Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Date Validation again
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Date Validation again Post 302156088 by dave_nithis on Monday 7th of January 2008 06:12:34 AM
Old 01-07-2008
This is the splitting part am having:

C_Date=`date -u +%m/%d/%Y`

year="$(echo $Date | cut -d/ -f3)"
month="$(echo $Date | cut -d/ -f1)"
day="$(echo $Date | cut -d/ -f2)"

cyear="$(echo $C_Date | cut -d/ -f3)"
cmonth="$(echo $C_Date | cut -d/ -f1)" cday="$(echo $C_Date | cut -d/ -f2)"
C_Date is current date i.e Today's Date.

#Validation
if [ $year -gt $cyear ]; then
echo "Enter Valid Year"
fi
Similarly am checking for month and day.Is there any other simple way to do the comparison using case Statement?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Date validation

Hi All, I've to validate a date input for the format YYYYMMDD. The input should be of 8 digits with only numeric values. I tried the following echo $1 | grep '^\{8}$/p' if then echo "Valid" else echo "invalid" I get the error, grep: RE error 16: Bad number. Any help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Validation:

Hi I have below file with 3 rd column as date ....i want to make 3 column to mm/dd/yyyy . in the below file 2 row date is like 1/23/1994 so i want to append '0' to month i,e. 01/23/1994 and in the 3 row date is like 6/4/1994 ---so i want this to 06/04/1994 Source:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satyam_sat
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic date validation help

Hi, I've made a very basic date validation script, but the syntax of the until condtion is wrong, could someone have a quick look and correct it please?:) Thanks for any help. echo -n "Please enter your date of birth (dd-mm-yyyy): " read dob day=${dob:0:2} month=${dob:3:2} year=${dob:6:4}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mustaine85
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Validation

the user have to input the date format in mmddmmhhyyyy (month,date,minutes,hour,year) i want a shell script to check whether the user has properly input in the above said manner. kindly advice (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkca
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Validation in unix

I have a script which is take date as parameter sh abc.sh <2010-02-01> #!/sh/bin my_date=$1 #Here i want to two diffrent dates ## 3 Days before ##date14query=$mydate - 4 (it will be 2010-01-28) ##date24query=$mydate +4 (it will be 2010-01-05) #Please Help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date validation

Hi, I have a script which runs on specific sunday. If that script runs on the sunday i want to execute another script on following wednesday. I have a log for that server. My wednesday scripts needs to check the sunday run log timestamp and if it matches it should run. Please help. Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix date validation

Dears, I am working on a batch that processes file with name containing date prefix eg., 20101222_file.dat. The logic is to process files in order. Eg., 20101225 must be processed only after 20101222. Ok first glance it looked simple, it use a variable to check this date value as number and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naraink
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date validation

File contains below data,how to validate the date using awk command or any command. date formate is fixed as "YYYYMMDD" test1|20120405 test2|20121405 output should be: test1|20120405 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
2 Replies

9. Programming

Date validation in mysql

Hi All, We need to create the custom function to pass the parameter is date.if it is valid return 1 else 0 return should be 1 select is_date('2012-09-17'); return should be 0 select is_date('2012-79-17'); Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
2 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Date validation

Hi folks, I new to shell script . I want to know how to validate a String as valid date example: 20150712 ---> valid date 20160524-->valid 201605T12-->invalid date 12341234--->invalid date we need to valid string( yyyymmdd) to date in SunOS 5.10 please give some idea to validate... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinadhreddy27
9 Replies
SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-echo - GNU shtool echo(1) extensional command SYNOPSIS
shtool echo [-n|--newline] [-e|--expand] string DESCRIPTION
shtool echo is an echo(1) style command which prints string to stdout and optionally provides special expansion constructs (terminal bold mode, environment details, date, etc) and newline control. The trick of this command is that it provides a portable -n option and hides the gory details needed to find out the environment details under option -e. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -n, --newline By default, output is written to stdout followed by a "newline" (ASCII character 0x0a). If option -n is used, this newline character is omitted. -e, --expand If option -e is used, string can contain special "%x" constructs which are expanded before the output is written. Currently the following constructs are recognized: %B switch terminal mode to bold display mode. %b switch terminal mode back to normal display mode. %u the current user name. %U the current user id (numerical). %g the current group name. %G the current group id (numerical). %h the current hostname (without any domain extension). %d the current domain name. %D the current day of the month. %M the current month (numerical). %m the current month name. %Y the current year. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool echo -n -e "Enter your name [%B%u%b]: "; read name shtool echo -e "Your Email address might be %u@%h%d" shtool echo -e "The current date is %D-%m-%Y" HISTORY
The GNU shtool echo command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Website META Language (WML) under the name buildinfo. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), echo(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)