Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Based on the permision in the dir can i delete the file Post 302156549 by awk on Tuesday 8th of January 2008 12:49:49 PM
Old 01-08-2008
Based on the directory information:

drwxrwsr-x 3 intermec intermec 10240 Jan 8 09:07 intermec

you must be either intermec, or part of the intermec group, to have permission to delete files. You can check your group priveledges by typing:

groups

I am not absolutely sure why the sticky bit in the directrory structure is set. - sorry.

The directory is open to the public - where they have read and search (able to change into the directory) but unable to create or delete files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to delete a file based on existing file in a directory

hi i am having four files in a directory.like 1)sampleRej 2)exampleRej 3)samplemain 4)examplemain my requirement is i have to search for the rejected files (sampleRej,exampleRej) in a directory.if these files in that directory then i have to delete the main files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Permision

Hi, I want to know how the file permision should change to 755 automatically once the file is created. At the moment I do it explicitely by changing the permission mode to 755 using chmod command. The default permission for a new file in my system is 644 (-rw-r--r--). Thanks Saumya (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sommyp
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete an empty file from dir.

Hi, I have an dir which has 50K file, some of them are empty. I want to delete the empty file from the dir. I am planning to use the following command. ls -l | grep " 0 " | awk '{print $9}' I can copy this to an file and then how do I use this file to delete the empty files.... Any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Script40
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete File Based On Date

Hi Xpert Out There I have a lots of file in this path : -rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 3954176 Dec 21 2006 1_2008.dbf -rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 887808 Dec 21 2006 1_2009.dbf -rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 143872 Dec 21 2006 1_2010.dbf -rw-r----- 1 oracle dba ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adzuanamir
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file permision

Hello, I have a program which at run time creates a shell script and tries to redirect the output of the same to another file. both of the files are created at run time with different names. The problem is: the file it is redirecting to is being created as: -rw-r--r-- 1 root tech 69... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandan.sharma
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete block of text in one file based on list in another file

Hi all I currently use the following in shell. #!/bin/sh while read LINE do perl -i -ne "$/ = ''; print if !m'Using archive: ${LINE}'ms;" "datafile" done < "listfile" NOTE the single quote delimiters in the expression. It's highly likely the 'LINE' may very well have characters in it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script to find dir, delete files in, and then del dir?

Hello!! I have directories from 2008, with files in them. I want to create a script that will find the directoried from 2008 (example directory: drwxr-xr-x 2 isplan users 1024 Nov 21 2008 FILES_112108), delete the files within those directories and then delete the directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

windows partition file permision

I hava a windows NTFS partition on fedora15. The partitions auto-mounts to /media/Data ever starting of KDE. /dev/sda5 on /media/Data type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096) But I cant change the file permission in this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vistastar
1 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to delete dir and sub dir

Guys, can you tell me how to delete directory and sub directory with files in them, for example: /system/upgrade/title/sub/var/vito/ I would like to delete 'title' and everything under it. Every sub dir contains files which need to be deleted as well. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DallasT
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines from file based on condition

I want to keep last 2 days data from a file and want to delete others data from the file. Please help me. Sample Input # cat messages-2 Apr 15 11:25:03 test1 kernel: imklog 4.6.2, log source = /proc/kmsg started. Apr 15 11:25:03 test1 rsyslogd: (re)start Apr 16 19:42:03 test1 kernel:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
2 Replies
STICKY(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 STICKY(8)

NAME
sticky -- sticky text and append-only directories DESCRIPTION
A special file mode, called the sticky bit (mode S_ISVTX), is used to indicate special treatment for shareable executable files and directo- ries. See chmod(2) or the file /usr/include/sys/stat.h for an explanation of file modes. STICKY TEXT EXECUTABLE FILES
The sticky bit has no effect on executable files. All optimization on whether text images remain resident in memory is handled by the ker- nel's virtual memory system. STICKY DIRECTORIES
A directory whose `sticky bit' is set becomes an append-only directory, or, more accurately, a directory in which the deletion of files is restricted. A file in a sticky directory may only be removed or renamed by a user if the user has write permission for the directory and the user is the owner of the file, the owner of the directory, or the super-user. This feature is usefully applied to directories such as /tmp which must be publicly writable but should deny users the license to arbitrarily delete or rename each others' files. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod(1) for details about modifying file modes. BUGS
Neither open(2) nor mkdir(2) will create a file with the sticky bit set. HISTORY
A sticky command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 5, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution