Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting calculating sum of fields in a file Post 302155273 by shamrock on Thursday 3rd of January 2008 10:22:06 AM
Old 01-03-2008
Code:
nawk '{ sum = sum + $0 } END { print sum }' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort sum fields

HI ALL, i have a problem when i do a sort sum with many fields. Is there a limit for fields? Do you know a solution? thanks in advance. the shell is: # SORT1 SORT1_rcode=777 if ; then echo "USE $DARSEQ/OTPU.FTPEPREC RECORD F,1000 " > $DARPARSRT/TPEKL508.SORT1_$$.srt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tullo
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculating the time difference, when the script was executed and the currenent file

Hi, I has created the shell script in HP_UX 11.23 and using the command, echo $(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S) > $DIR/alert, placing the time of running the script into a file alert. I want to compare the time in the above file alert with the current time.If difference is more than 5 min, then print the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: velocitnitin
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CAlculating page file size

hello dont know if this is the correct forum for this post but i have a question. i am revising for a exam on operating systems and i have the question... A system has a 32bit virtual address divided into 2kbyte pages and each entry in the page table is 6 bytes in length. what is the size... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fortune
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting non empty fields and calculating with that number

Hello all, I have a problem with a skript of mine: My input has the following format 1,33296 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000018629" 0 1,33296 0 0 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000029014" 0 0,907392 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000016905" 0,907392 0 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000053370" 0 0... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerSeb
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To perform sum aggregation on numeric fields

Hi all, I have following scenario to perform sum aggregation on certain columns Node Allocated_Space Pool_Name CS_Group Utilized Space -------- ---------------- ---------- --------- -------------- bdw1a_lun01 300 bdw_p0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating the epoch time from standard time using awk and calculating the duration

Hi All, I have the following time stamp data in 2 columns Date TimeStamp(also with milliseconds) 05/23/2012 08:30:11.250 05/23/2012 08:30:15.500 05/23/2012 08:31.15.500 . . etc From this data I need the following output. 0.00( row1-row1 in seconds) 04.25( row2-row1 in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in finding sum for values in 2 different fields

Hi there, I have 2 files in following format cat file_1 Storage Group Name: aaaa HBA UID SP Name SPPort ------- ------- ------ 0 21 Storage Group Name: bbbb HBA UID... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum fields of different files using awk

I'm trying to sum each field of the second column over many different files. For example: file1: file2: 1 5 1 5 2 6 2 4 3 5 3 3 To get: file3 1 10 2 10 3 8 I found answer when there are only 2 files as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogeriog.em
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating sum

Hi all, I have the following code in a shell script. Code: if then echo "##" echo "##" echo "##################################" for fn in `find "$1" -maxdepth 1 -iname \*"$2"* -type f` do echo "$fn" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveendronavall
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file with sum of matching fields in another file

In the awk below I am trying to add a penalty to a score to each matching $1 in file2 based on the sum of $3+$4 (variable TL) from file1. Then the $4 value in file1 is divided by TL and multiplied by 100 (this valvue is variable S). Finally, $2 in file2 - S gives the updated $2 result in file2.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
SUM(1)								   User Commands							    SUM(1)

NAME
sum - checksum and count the blocks in a file SYNOPSIS
sum [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print checksum and block counts for each FILE. -r use BSD sum algorithm, use 1K blocks -s, --sysv use System V sum algorithm, use 512 bytes blocks --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by Kayvan Aghaiepour and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report sum bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report sum translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for sum is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and sum programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'sum invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 SUM(1)