Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find a file whick is consuming larger disk space in file system Post 302155484 by matrixmadhan on Friday 4th of January 2008 04:55:30 AM
Old 01-04-2008
Is it a running process that is consuming more space ?

In such case identify the file; use lsof and kill the process which is dumping information into the file.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Unable to remove file using rm: Disk space is full

Hi all, My disk space is 100% full. df -k <dir> -> 100% One of my debug files consume huge amount of space and i want to remove the same to start off fresh debugs. However i'm unable to remove the file giving out the following error message: rm -f debug.out22621 rm: cannot remove... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How much space I am consuming?

Hi i want to know if many users are logging in system then how would i know that how much space in system i am consuming.. Thanks Vijay sahu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijays3
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi, We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB? I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to suppress the file name when we check for disk space

How to supress the file name when we check for disk space ? I used this command : du -ks /home/dir1/dir2/file.csv it returns 13 /home/dir1/dir2/file.csv Please explain the options too (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script to find the disk usage and to delete the files which is consuming more space

Hi All, I have written a script to check the file system usage and to delete the files which is consuming more space.Please check whether the script is corrcet #Script Starts here #!/usr/local/bin/perl #Program to find the disk space and to delete the older files #Checks the type of OS... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkarthick
8 Replies

6. AIX

Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks, I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
9 Replies

7. AIX

No space in the file system

A file system has reached 100%. I have tried adding space using chfs -a size=+100 command to that file system. However, the % used is not decreasing from 100%. Is there a way to add more space? Also, can someone suggest a script to send a mail alert when a file system is reaching 90%. G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

Files consuming more space in HP-UX

Hi, Could you please provide OS command to find large files in size MB and GB... under specific directory in HP-UX? Regards, Maddy (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Use 'dd' to copy boot disk to larger target disk

Hi, I'm looking to copy a boot disk on an old Solaris 8 system using dd. I'll bring the system down to single user mode and begin from there. I'm copying my source disk to a larger target disk. Do I need to do anything other than the 'dd' command below because the target disk is bigger? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies
bdf(1M) 																   bdf(1M)

NAME
bdf - report number of free disk blocks (Berkeley version) SYNOPSIS
type [filesystem|file] ... ] DESCRIPTION
The command displays the amount of free disk space available either on the specified filesystem for example) or on the file system in which the specified file (such as is contained. If no file system is specified, the free space on all of the normally mounted file systems is printed. The reported numbers are in kilobytes. Options The command recognizes the following options: Display information regarding file system swapping. Report the number of used and free inodes. Display information for local file systems only (for example, HFS and CDFS file systems). Do not sync the file system data on the disk before reporting the usage. Note that the data reported by may not be up to date. Report on the file systems of a given type (for example, or RETURN VALUE
The command returns 0 on success (able to get status on all file systems), or returns 1 on failure (unable to get status on one or more file systems). WARNINGS
If file system names are too long, the output for a given entry is displayed on two lines. The command does not account for any disk space reserved for swap space, or used for the HFS boot block (8 KB, 1 per file system), HFS superblocks (8 KB each, 1 per disk cylinder), HFS cylinder group blocks (1 KB - 8 KB each, 1 per cylinder group), and inodes (currently 128 bytes reserved for each inode). Non-HFS file systems may have other items not accounted for by this command. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
Static information about the file systems. Mounted file system table. File system devices. SEE ALSO
df(1M), fstab(4), mnttab(4). bdf(1M)