Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers replacing the characters in a file Post 302155217 by ghostdog74 on Thursday 3rd of January 2008 07:02:03 AM
Old 01-03-2008
Code:
# awk '{ print substr($0,1,1)"replace_string"substr($0,31)}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing few characters in a file

Hi All, I have huge xml file. The file contains some comment tags . I have requirement to replace comment tag with another comment tag. Say for example : file X has -- Part of the file <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-2"?><translationResults jobDate="20070123 23:20:51"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: purnakarthik
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing characters in file with line break

Hi, Apologies if this has been asked before, but I searched and was not able to find an answer. It's probably a simple question to answer for those of you with some experience, though... I have a relatively long string where tokens are separated by the colon (':') character. Let's say the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnemb
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Replacing Characters in Flat File

I was wondering if somebody could help me with something on UNIX. I have a file that looks like this - "nelson,bill","bill","123 Main St","Mpls","MN",55444,8877,william I want to replace all comma with pipes (|), except if the comma is within double quotes. (The first field is an example of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelson553011
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing characters in csv file

Hello all, This is my first post here, so please excuse me if this question is too obvious or has been asked before. I am new to Unix and although I tried to search your forum for the answer to my question, I could not find an answer that would help me. I have a 500MB csv file with numeric values... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finwhiz
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing digit with characters in a file

Hi, I have a file with 40 columns out of which 15 are amount fields. There are approximately 6 mn records in this file. The file has data in following format: 123A,Ank,00.468,US,IL,780,53489 253A,Tng,-00.456,US,CA,452,46781 363A,nkk,-00.023,US,NJ,539,09625 I need to take all amount fields... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wahi80
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Translating/Replacing characters in a file

Hi, i have a given file named hugo.dat. In this file there are several lines that contain characters like } and ~ Now, i need a script that replaces the character } to ü and character ~ to ß Can anyone help for a working ksh script? Kind Regards FranzB (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FranzB
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. HP-UX

Replacing Hex Characters In A File Using awk?

Hi guys, First off, i'm a complete noob to UNIX and LINUX so apologies if I don't understand the basics! I have a file which contains a hex value of '0D' at the end of each line when I look at it in a hex viewer. I need to change it so it contains a hex value of '0D0A0A' I thought... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyBSG
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replacing characters in a file

Suppose I have a file which has 1000 columns (5 SHOWN FOR EXAMPLE) two alphabets are separated by a space and then tab A A"\t"C C"\t"G G"\t"0 0"\t"T T A G"\t"C C"\t"G G"\t"A T"\t"0 0 G A"\t"0 0"\t"G C"\t"A A"\t"T C whenever there is a 0 0 in any column, the output should be printed as A... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rossi
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters (runes). Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by dupli- cating its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c Complement string1: replace it with a lexicographically ordered list of all other characters. -d Delete from input all characters in string1. -s Squeeze repeated output characters that occur in string2 to single characters. In either string a noninitial sequence -x, where x is any character (possibly quoted), stands for a range of characters: a possibly empty sequence of codes running from the successor of the previous code up through the code for x. The character followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. The character sequence followed by 1, 2, 3, or 4 hexadecimal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. A followed by any other character stands for that character. EXAMPLES
Replace all upper-case ASCII letters by lower-case. tr A-Z a-z <mixed >lower Create a list of all the words in one per line in where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. String2 is given as a quoted newline. tr -cs A-Za-z ' ' <file1 >file2 SOURCE
/src/cmd/tr.c SEE ALSO
sed(1) TR(1)