Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Append Header and Trailer
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Append Header and Trailer Post 302155851 by radoulov on Sunday 6th of January 2008 05:06:05 AM
Old 01-06-2008
Search google for some basic awk tutorial.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Header & Trailer from a file

Hi All, I am karthik. I am new to this forum. I have one requirement. I have a file with header and footer. Header may be like HDR0001 or FILE20090110 (Assume it is unknown so far, but i am sure there is a header in the file) likewise file has the trailer too. I just... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_gana
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Header as is.. trailer count

i have .DAT file FILE1.DAT 1200910270040625 2123456789 J123456 ABC 2123456789 K123456 ABC 2222222222 L123456 DEF 2333333333 M12345 GHI 30000004 My outfile FILE2.TXT should have like this, I need the header value as ie (1200910270040625 ) body rows remove the duplicate rows and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshuser
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Header and Trailer records to a appended file

How can we a shell script and pass date parameters .I have 3 files comming from Datastage with |" delimited I need append 3 files as above: File1: P0000|"47416954|"AU|"000|"INS|"0000|"|"20060601|"99991231|"|"|"|"|"01 File 2:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: e1994264
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding header and trailer into a file

Hi, I want to add the below Header to all the files in sequence File1,File2,File3...etc "ABC,<number of chracter in the file>" e,g - If File1 is as below pqrstuvdt abcdefgh then I want to add the above header into it ,So that File1 becomes as below ABC,17 pqrstuvdt abcdefgh ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spari2
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

oneliner for adding header and trailer

for example, i have a file with below content: 123413 866688 816866 818818 i want the output as: This is header 123413 866688 816866 818818 This is trailer i am able to achieve it using a bash script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to validate file header and trailer

Hi, I need a script that validates a file header/detail/trailer. File layout is: Header - Rec_Type|File_name|File_Date Detail - Rec_Type|field1|field2|field3... Trailder - Rec_Type|File_name|File_Date|Record_count Sample Data: HDR|customer_data.dat|20120709... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash_sh
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verify the header and trailer in file

please see my requirement, I hope I am clear. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort without Header and Trailer

Hi , My UNIX system is SUN Solaris. I am trying to do a simple thing as described below. I have a PIPE delimited file that has header and trailer. So the file is something like below: Test1.txt looks like something below: field_data1|field_data2|and some more data --Header ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Append pipe | at the end of all the rows except header n trailer for all the files under a directory

Hi Experts Need help... I am looking for a Unix script to append pipe | at the end of all the rows (except header and trailer)in all the files placed under the directory /interfaces/Temp e.g. Header row1 row2 row3 Trailer The script should read all the files under... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani333
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Header and trailer Check in UNIX

I am planning to automate multiple files through Unix script. Could you please guide for making the automation for multiple files ? Eg. I have to check header and footer for all files in the particular path and the header pattern should match with the filename. Filename- Filename.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick2020333
2 Replies
uuencode(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       uuencode(4)

NAME
uuencode - format of an encoded uuencode file DESCRIPTION
Files output by consist of a header line followed by a number of body lines, and a trailer line. The command ignores any lines preceding the header or following the trailer (see uuencode(1)). Lines preceding a header must not look like a header. The header line consists of the word followed by a space, a mode (in octal), another space, and a string which specifies the name of the remote file. The body consists of a number of lines, each containing 62 or fewer characters (including trailing new-line). These lines consist of a character count, followed by encoded characters, followed by a newline. The character count is a single printing character, which represents an integer. This integer is the number of bytes in the rest of the line, and always ranges from 0 to 63. The byte count can be determined by subtracting the equivalent octal value of an ASCII space charac- ter (octal 40) from the character. Groups of 3 bytes are stored in 4 characters, 6 bits per character. All are offset by a space to make the characters printable. The last line may be shorter than the normal 45 bytes. If the size is not a multiple of 3, this fact can be determined by the value of the count on the last line. Extra meaningless data will be included, if necessary, to make the character count a multiple of 4. The body is terminated by a line with a count of zero. This line consists of one ASCII space. The trailer line consists of the word on a line by itself. SEE ALSO
mail(1), uuencode(1), uucp(1). uuencode(4)