Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how can i isolate the random sequence of numbers using awk? Post 302156814 by rcon1 on Wednesday 9th of January 2008 07:02:19 AM
Old 01-09-2008
how can i isolate the random sequence of numbers using awk?

as you can see there is a delimiter after c8 "::". Awk sees the rest as fields because it doesn't recognize spaces and tabs as delimiters. So i am basically looking to isolate 20030003ba13f6cc. Can anyone help?

c8::20030003ba13f6cc disk connected configured unknown

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating sequence numbers in unix

Hi, Is there a way to create sequence numbers in unix i have a set of batches(which contain records) and i want to assign a number to every batch. how can i do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dnat
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All, I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000. and simply display it. Plz HELP!!!!!! Regards, Waqas Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: isolate a part of a file name

hi there, i have a file named 'x20080613_x20100106.pwr1.gc', i want to isolate the part 'x20080613_x20100106' but by using the following line i isolate the part '.pwr1.gc': `awk '$0=substr($0, length($0)-7)' $temp` how can i reverse that? thank you! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: friend
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find the gap in the sequence of numbers

Hi Guys, I have a file with numbers in sequence. The sequence have been broken somewhere.. I need to find out at which number the sequence has been broken... For an example, consider this sequence, it needs to give me output as 4 (as 5 is missing) and 6(as 7 is missing) Thanks for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to isolate specific rows

Hi all! Let's say I have obtained this dataset from the ISI Web of Knowledge ... PT J AU Yousefi, Ramin Muhamad, Muhamad Rasat Zak, Ali Khorsand TI The effect of source temperature on morphological and optical properties of ZnO nanowires grown using a modified thermal... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidiqmk
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unique random numbers awk

Hi, I have a small piece of awk code (see below) that generates random numbers. gawk -F"," 'BEGIN { srand(); for (i = 1; i <= 30; i++) printf("%s AM329_%04d\n",$0,int(36 * rand())+1) }' OFS=, AM329_hole_names.csv The code works fine and generates alphanumeric numbers like AM329_0001,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theflamingmoe
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with appending random sequence to huge CDR file

Hi, I am in a terrible emergency. I have multiple cdr files with line count >6000. I need to append |0| | | | | | | |random| to end of each line. The random number should never repeat. Please help with a shell script to process all cdr's in a directory with above requirement. (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiburnair
23 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate sequence of numbers

I need awk script to generate part number sequencing based on data in multiple columns like below Input File --------- Col A|Col B|Col C| 1|a|x| 2|b|y| |c|z| | |m| | |n| And out put should be like 1ax 1ay 1az 1am 1an 1bx 1by (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aramacha
6 Replies

10. BSD

Mcookie, pkg -l to generate random sequence

I am setting this thread to this bsd forum, though it may fit into bash. But as using bsd and the terminal, I would like to generate a random sequence of alphanumerical digits, such as I use to do so on linux by typing just mcookiethis one gives me a pretty random password, but it does not on bsd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
0 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-an] [-e s] [-o list] [-tc] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1). BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)