Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers character encoding in Fedora6 Post 302155380 by bsky on Thursday 3rd of January 2008 06:46:40 PM
Old 01-03-2008
Question character encoding in Fedora6

Hello,

After upgrading the OS from Fedora4 to Fedora6, the firefox
view>character encoding doesn't work anymore. None of the foreign
characters can be displayed, no matter what character encoding to
select.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

bsky
:confused

Last edited by bsky; 01-04-2008 at 11:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

encoding

Hi, I'm using putty and when I try to write ü it writes | (or when I try to write é , it writes i) I tried to change settings/translation of putty but with no success I have KSH # locale LANG= LC_CTYPE="C" LC_NUMERIC="C" LC_TIME="C" LC_COLLATE="C" LC_MONETARY="C" LC_MESSAGES="C"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmer18
3 Replies

2. AIX

get the file encoding

Hello! The system is AIX 5.3 Give please command or script to get the file encoding (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinment
1 Replies

3. AIX

Vacation message character encoding

I am trying to send a vacation message (.vacation.msg) from my AIX 5.3 server. Message is UTF-8 characters. Some email clients (like apple mail) have no problems displaying the correct text, however, some, like Windows Outlook, display garbage. Is there a way of forcing the client to use proper... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanny
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Araic Encoding

hi folks , I have a shell script which contain SQL query that dump some data from the DB in arabic and this data is written to a file in unix machine but the problem that the arabic data is appear like ??????????|111|???????? even when I move it to my windows XP machine. Any one have an Idea... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"vi" text editor character encoding?

Hi! I've got a shell account on a FreeBSD machine. It doesn't have 'vim' installed, but only the original 'vi' text editor ("Version 1.79 (10/23/96) The CSRG, University of California, Berkeley.") So, in PuTTY I've chosen "UTF-8 translation" to have my non-english characters appear correctly.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gew
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the file encoding and updating the file encoding?

Hi, I am beginner to Unix. My requirement is to validate the encoding used in the incoming file(csv,txt).If it is encoded with UTF-8 format,then the file should remain as such otherwise i need to chnage the encoding to UTF-8. Please advice me how to proceed on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extra character with iconv encoding

hey, I am trying to convert a sample russian encoding file to English encoding using iconv utility. Its almost done but with each converted character i am getting one extra character which must not come. my sample Russian text is test.txt А Б В Г Д Е Ж З И Й К ~ and script which i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeyushgehlot
4 Replies

9. Solaris

connect to ILOM via ssh character encoding

Hello all, I am connecting to ILOM using ssh client (putty) but when RedHat start booting everything look chinese for me... Probably i have to configure the character set, i tried also utf-8 but the issue remain. Any idea? Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

10. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! I´m using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . I´m expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies
PX_SET_TARGETENCODING(3)												  PX_SET_TARGETENCODING(3)

px_set_targetencoding - Sets the encoding for character fields (deprecated)

SYNOPSIS
bool px_set_targetencoding (resource $pxdoc, string $encoding) DESCRIPTION
Set the encoding for data retrieved from a character field. All character fields will be recoded to the encoding set by this function. If the encoding is not set, the character data will be returned in the DOS code page encoding as specified in the database file. The $encoding can be any string identifier known to iconv or recode. On Unix systems run iconv -l for a list of available encodings. This function is deprecated and should be replaced by calling px_set_parameter(3). See also px_get_info(3) to determine the DOS code page as stored in the database file. PARAMETERS
o $pxdoc - Resource identifier of the paradox database as returned by px_new(3). o $encoding - The encoding for the output. Data which is being read from character fields is recoded into the targetencoding. RETURN VALUES
Returns FALSE if the encoding could not be set, e.g. the encoding is unknown, or pxlib does not support recoding at all. In the second case a warning will be issued. SEE ALSO
px_set_parameter(3) PHP Documentation Group PX_SET_TARGETENCODING(3)