Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to include spreadsheet::ParseExcel in shell script Post 302157194 by sysgate on Thursday 10th of January 2008 10:17:08 AM
Old 01-10-2008
This is perl module, and therefore can be used within perl script like :
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use Spreadsheet::ParseExcel;

the module has to be installed, here's the usage and examples.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to include shell script in C program

hi I want to call a shell script in C program the script is : ssh -t user@remote sh /<remote>home/user/<file_name>.sh and other several commands C program : Call this script and the retrive the task that is been done in <file_name>.sh file can any one tell me how... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridula
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include RETURN KEY with Background process "&" in Shell Script

Hello All, I am a newbie in Shell script programming, and maybe you can help me with my query. I need to write a shell script (mntServer.ksh) that will start a background process and also to be able to run another script. The mntServer.ksh script contains: #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Include PERL script with in the unix shell script

Hi Gurus, Is it possible to include perl script with in the unix shell script? What would be the general syntax? In the above case, is it required to write the below first two lines of codes? #!usr/bin/sh -x #!usr/bin/perl -w Thanks in advance / Mysore Ganapati. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganapati
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include a command in shell script?

# dbc "delete from alert;" DELETE 10 # However, the script created below generates an error that command does not exits. Can any one please exist. script.sh: #!/bin/sh dbc "delete from alert;" >>$TASKLOGFILE ./script.sh: line 38: dbc: command not found can any one please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use ssh execute other shell script on other host (shell script include nohup)?

i want use ssh on the host01 to execute autoexec.sh on the host02 like following : host01> ssh host02 autoexec.sh autoexec.sh include nohup command like follwing : nohup /home/jack/deletedata.sh & after i execute ssh host02 autoexec.sh one the host01. i can't found deletedata.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orablue
1 Replies

6. Programming

extract the same format from existing excel file using " Spreadsheet::ParseExcel " module

Hi , can any one tell me,"How to extract the same format from existing excel file to new excel file " using Spreadsheet::WriteExcel or Spreadsheet::ParseExcel module ??? Example_pgm: Below program is used to read existing excel file..In this program "my $cell = $_;" line is used to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavi.mogu
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't locate Spreadsheet/ParseExcel

Hi I can't seem to figure out why i keep getting this error. the Spreadsheet::PhaseExcel is installed on 3 servers and is working on only 2... the last one it is installed exactly the same way but I keep getting this error. This is whats odd. If i run this script as a normal user i get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpundit
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache Hosting-Shell Script - external files include

Hi there Well, it's my first time on this board, so short to myself: I'm matibaski, working as a webdeveloper and also as a system administrator on ubuntu server machines. The problem: I created a small apache-hostingscript by myself and it works fine. But after some addings and new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matibaski
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Export emails into spreadsheet (script)

I 'd like to export emails from my mail client(mac) inbox into an Excel spreadsheet. I need the Subject, From fields, Return-Path and the Message-ID. Does anyone know how I can do this? Thanks, Newbie :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cris
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include menu based options in Shell script?

Hi Friends, I have a menu based tool which requires input/option to proceed further. How to make a shell script ? eg: menu looks like Get_data.sh to continue (y/n) : Here I need to key in "y" to proceed. I want to prepare a script which should consider option y. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
5 Replies
Read(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 Read(3pm)

