Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Urgent:Comparing two Strings using If Loop Post 302156753 by Anji on Wednesday 9th of January 2008 01:44:23 AM
Old 01-09-2008
Urgent:Comparing two Strings using If Loop

Hi All,

Please help me out in this... I am new to scripting

How to compare two strings by using the same string in single loop,
I am using ksh

for ex:see the code snippet below
I am writing in java,
Can u guys tell me that in scripting

if ("string1"=="string2" || "string1"=="string3")
{
//statements----
}
else
if("string2"="string3")
{
//statements
}

Thanks in advance.
Anji

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two strings

Hi How do i compare two strings in shell script. Below is an example but I am not getting the desired output, plz help if then echo success fi I am not getting the desired output if I do this. plz help (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
24 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Comparing strings

I have two strings a=Mar22 b=may21 how can I compare them Is this fine if then; . ... else .... fi or if then (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakyaj
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Two Strings

Hi All, While I am trying to run below code I Am getting the exception like ./abs.sh: line 102: syntax error near unexpected token `then' ./abs.sh: line 102: ` then' The Code Snippet is: if then cat $file1 | sed -e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing strings

i have a string in a file which gets repeated number of times like below: rpttxt("abc") . . rpttxt("REP_TITLE") rpttxt("BOS_TITLE") . . . . and so on using awk or grep how can i comapre the string( as the second half keeps varying) and store it in a temporary variable? I am using the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: agarwal
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing 2 strings

hi i have 2 strings. i want to compare the strings. please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two strings

hi All i am facing prob in comparing two strings that have two word. below is the code snippet. checkValidates="file validates" file3_name="file" if then echo "file" $file3_name "is validated successfully" fi when i run this i get the error as -bash: [: too many arguments ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing strings using nawk

Hello All Please I have got a file called DATE.tex which consist of 01-04-2008_12:00:00 01-04-2005_12:00:00 01-04-2003_12:00:00 01-04-2007_12:00:00 01-04-2002_12:00:00 01-04-2009_12:00:00 I want to use nawk to print out the dates >=01-04-2009_12:00:00 I tried this cat plnt.new |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganiel24
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Comparing 2 strings from text

Hey guys how do I compare 2 strings from the text file, and check for duplication? For example, I add an item call Laptop, it will record to the textfile call file. If it detects duplicate it will say the record record exist? file.txt contains Laptop:Sony:1000 Phone:Apple:30 A head... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aLHaNz
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing strings as ints

Hi, So I got his code below. $year is a string of 2010,2011 etc. I guess I want to convert $year to an integer so I can do my if statement to see if the year string is greater than 2010? Or how could I do this? Right now I get a syntax error doing this. if; then do stuff fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need urgent help in comparing two fields in two files

Hi all, I have two files as below. I need to compare field 2 of file 1 against field 1 of file 2 and field 5 of file 1 against filed 2 of file 2. If both matches , then create a result file 1 with first file data and if not matches , then create file with first fie data. Please help me in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sivarajb
1 Replies
CTYPE_GRAPH(3)								 1							    CTYPE_GRAPH(3)

ctype_graph - Check for any printable character(s) except space

SYNOPSIS
bool ctype_graph (string $text) DESCRIPTION
Checks if all of the characters in the provided string, $text, creates visible output. PARAMETERS
o $text - The tested string. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if every character in $text is printable and actually creates visible output (no white space), FALSE otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A ctype_graph(3) example <?php $strings = array('string1' => "asdf ", 'string2' => 'arf12', 'string3' => 'LKA#@%.54'); foreach ($strings as $name => $testcase) { if (ctype_graph($testcase)) { echo "The string '$name' consists of all (visibly) printable characters. "; } else { echo "The string '$name' does not consist of all (visibly) printable characters. "; } } ?> The above example will output: The string 'string1' does not consist of all (visibly) printable characters. The string 'string2' consists of all (visibly) printable characters. The string 'string3' consists of all (visibly) printable characters. NOTES
Note If an integer between -128 and 255 inclusive is provided, it is interpreted as the ASCII value of a single character (negative val- ues have 256 added in order to allow characters in the Extended ASCII range). Any other integer is interpreted as a string contain- ing the decimal digits of the integer. SEE ALSO
ctype_alnum(3), ctype_print(3), ctype_punct(3). PHP Documentation Group CTYPE_GRAPH(3)