Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting calculating sum of fields in a file Post 302155268 by dsravan on Thursday 3rd of January 2008 10:13:09 AM
Old 01-03-2008
calculating sum of fields in a file

Hey,

I have a file and it has only one field. I need to calculate the sum of each filed as total.

For e.g my file is

I need to calculate the total sum as 15.

Please let me know how i can do it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort sum fields

HI ALL, i have a problem when i do a sort sum with many fields. Is there a limit for fields? Do you know a solution? thanks in advance. the shell is: # SORT1 SORT1_rcode=777 if ; then echo "USE $DARSEQ/OTPU.FTPEPREC RECORD F,1000 " > $DARPARSRT/TPEKL508.SORT1_$$.srt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tullo
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculating the time difference, when the script was executed and the currenent file

Hi, I has created the shell script in HP_UX 11.23 and using the command, echo $(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S) > $DIR/alert, placing the time of running the script into a file alert. I want to compare the time in the above file alert with the current time.If difference is more than 5 min, then print the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: velocitnitin
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CAlculating page file size

hello dont know if this is the correct forum for this post but i have a question. i am revising for a exam on operating systems and i have the question... A system has a 32bit virtual address divided into 2kbyte pages and each entry in the page table is 6 bytes in length. what is the size... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fortune
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting non empty fields and calculating with that number

Hello all, I have a problem with a skript of mine: My input has the following format 1,33296 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000018629" 0 1,33296 0 0 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000029014" 0 0,907392 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000016905" 0,907392 0 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000053370" 0 0... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerSeb
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To perform sum aggregation on numeric fields

Hi all, I have following scenario to perform sum aggregation on certain columns Node Allocated_Space Pool_Name CS_Group Utilized Space -------- ---------------- ---------- --------- -------------- bdw1a_lun01 300 bdw_p0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating the epoch time from standard time using awk and calculating the duration

Hi All, I have the following time stamp data in 2 columns Date TimeStamp(also with milliseconds) 05/23/2012 08:30:11.250 05/23/2012 08:30:15.500 05/23/2012 08:31.15.500 . . etc From this data I need the following output. 0.00( row1-row1 in seconds) 04.25( row2-row1 in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in finding sum for values in 2 different fields

Hi there, I have 2 files in following format cat file_1 Storage Group Name: aaaa HBA UID SP Name SPPort ------- ------- ------ 0 21 Storage Group Name: bbbb HBA UID... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum fields of different files using awk

I'm trying to sum each field of the second column over many different files. For example: file1: file2: 1 5 1 5 2 6 2 4 3 5 3 3 To get: file3 1 10 2 10 3 8 I found answer when there are only 2 files as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogeriog.em
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating sum

Hi all, I have the following code in a shell script. Code: if then echo "##" echo "##" echo "##################################" for fn in `find "$1" -maxdepth 1 -iname \*"$2"* -type f` do echo "$fn" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveendronavall
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file with sum of matching fields in another file

In the awk below I am trying to add a penalty to a score to each matching $1 in file2 based on the sum of $3+$4 (variable TL) from file1. Then the $4 value in file1 is divided by TL and multiplied by 100 (this valvue is variable S). Finally, $2 in file2 - S gives the updated $2 result in file2.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
TOTAL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  TOTAL(1)

NAME
total - sum up columns SYNOPSIS
total [ -m ][ -sE | -p | -u | -l ][ -i{f|d}[N] ][ -o{f|d} ][ -tC ][ -N [ -r ]] [ file .. ] DESCRIPTION
Total sums up columns of real numbers from one or more files and prints out the result on its standard output. By default, total computes the straigt sum of each input column, but multiplication can be specified instead with the -p option. Likewise, the -u option means find the upper limit (maximum), and -l means find the lower limit (minimum). Sums of powers can be computed by giving an exponent with the -s option. (Note that there is no space between the -s and the exponent.) This exponent can be any real number, positive or negative. The absolute value of the input is always taken before the power is computed in order to avoid complex results. Thus, -s1 will produce a sum of absolute values. The default power (zero) is interpreted as a straight sum without taking absolute values. The -m option can be used to compute the mean rather than the total. For sums, the arithmetic mean is computed. For products, the geomet- ric mean is computed. (A logarithmic sum of absolute values is used to avoid overflow, and zero values are silently ignored.) If the input data is binary, the -id or -if option may be given for 64-bit double or 32-bit float values, respectively. Either option may be followed immediately by an optional count, which defaults to 1, indicating the number of double or float binary values to read per record on the input file. (There can be no space between the option and this count.) Similarly, the -od and -of options specify binary double or float output, respectively. These options do not need a count, as this will be determined by the number of input channels. A count can be given as the number of lines to read before computing a result. Normally, total reads each file to its end before producing its result, but this behavior may be overridden by inserting blank lines in the input. For each blank input line, total produces a result as if the end-of-file had been reached. If two blank lines immediately follow each other, total closes the file and proceeds to the next one (after reporting the result). The -N option (where N is a decimal integer) tells total to produce a result and reset the calculation after every N input lines. In addition, the -r option can be specified to override reinitialization and thus give a running total every N lines (or every blank line). If the end of file is reached, the current total is printed and the calculation is reset before the next file (with or without the -r option). The -tC option can be used to specify the input and output tab character. The default tab character is TAB. If no files are given, the standard input is read. EXAMPLE
To compute the RMS value of colon-separated columns in a file: total -t: -m -s2 input To produce a running product of values from a file: total -p -1 -r input BUGS
If the input files have varying numbers of columns, mean values will certainly be off. Total will ignore missing column entries if the tab separator is a non-white character, but cannot tell where a missing column should have been if the tab character is white. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1) RADIANCE
2/3/95 TOTAL(1)