Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Swap config - Mirror swap or not? Post 302155964 by Smiling Dragon on Sunday 6th of January 2008 09:25:16 PM
Old 01-06-2008
Don't forget to add some metadb replicas to the second disk too Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap

When i re-updated my system i set my swap at 500 MB. I have 256 in ram and have never even gone into the 250 mb of swap that i had originally configured. How do I reduce the swap? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About swap

Is it really so that if swap will be located in the begining of hard drive, than it will work faster? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ty3
1 Replies

3. AIX

problem with swap

Good morning I have a problem with a partition (P570). A user's process take all the memory, and the swap. So the partition shutdown. How can I limit a process to not take all the swap ? (4 Go of memroy, 1 Go of swap) thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
2 Replies

4. Solaris

swap -l

When i try to type swap -l ,nothing come out but blinking. May i know what is the problem and solutions ? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farbegas
6 Replies

5. HP-UX

How much Swap is too much?

I have a HP-UX B.11.23 server with 16 gb of memory 84 gb of swap configured. I am being pushed to define more swap to try and get more Tuxedo domains to start. At what point do we have too much swap for the amount of memory? Thanks in advance. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
11 Replies

6. Red Hat

swap not defined as swap

free -m : 1023 total swap space created default partition /dev/sdb1 50M using fdisk. i did write the changes. #mkswap /dev/sdb1 #swapon /dev/sdb1 free -m : 1078 total swap space this shows that the swap is on Question : i did not change the type LINUX SWAP (82) in fdisk. so why is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

swap

Hi, I have added a new disk to production server. How to make it visible to os and how to configure it. I also want to add some space from that disk to swap space. Please help me out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetansingh23
1 Replies

9. Solaris

swap

Hi, Can somebody please help here, since iam just a beginner. According to my book knowledge. the Avalilable memory calculated by swap -l (includes only swap) should be small as compared to swap -s value(includes Virtual memory=swap +physical). but this is quite opposite in my case. swap... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laxxi
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies
volrootmir(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     volrootmir(8)

NAME
volrootmir - Mirror areas necessary for booting to a new disk SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volrootmir [-a] [nconfig=count] target_disk [swap=target_partition] OPTIONS
Specifies that all volumes on the system disk be mirrored, not just the root and swap volumes, rootvol and swapvol. DESCRIPTION
The volrootmir script causes a mirror copy of areas of the root disk involved in booting to be made on the specified target disk. When used without the -a option, volrootmir adds mirrors of the root and swap volumes and allocates them on the new disk. In addition, all disk regions required for booting are set up and partitions for the new volume mirrors are created. When used with the -a option, volrootmir mirrors all in-use partitions on the system disk. To mirror a swap volume that is on a separate disk from the root volume, the swap attribute must be used to specify a separate target for the swap mirror. The target disk(s) must be at least as large as the sum of the sizes of rootvol and swapvol. Also, the physical disk should not have any disk partition in use. This script can be called from the voldiskadm menus by choosing the Mirror volumes on a disk operation. ATTRIBUTES
Specifies the number of log copies and copies of the configuration database, for example, nconfig=2. Specifies that the swap volume, swapvol, be mirrored on a separate disk, as specified by target_partition. EXAMPLES
The following command mirrors the rootvol and swapvol volumes onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a differ- ent disk from rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol, swapvol, and any other volumes on the root disk onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a different disk from rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol on disk dsk3, swapvol onto partition dsk7d, and any other volumes on the root disk onto disk dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 swap=dsk7d The following command mirrors rootvol onto disk dsk3 and swapvol onto partition dsk7d. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 swap=dsk7d SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8) volrootmir(8)