Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how can i isolate the random sequence of numbers using awk? Post 302156835 by Perderabo on Wednesday 9th of January 2008 08:06:29 AM
Old 01-09-2008
Here is a sed command to do it all:
Code:
$ echo "c8::20030003ba13f6cc disk connected configured unknown
> f9::8808080809 useless junk" |sed -n '/disk/s/[^:]*::\([^ ]*\) .*$/\1/p'
20030003ba13f6cc
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating sequence numbers in unix

Hi, Is there a way to create sequence numbers in unix i have a set of batches(which contain records) and i want to assign a number to every batch. how can i do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dnat
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All, I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000. and simply display it. Plz HELP!!!!!! Regards, Waqas Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: isolate a part of a file name

hi there, i have a file named 'x20080613_x20100106.pwr1.gc', i want to isolate the part 'x20080613_x20100106' but by using the following line i isolate the part '.pwr1.gc': `awk '$0=substr($0, length($0)-7)' $temp` how can i reverse that? thank you! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: friend
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find the gap in the sequence of numbers

Hi Guys, I have a file with numbers in sequence. The sequence have been broken somewhere.. I need to find out at which number the sequence has been broken... For an example, consider this sequence, it needs to give me output as 4 (as 5 is missing) and 6(as 7 is missing) Thanks for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to isolate specific rows

Hi all! Let's say I have obtained this dataset from the ISI Web of Knowledge ... PT J AU Yousefi, Ramin Muhamad, Muhamad Rasat Zak, Ali Khorsand TI The effect of source temperature on morphological and optical properties of ZnO nanowires grown using a modified thermal... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidiqmk
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unique random numbers awk

Hi, I have a small piece of awk code (see below) that generates random numbers. gawk -F"," 'BEGIN { srand(); for (i = 1; i <= 30; i++) printf("%s AM329_%04d\n",$0,int(36 * rand())+1) }' OFS=, AM329_hole_names.csv The code works fine and generates alphanumeric numbers like AM329_0001,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theflamingmoe
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with appending random sequence to huge CDR file

Hi, I am in a terrible emergency. I have multiple cdr files with line count >6000. I need to append |0| | | | | | | |random| to end of each line. The random number should never repeat. Please help with a shell script to process all cdr's in a directory with above requirement. (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiburnair
23 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate sequence of numbers

I need awk script to generate part number sequencing based on data in multiple columns like below Input File --------- Col A|Col B|Col C| 1|a|x| 2|b|y| |c|z| | |m| | |n| And out put should be like 1ax 1ay 1az 1am 1an 1bx 1by (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aramacha
6 Replies

10. BSD

Mcookie, pkg -l to generate random sequence

I am setting this thread to this bsd forum, though it may fit into bash. But as using bsd and the terminal, I would like to generate a random sequence of alphanumerical digits, such as I use to do so on linux by typing just mcookiethis one gives me a pretty random password, but it does not on bsd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
0 Replies
BOOT.CONFIG(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    BOOT.CONFIG(5)

NAME
boot.config -- Configuration file for the boot blocks DESCRIPTION
The boot.config file contains options for the FreeBSD boot block code. When the FreeBSD boot loader runs, it searches the ``a'' slice of the boot partition for a boot.config file (as a result, slices which are missing an ``a'' partition require user intervention during the boot process). If the boot.config file is found, its contents are used as the default configuration options for the boot block code and are echoed to the system console. A valid format of this file is to put BIOS drive number, a controller type, a unit number, a partition, a kernel file name, and any other valid boot(8) option on a single line, as it is done at the ``boot:'' prompt. The options related to the boot image selection described below and all the other options available for boot.config are documented in detail in the boot(8) manual page. FILES
/boot.config parameters for the boot blocks (optional) EXAMPLES
The command: # echo "-P" > /boot.config will activate the serial console of FreeBSD. The command: # echo "1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader" > /boot.config will instruct the second stage of boot(8) on the first disk to boot with the third boot(8) stage from the second disk. The command: # echo "1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader -P" > /boot.config will do both of the above. SEE ALSO
boot(8), loader(8) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
May 13, 2007 BSD