NAME
Spreadsheet::Read - Read the data from a spreadsheet SYNOPSIS
use Spreadsheet::Read; my $ref = ReadData ("test.csv", sep => ";"); my $ref = ReadData ("test.sxc"); my $ref = ReadData ("test.ods"); my $ref = ReadData ("test.xls"); my $ref = ReadData ("test.xlsx"); my $ref = ReadData ($fh, parser => "xls"); my $a3 = $ref->[1]{A3}, " "; # content of field A3 of sheet 1 DESCRIPTION
Spreadsheet::Read tries to transparently read *any* spreadsheet and return its content in a universal manner independent of the parsing module that does the actual spreadsheet scanning. For OpenOffice this module uses Spreadsheet::ReadSXC For Microsoft Excel this module uses Spreadsheet::ParseExcel or Spreadsheet::XLSX For CSV this module uses Text::CSV_XS (0.29 or up required, 0.73 or up preferred) or Text::CSV_PP (1.05 or up required). For SquirrelCalc there is a very simplistic built-in parser Data structure The data is returned as an array reference: $ref = [ # Entry 0 is the overall control hash { sheets => 2, sheet => { "Sheet 1" => 1, "Sheet 2" => 2, }, type => "xls", parser => "Spreadsheet::ParseExcel", version => 0.26, }, # Entry 1 is the first sheet { label => "Sheet 1", maxrow => 2, maxcol => 4, cell => [ undef, [ undef, 1 ], [ undef, undef, undef, undef, undef, "Nugget" ], ], A1 => 1, B5 => "Nugget", }, # Entry 2 is the second sheet { label => "Sheet 2", : : To keep as close contact to spreadsheet users, row and column 1 have index 1 too in the "cell" element of the sheet hash, so cell "A1" is the same as "cell" [1, 1] (column first). To switch between the two, there are two helper functions available: "cell2cr ()" and "cr2cell ()". The "cell" hash entry contains unformatted data, while the hash entries with the traditional labels contain the formatted values (if applicable). The control hash (the first entry in the returned array ref), contains some spreadsheet meta-data. The entry "sheet" is there to be able to find the sheets when accessing them by name: my %sheet2 = %{$ref->[$ref->[0]{sheet}{"Sheet 2"}]}; Functions my $ref = ReadData ($source [, option => value [, ... ]]); my $ref = ReadData ("file.csv", sep => ',', quote => '"'); my $ref = ReadData ("file.xls", dtfmt => "yyyy-mm-dd"); my $ref = ReadData ("file.ods"); my $ref = ReadData ("file.sxc"); my $ref = ReadData ("content.xml"); my $ref = ReadData ($content); my $ref = ReadData ($fh, parser => "xls"); Tries to convert the given file, string, or stream to the data structure described above. Processing Excel data from a stream or content is supported through a File::Temp temporary file or IO::Scalar when available. ReadSXC does preserve sheet order as of version 0.20. Currently supported options are: parser Force the data to be parsed by a specific format. Possible values are "csv", "prl" (or "perl"), "sc" (or "squirelcalc"), "sxc" (or "oo", "ods", "openoffice") "xls" (or "excel"), and "xlsx" (or "excel2007"). When parsing streams, instead of files, it is highly recommended to pass this option. cells Control the generation of named cells ("A1" etc). Default is true. rc Control the generation of the {cell}[c][r] entries. Default is true. attr Control the generation of the {attr}[c][r] entries. Default is false. See "Cell Attributes" below. clip If set, "ReadData ()" will remove all trailing lines and columns per sheet that have no visual data. This option is only valid if "cells" is true. The default value is true if "cells" is true, and false otherwise. strip If set, "ReadData ()" will remove trailing- and/or leading-whitespace from every field. strip leading strailing ----- ------- --------- 0 n/a n/a 1 strip n/a 2 n/a strip 3 strip strip sep Set separator for CSV. Default is comma ",". quote Set quote character for CSV. Default is """. dtfmt Set the format for M$Excel date fields that are set to use the default date format. The default format in Excel is 'm-d-yy', which is both not year 2000 safe, nor very useful. The default is now 'yyyy-mm-dd', which is more ISO-like. Note that date formatting in M$Excel is not reliable at all, as it will store/replace/change the date field separator in already stored formats if you change your locale settings. So the above mentioned default can be either "m-d-yy" OR "m/d/yy" depending on what that specific character happened to be at the time the user saved the file. debug Enable some diagnostic messages to STDERR. The value determines how much diagnostics are dumped (using Data::Dumper). A value of 9 and higher will dump the entire structure from the back-end parser. Using CSV In case of CSV parsing, "ReadData ()" will use the first line of the file to auto-detect the separation character if the first argument is a file and both "sep" and "quote" are not passed as attributes. Text::CSV_XS (or Text::CSV_PP) is able to automatically detect and use " " line endings). CSV can parse streams too, but be sure to pass "sep" and/or "quote" if these do not match the default "," and """. Functions my $cell = cr2cell (col, row) "cr2cell ()" converts a "(column, row)" pair (1 based) to the traditional cell