Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash Shell - # of arguments
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Shell - # of arguments Post 302157238 by denn on Thursday 10th of January 2008 12:23:12 PM
Old 01-10-2008
one way
Code:
 echo $#

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash functions arguments

This script is called fuu; #!/bin/bash speak() { case $1 in 1)echo one ;; 2)echo two ;; 3)echo three ;; esac } speak exit 0 when i run fuu 2 i expect "two" like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tártaro
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash too many arguments error

Hello, I've got this little script that gets a bunch of comics and puts them in an html file. However, when I check that the comic URL is there and that it's a new one, I get the "too many arguments" error. The script is this: CADURL=`curl --silent http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/ | grep -o... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: killer54291
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash read within function with arguments

I have trouble getting this logic to work #!/bin/bash function assign_var(){ while do read -p "$2 :" $3 done } assign_var '$IPADDRESS' ipaddress IPADDRESS Basicly, i want to make sure that entry is made (i can add more sophisticated checks later), but the idea is to recycle... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: serverchief
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

arguments in bash

this script moves all the doc files to a specified directory....i have managed to put an argument but the problem im facing is puting the full path where the scripts are moving to for example i want to run the script like this below ./loo -d then path where im moving the files (i.e ./loo -d the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

arguments in bash

This script moves all the doc files to a specified directory. I have managed to put an argument but the problem I am facing is putting the full path where the scripts are moving to, for example I want to run the script like this below ./loo -d then path where im moving the files (i.e ./loo -d... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments from a bash shell script to a command

I'm pretty new to bash scripting and I've found myself writing things like this (and the same with even more nesting): if $CATEGORIES; then if $LABEL_SLOTS; then $pyth "$wd/texify_grammar.py" "$input" "$texfile" "--label-slots" "--categories" "$CATEGORY_LIST" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: burbly
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script with arguments

Could someone help me with the script below? I am trying to make a script having just one arguement as a command and then it executes the appropriate code #!/bin/bash if then echo "Available commands:" echo "./exec.sh cmd1" echo "./exec.sh cmd2" elif then cmd1 =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spiridakos
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Programmable completion for two arguments in bash

Hi there! I have this script which handles bookmarks. Bookmarks are basically a string that point to a certain path, e.g., project -> ~/code/projects/project. Currently I have working completion for the bookmarks: ~ $ m p<Tab> ~ $ m project What I want to implement now is the cd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: KevinSjoberg
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash function failing with [: too many arguments

I'm reading Wicked Cool Shell Scripts. For some reason, the function pasted in below gives the error: ./inpath2: line 10: in_path() 4 { 5 cmd=$1 ourpath=$2 result=1 6 oldIFS=$IFS IFS=":" 7 8 for directory in "$ourpath" 9 do 10 if ; then 11 result=0 12 fi... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakeroberts
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] cd: too many arguments

Hello everyone, Could someone please explain to me why I get cd: too many arguments when I select a dir that has one or more spaces in the name? This is the code #!/bin/bash tmp_loc=$(zenity --file-selection --directory) if ]; then exit 0 else location=${tmp_loc// /\\ } # this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: soichiro
7 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)