Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to prevent an application from closing a file Post 302155936 by jasahl on Sunday 6th of January 2008 05:52:27 PM
Old 01-06-2008
How to prevent an application from closing a file

I'm writing some software tests, & one of my test cases is to prevent an address space from closing a data file (file is closed & a new one opened every 15 minutes).

I can't remove or rename the file while it's being written to, any other ideas to prevent a file from being closed - or at least fake a return code from the system call so that the application thinks the close failed?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

prevent file size is too large

We have EDP members will do some testing job in my system , but sometimes these process will generate some error to the system log or any file ( usually the members don't know the log is reached to this level ) , then make the system crashed , could suggest the way how can to prevent this problem ?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

2. Programming

Error closing read file

Every time I close a file that I opened for reading I get the following error: ”Memory fault(coredump)”. And, although it does not (I think) affect the overall process (I write another file based on the file I am reading); it is something I would rather not happen. I don't know why this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ALTRUNVRSOFLN
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prevent file from being mailed multiple times from a job

We have a ksh which runs once every 15 minutes. Based on a certain condition (for invalid data) we are spooling a file and if the file is of length greater than 0 bytes, then we are mailing this file to a group of users. Upon receiving the file, users correct the data so that on its next run the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree_2503
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

prevent errors/warnings from being written to log file

i have this script which works fine but shows errors when it runs..these are more like warnings and the script runs fine.. i am on a sun machine.. i know it writes all the error messages to a master log file.. is there any way i can turn off these warnings/error messages and prevent them from being... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: closing file descriptors from a process

Below is a test script to illustrate a problem from a larger script I am writing. $ cat /tmp/loggingtest #!/bin/bash lvcreate -s -l 100%FREE -n var-data-snapshot vg00/var-data 2> >(logger -t "loggingtest.crit") 1> >(logger -t "loggingtest.info") sync & wait lvremove -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Closing open file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd

Hi guys, i need to write a shell script that will close file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd will calling exec 4<&- solve the problem ? thanks in advance :) (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_romeo
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prevent terminal from closing after command execution

Hello, I want to create application which launches some terminal, then some command is executed on that terminal and then prevent terminal from closing. I started to do on gnome-terminal because the Gnome is the most widely used desktop-manager in the Linux distributions. I want to do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tyanata
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prevent word splitting with file with spaces in name

Hello, I have a script that "validates" a ZIP file that look like this AAA_20120801.zip => x~back end~20120801.TXT y~time in~20120801.TXT z~heat_chamber~20120801.TXT AAA_20120801.ctlMy task is to compare its contents (i.e the list of files contained inside) with the control file that is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

9. Programming

How to prevent a C++ program reading a file that is still being written to.?

Hi, Hopefully someone can help. We have a process that writes a file using Connect Direct to our local Solaris server and then our C++ program will pick up the file and process it. Unfortunately, because of the size of the file, the C++ program is processing the file before it has finished... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Closing a graphical application by pid

Hi all, I have a small graphical application whose only purpose is to pop up certain types of messages. Currently, I'm using it in a Bash script like this: ./MyProg "this is my message" while do ... do things ... done What I want to do is after the while loop is over (it does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
4 Replies
Tcl_CreateCloseHandler(3)				      Tcl Library Procedures					 Tcl_CreateCloseHandler(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_CreateCloseHandler, Tcl_DeleteCloseHandler - arrange for callbacks when channels are closed SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> void Tcl_CreateCloseHandler(channel, proc, clientData) void Tcl_DeleteCloseHandler(channel, proc, clientData) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Channel channel (in) The channel for which to create or delete a close callback. Tcl_CloseProc *proc (in) The procedure to call as the callback. ClientData clientData (in) Arbitrary one-word value to pass to proc. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_CreateCloseHandler arranges for proc to be called when channel is closed with Tcl_Close or Tcl_UnregisterChannel, or using the Tcl close command. Proc should match the following prototype: typedef void Tcl_CloseProc( ClientData clientData); The clientData is the same as the value provided in the call to Tcl_CreateCloseHandler. Tcl_DeleteCloseHandler removes a close callback for channel. The proc and clientData identify which close callback to remove; Tcl_Delete- CloseHandler does nothing if its proc and clientData arguments do not match the proc and clientData for a close handler for channel. SEE ALSO
close(n), Tcl_Close(3), Tcl_UnregisterChannel(3) KEYWORDS
callback, channel closing Tcl 7.5 Tcl_CreateCloseHandler(3)