Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PHP/MySQL slow_queries
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PHP/MySQL slow_queries Post 302155357 by pondlife on Thursday 3rd of January 2008 05:10:33 PM
Old 01-03-2008
PHP/MySQL slow_queries

Hi All,

I have a problem with my database having lots of 'stale' slow_queries. I think the problem may be because of the following code:

Code:
$numresults=mysql_query("select * from links where catagory=".$catagory." order by linknum");
$numrows=mysql_num_rows($numresults);

I believe this sql statement is doing a full table scan; is this correct?

Would there be anything to gain from coding the sql like this:

select count(*) from links where ...

I've just realised that catagory (i know it's spelt incorrectly...) isn't an index... the links table is the biggest table - do you think this could be a problem?

Also I don't close the db connection - I'm reading conflicting messages about how good/bad this can be... most of my pages select a subset of data then have links where you can get the next/previous batch which work via post - i'm not sure how a close of each db connection will behave. Any ideas on the best approach?

My db is not very big. It only has six tables and 70k entries in the biggest table...

My index in the biggest table isn't contiguous because entries get deleted - is this a problem?

Lots of questions! Hope you can help Smilie

Many thanks, p.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

mysql php

with a limited knowledege of php and sql, what is a good and secure way to do passwords running an https server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PHP and MySQL

I want to design a database, using mysql as a backend, and PHP as the frontend, I wanna be able to easily build forms in PHP to communicate with MySQL, is there any programs that will allow this, I really dont want to program all the forms by hand.. thankyou (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalick
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with PHP and MySQL

Okay, I'm new to this PHP and MySQL stuff, so help would be VERY much appreciated. :) On my iMac runnning Panther, it has MySQL and PHP installed. Yet when I view a PHP file from the iMac or another computer at my house, I get the source code. What's wrong? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danny_10
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Something went awfully wrong in PHP+MySQL :(

When I'm running a few statements through mysql console, they are working just fine but when I'm trying to write some logic in php and trying to execute it, its awfully slow.. Its perhaps performing, 10 queries in 20 seconds... :( Why is this happening? My table structures are: Name:... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
23 Replies

5. Programming

MySQL - PHP

Hello every one i have question i want to build DATAbase using PHP as interface i use shell to access to linux . i have in linux psql and SQLplus i'll call all html files that has db tabels from shell directory. what should to do before design php pages. can build the database sql design... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scotch
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mysql is not connected in php

Hi, The php is not able to connect into my mysql database. But i can able to connect by manually. I think that I have missed some points. Please guild for the same. Thanks, Mani (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Migration of website... PHP/Mysql -which path for DB.php

Hi, I have two websites: website1.com and website2.com I didn't write either but have successfully moved all the files from website1.com to website2.com I (thought) I installed all the correct php modules and website2 is mostly up and running. However, my boss found that when we go to a... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrocloud
15 Replies

8. Programming

PHP and MySQL

Hello, While I was interpretation the PHP manual on database security the recent past, it said that you should by no means connect to the database as the super user but rather as one more user with more limited options. My question is: How do you generate new users and set access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AimyThomas
2 Replies

9. Web Development

Can't Install MySQL with PHP

Hi, I'm on a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian Wheezy. I urgently need to get MySQL running with PHP, but I get an error. For example: $con=mysql_connect("127.0.0.1","root","******","ids"); gives PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() So, I found I needed to install some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FreddoT
2 Replies
CLUSTER(7)                                                         SQL Commands                                                         CLUSTER(7)

NAME
CLUSTER - cluster a table according to an index SYNOPSIS
CLUSTER [VERBOSE] tablename [ USING indexname ] CLUSTER [VERBOSE] DESCRIPTION
CLUSTER instructs PostgreSQL to cluster the table specified by tablename based on the index specified by indexname. The index must already have been defined on tablename. When a table is clustered, it is physically reordered based on the index information. Clustering is a one-time operation: when the table is subsequently updated, the changes are not clustered. That is, no attempt is made to store new or updated rows according to their index order. (If one wishes, one can periodically recluster by issuing the command again. Also, setting the table's FILLFACTOR storage parameter to less than 100% can aid in preserving cluster ordering during updates, since updated rows are preferentially kept on the same page.) When a table is clustered, PostgreSQL remembers which index it was clustered by. The form CLUSTER tablename reclusters the table using the same index as before. CLUSTER without any parameter reclusters all the previously-clustered tables in the current database that the calling user owns, or all such tables if called by a superuser. This form of CLUSTER cannot be executed inside a transaction block. When a table is being clustered, an ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock is acquired on it. This prevents any other database operations (both reads and writes) from operating on the table until the CLUSTER is finished. PARAMETERS
tablename The name (possibly schema-qualified) of a table. indexname The name of an index. VERBOSE Prints a progress report as each table is clustered. NOTES
In cases where you are accessing single rows randomly within a table, the actual order of the data in the table is unimportant. However, if you tend to access some data more than others, and there is an index that groups them together, you will benefit from using CLUSTER. If you are requesting a range of indexed values from a table, or a single indexed value that has multiple rows that match, CLUSTER will help because once the index identifies the table page for the first row that matches, all other rows that match are probably already on the same table page, and so you save disk accesses and speed up the query. During the cluster operation, a temporary copy of the table is created that contains the table data in the index order. Temporary copies of each index on the table are created as well. Therefore, you need free space on disk at least equal to the sum of the table size and the index sizes. Because CLUSTER remembers the clustering information, one can cluster the tables one wants clustered manually the first time, and setup a timed event similar to VACUUM so that the tables are periodically reclustered. Because the planner records statistics about the ordering of tables, it is advisable to run ANALYZE [analyze(7)] on the newly clustered ta- ble. Otherwise, the planner might make poor choices of query plans. There is another way to cluster data. The CLUSTER command reorders the original table by scanning it using the index you specify. This can be slow on large tables because the rows are fetched from the table in index order, and if the table is disordered, the entries are on ran- dom pages, so there is one disk page retrieved for every row moved. (PostgreSQL has a cache, but the majority of a big table will not fit in the cache.) The other way to cluster a table is to use: CREATE TABLE newtable AS SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY columnlist; which uses the PostgreSQL sorting code to produce the desired order; this is usually much faster than an index scan for disordered data. Then you drop the old table, use ALTER TABLE ... RENAME to rename newtable to the old name, and recreate the table's indexes. The big dis- advantage of this approach is that it does not preserve OIDs, constraints, foreign key relationships, granted privileges, and other ancil- lary properties of the table -- all such items must be manually recreated. Another disadvantage is that this way requires a sort temporary file about the same size as the table itself, so peak disk usage is about three times the table size instead of twice the table size. EXAMPLES
Cluster the table employees on the basis of its index employees_ind: CLUSTER employees USING employees_ind; Cluster the employees table using the same index that was used before: CLUSTER employees; Cluster all tables in the database that have previously been clustered: CLUSTER; COMPATIBILITY
There is no CLUSTER statement in the SQL standard. The syntax CLUSTER indexname ON tablename is also supported for compatibility with pre-8.3 PostgreSQL versions. SEE ALSO
clusterdb [clusterdb(1)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 CLUSTER(7)