Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Building a 43p using BOOTP
Operating Systems AIX Building a 43p using BOOTP Post 302156165 by bakunin on Monday 7th of January 2008 12:27:00 PM
Old 01-07-2008
Ok, some suggestions of where the error could be:

1) NIM is utilizing the bootp protocol and hence, if the NIM server and the client are on different networks, the router/bridge/switch must be able to forward bootp requests. Is that the case?

2) NIM uses the MAC adress of the client as identification. To make the server not ignore the clients request you have to pre-define the client on the server. Have you checked this definition?

3) has nothing to do with the NIM installation but:

Quote:
Further the CDROM does not even appear in the SMS boot list.
You *are* aware that you can alter this boot list in the SMS menu, aren't you? If you are not: this is hard to explain over the internet, but there is a redbook for the 43P and the process of how to alter the bootlist is described there. If you just want to install the machine and do not care if it is done via NIM or any other means, this should solve your problem.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bootp/tftp

Hi, Setting up print queue, using SMIT on AIX And I have an option saying do I wish to make this a BOOTP/TFTP server. What exactly does this do? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Install PXE/BootP/TFTP

Im trying to help my professor at school, were trying to setup a linux server, that is configured with bootp/tftp/PXE. the client computer NICs have support to boot off PXE. What we would like to do is if a client computer does not have an OS, it would boot off the server, and display a menu to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwalick
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Save 43p bios?

Is there any way to backup the bios on a 43P-140 7043? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: freestyle10269
0 Replies

4. Linux

BOOTP on HP Thin clients

Please m new around here! Can anyone take me thru implementing bootp on my thin clients via my central server? Preciate ur assistance. Thanks folks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuk_uka
2 Replies

5. AIX

43p 120

I have acquired a 43p 120 (7248-120) and I have two questions: Can anyone remember what is the highest version of AIX which I can install (5.1 I believe) and Can anyone remember how to boot this from the CDROM (boot floppy?) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnf
1 Replies

6. SCO

Need help in BOOTP Server and Client configuration

Dear All; I need help in configuring the BOOTP server, I have found something on internet forums regarding the file: bootptab and editing some lines but Im not if they are all correct. Also, I need help to configure my clients (UNIX) to boot up with this bootp server(UNIX). I will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amirzandi
1 Replies

7. AIX

model 43P 7248 Recovery!

HI all! this is my problem: my boss got a Model 43P 7248-100 PowerPC server with the AIX 4.2 os, but some days ago it crashed and now it doesn't want to boot up again, it stops after the initial diagnostic phase with the "PowerPC" screen! I must recover some important data from the hard disk, so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AKO
6 Replies

8. AIX

brisque impose 43P 150 aix version 4 HELP!!!!!!!!

hi to everybody I have a problem with the AIX version 4: I can not get into failsafe session kindly someone knows how to enter this mode? thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elektrospeed
5 Replies

9. AIX

EXP400 with 43P machine not booting

Hello I connected the exp400 & turned on the aix machine which is 7043-150 but now I guess probably ODM is corrupted as it does not boot. Its stuck at 0518 code. Also, on the console it shows stuck on the kernel, which then it does not want to boot. Is it possible to fix from maintenance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdhawan
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Bootp/tftp issue neeeeeed help plz

i find a solution (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shady_2005
2 Replies
bootpd(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 bootpd(8)

Name
       bootpd - Server to help boot diskless clients

Syntax
       /usr/etc/bootpd [ -d ] [ -i ]

Description
       The server is for the Internet BOOTP protocol (a UDP-based protocol).  This allows a diskless machine to find out its Internet address, the
       address of a bootserver, and the name of a file to boot.

The server is either started from or from If is started from the -i flag must be supplied by The server reads its configuration file,  when
       it starts up. When a new request arrives, checks to see if the file has been modified, and if so, reads it again.

If  started  by	waits  until  no new requests arrive for one minute.  This limits the overhead of restarting the daemon without tying up a
       process slot when nothing is happening.	The following is an example of the format of the configuration file:
       #
       # /etc/bootptab:  database for bootp server (/usr/etc/bootpd)
       #
       # Blank lines and lines beginning with '#' are ignored.
       #
       # home directory

/usr/local/bootfiles

# default bootfile

defaultboot

# end of first section

%%

#
       # The remainder of this file contains one line per client
       # interface with the information shown by the table headings
       # below. The host name is also tried as a suffix for the
       # bootfile when searching the home directory (that is,
       # bootfile.host)
       #
       # host	      htype haddr	  iaddr 	 bootfile
       #

hostx	      1 02:60:8c:06:35:05 99.44.0.65	 ultrix
       hosty	      1 02:07:01:00:30:02 99.44.0.65	 vms
       hostz	      1 02:60:8c:00:77:78 99.44.0.03	 lps40
       node1	      1 02:60:8c:00:99:47 99.44.0.01	 tops20
       The first two lines specify the home (default) directory and the default bootfile, respectively.  A line starting with  two  percent  signs
       (%%) separates these first lines from the host information table, which contains an entry for each bootable host.

You  should  start with a configuration file similar to this and edit the host entries to correspond to your local systems.  The host field
       does not have to be a formal host name; it is used for identification in the log file and also as a  possible  extension  to  the  bootfile
       name.

The  is	always	1  and	corresponds to the hardware type assigned Ethernet by the Assigned Numbers RFC.  The field can use a period (.), a
       hyphen (-), or a colon (:) as separators.  The entry is the file used if the client does not know the name of the file it  wants  to  boot.
       This is frequently the case when a diskless workstation is booted.

The server logs interesting events using

Options
       -d   Logs all requests and indicates what responses are made.

-i   If is started from the -i flag must be supplied by

Files
       Configuration file

See Also
       inetd(8c), tftpd(8c)

bootpd(8)