Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UID & GID of the running process Post 302156836 by sysgate on Wednesday 9th of January 2008 08:13:27 AM
Old 01-09-2008
You can get only the UID, like :
Code:
ps -ef | grep sendmail | awk '{print $1}'

, this will print the UID, in my case root, then you can look at /etc/passwd for the respective group.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

negative UID/GID?!! I can see 'em but what the hell do they mean?!

Just as the subject asks :) Thanks! hellz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellz
2 Replies

2. Solaris

NFS Mount UID and GID

I have a truble with NFS mount. When i mount remote dir, then all permissions changes! For example: # mkdir /data # mount 10.1.1.100:/var/data /data # ls -l /data drwxr-xr-x 7 nobody nobody 5632 Oct 22 14:55 file1 drwxr-xr-x 4 nobody nobody 512 Oct 22 14:55... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - Preserve owner/group with different UID/GID

Dear Folks :-) I want to rsync some files between some servers and preserve files owner and group (not UID or GID), in some machines UID and GID are differents, for example: a) In the rsync server: # stat vbseo.php File: `vbseo.php' Size: 26758 Blocks: 56 IO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Santi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GID & UID for HP-UX ?

Hi, can somebody tell me how to make directoriy in which all files will be generated as dir owner ? I'm able to add GID for directory group and files have group id like folder , but when i do same for user files still are created as user which creates them :( drwsrwsrwx 2 flexbul ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pp56825
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Numeric uid and gid in ls -l command

I´m listing the contents of a directory using the command ls -lI get numeric uid and gid for some lines. example: drwxr-xr-x root root 1970-01-01 01:00 sys -rw-r--r-- 501 20 0 2010-08-04 14:54 shutdown.bravo.rc drwxr-x--- 501 20 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flocki
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing uid,gid

Hi, I am new to scrippting need little help, I would like to change uid, gid of exisisting user, example User A current uid=1,gid=2 would like to change uid=4,gid=5 I know the command to change uid,gid but after changing I have to change permissions on folders also which are belonging... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uid ,gid value change

Present /home/dsadm# id dsadm uid=0(root) gid=0(root) ---------------------------------- needs to be /home/dsadm> id dsadm uid=23186(dsadm) gid=16284(gdstage) Please provide the command/steps for the above uid, gid value change Thanks in advance for all your support . ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
3 Replies

8. AIX

UID & GID instead of user name and group name

Hi Everyone, We are encountering the following issue on AIX 5.3. When we do ls -ltr the list displays only user id and group id instead of user name and group name. This is happening for all users except root. Whe we do ls -ltr with root user it shows perfectly fine. When we searched... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav.kunapa
25 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Display info about users (UID GID processes terminal)

I would like to get an opinion for my solution for this task and get feedback about better approach or mistakes I have made. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The task is to create a script which prints information about users whose names are specified in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kornfan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar extract: remap uid gid ?

OK, so simple question here: Is there anyway to REMAP, while extracting with tar, specific uid's and gid's on extracted files ? Background: The usual transfer between two servers with same literals username's names, but with different gid and uid. I would like, for example, files owned by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fidodido
6 Replies
PAM_ROOTOK(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						     PAM_ROOTOK(8)

NAME
pam_rootok - Gain only root access SYNOPSIS
pam_rootok.so [debug] DESCRIPTION
pam_rootok is a PAM module that authenticates the user if their UID is 0. Applications that are created setuid-root generally retain the UID of the user but run with the authority of an enhanced effective-UID. It is the real UID that is checked. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
The auth, acct and password module types are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The UID is 0. PAM_AUTH_ERR The UID is not 0. EXAMPLES
In the case of the su(1) application the historical usage is to permit the superuser to adopt the identity of a lesser user without the use of a password. To obtain this behavior with PAM the following pair of lines are needed for the corresponding entry in the /etc/pam.d/su configuration file: # su authentication. Root is granted access by default. auth sufficient pam_rootok.so auth required pam_unix.so SEE ALSO
su(1), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_rootok was written by Andrew G. Morgan, <morgan@kernel.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_ROOTOK(8)