notation: my $cell = cr2cell ( 4, 14); # $cell now "D14" my $cell = cr2cell (28, 4); # $cell now "AB4" my ($col, $row) = cell2cr ($cell) "cell2cr ()" converts traditional cell notation to a "(column, row)" pair (1 based): my ($col, $row) = cell2cr ("D14"); # returns ( 4, 14) my ($col, $row) = cell2cr ("AB4"); # returns (28, 4) my @row = row ($ref, $row) my @row = Spreadsheet::Read::row ($ss->[1], 3) Get full row of formatted values (like "$ss->{A3} .. $ss->{G3}") Note that the indexes in the returned list are 0-based. "row ()" is not imported by default, so either specify it in the use argument list, or call it fully qualified. my @row = cellrow ($ref, $row) my @row = Spreadsheet::Read::cellrow ($ss->[1], 3) Get full row of unformatted values (like "$ss->{cell}[1][3] .. $ss->{cell}[7][3]") Note that the indexes in the returned list are 0-based. "cellrow ()" is not imported by default, so either specify it in the use argument list, or call it fully qualified. my @rows = rows ($ref) my @rows = Spreadsheet::Read::rows ($ss->[1]) Convert "{cell}"'s "[column][row]" to a "[row][column]" list. Note that the indexes in the returned list are 0-based, where the index in the "{cell}" entry is 1-based. "rows ()" is not imported by default, so either specify it in the use argument list, or call it fully qualified. parses ($format) Spreadsheet::Read::parses ("CSV") "parses ()" returns Spreadsheet::Read's capability to parse the required format. "parses ()" is not imported by default, so either specify it in the use argument list, or call it fully qualified. my $rs_version = Version () my $v = Spreadsheet::Read::Version () Returns the current version of Spreadsheet::Read. "Version ()" is not imported by default, so either specify it in the use argument list, or call it fully qualified. Cell Attributes If the constructor was called with "attr" having a true value, effort is made to analyze and store field attributes like this: { label => "Sheet 1", maxrow => 5, maxcol => 2, cell => [ undef, [ undef, 1 ], [ undef, undef, undef, undef, undef, "Nugget" ], ], attr => [ undef, [ undef, { type => "numeric", fgcolor => "#ff0000", bgcolor => undef, font => "Arial", size => undef, format => "## ##0.00", halign => "right", valign => "top", uline => 0, bold => 0, italic => 0, wrap => 0, merged => 0, hidden => 0, locked => 0, enc => "utf-8", }, ] [ undef, undef, undef, undef, undef, { type => "text", fgcolor => "#e2e2e2", bgcolor => undef, font => "Letter Gothic", size => 15, format => undef, halign => "left", valign => "top", uline => 0, bold => 0, italic => 0, wrap => 0, merged => 0, hidden => 0, locked => 0, enc => "iso8859-1", }, ] A1 => 1, B5 => "Nugget", }, This has now been partially implemented, mainly for Excel, as the other parsers do not (yet) support all of that. YMMV. TODO
Options Module Options New Spreadsheet::Read options are bound to happen. I'm thinking of an option that disables the reading of the data entirely to speed up an index request (how many sheets/fields/columns). See "xlscat -i". Parser options Try to transparently support as many options as the encapsulated modules support regarding (un)formatted values, (date) formats, hidden columns rows or fields etc. These could be implemented like "attr" above but names "meta", or just be new values in the "attr" hashes. Other spreadsheet formats I consider adding any spreadsheet interface that offers a usable API. Add an OO interface Consider making the ref an object, though I currently don't see the big advantage (yet). Maybe I'll make it so that it is a hybrid functional / OO interface. SEE ALSO
Text::CSV_XS, Text::CSV_PP http://search.cpan.org/dist/Text-CSV_XS , http://search.cpan.org/dist/Text-CSV_PP , and http://search.cpan.org/dist/Text-CSV . Text::CSV is a wrapper over Text::CSV_XS (the fast XS version) and/or Text::CSV_PP (the pure perl version) Spreadsheet::ParseExcel http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-ParseExcel Spreadsheet::XLSX http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-XLSX Spreadsheet::ReadSXC http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-ReadSXC Spreadsheet::BasicRead http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-BasicRead for xlscat likewise functionality (Excel only) Spreadsheet::ConvertAA http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-ConvertAA for an alternative set of cell2cr () / cr2cell () pair Spreadsheet::Perl http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-Perl offers a Pure Perl implementation of a spreadsheet engine. Users that want this format to be supported in Spreadsheet::Read are hereby motivated to offer patches. It's not high on my TODO-list. xls2csv http://search.cpan.org/dist/xls2csv offers an alternative for my "xlscat -c", in the xls2csv tool, but this tool focuses on character encoding transparency, and requires some other modules. AUTHOR
H.Merijn Brand, <h.m.brand@xs4all.nl> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005-2010 H.Merijn Brand This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-10-15 Read(3pm)