO>BALANCE </STMTTRN> <STMTTRN> <TRNTYPE>DEBIT <DTPOSTED>20151207000001... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bomsom
8 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - Reads one line from standard input SYNOPSIS
line STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: line: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None DESCRIPTION
The line command copies one line, up to and including a newline, from standard input and writes it to standard output. Use this command within a shell command file to read from your terminal. The line command always writes at least a newline character. NOTES
The line utility has no internationalization features and is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. Use the read utility instead. EXIT STATUS
Success. End-of-File. EXAMPLES
To read a line from the keyboard and append it to a file, enter: echo 'Enter comments for the log:' echo ': c' line >>log This shell procedure displays the message: Enter comments for the log: It then reads a line of text from the keyboard and adds it to the end of the file log. The echo ': c' command displays a : (colon) prompt. See the echo command for information about the c escape sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: echo(1), ksh(1), read(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: read(2) Standards: standards(5) line(1)