Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Looking for memory leaks freeware tools Post 302155128 by fpmurphy on Thursday 3rd of January 2008 03:39:19 AM
Old 01-03-2008
Here are a few C/C++ related memory leak tools to investigate:

mpatrol
njamd
fortify
electric fence
dmalloc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

memory leaks

Hi!! Experts, Any ideas how to check for the memory leaks in a process during performance testing?? I dont use purify.. Any way of finding it out using default S/W in HP UX-11 Can U gimme pointers to site having good scripts/tutorials on performance testing?? Thanx in Advance.. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Memory leaks on HP-UX 11i

Hi folks, We are using following listed configurations for a particular application. HP-UX 11i Sun Java 2 SDK Standard Edition 1.4.1 (version shipped with WebLogic 8) Oracle 9i Release 2 (Oracle 9.2.0) BEA WebLogic Server 8.1 SP3 It seems a memory leak when we use above configurations.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gimhan90
1 Replies

3. Programming

Tool for finding memory leaks

hi, i am a c++ programmer working on linux(redhat linux8.0) environment, i need to find out the memory leaks, so far i didn't used any tools, so what are the tools are available, and whic one is good to use. plz provide with a small example. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strange problem with memory leaks

Hi Unix lovers, I am facing a strange problem about memory leak. One component of our product show memory leak at customer's end but not in development environment. The memory used by the exe goes on increasing at customer end but not in dev. customer has same m/c(HP unix 11i) , the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find memory leaks shell script ???

Hi all, Has anyone out there a shell script to detect memory leaks on unix machines? And if so what way did they go about it .? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nano2
5 Replies

6. AIX

Which tools can show the AIX CPU, Memory and I/O usage?

If somebody knows there are some tools can show how many CPU, memory useage on AIX and can automatically send email? Such as when setup if CPU is used over 80%, send alert by email automatically. Maybe BMC has this tool? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
6 Replies

7. Solaris

freeware needed

Is there any freeware or shareware which can execute .exe files in solaris 10 if it is please give the link (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiwsaj
4 Replies

8. AIX

valgrind - pthread memory leaks on AIX

Hi all, I have written a small code just to invoke main and return immediately. When built with libpthread on AIX box, valgrind throws lots of memory leak errors. But when built without libpthread, no issues at all. Here is the sample run for your look. Any idea where I might be going wrong?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: visionofarun
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Memory leaks on compilations

Hello! I've been struggling for not few hours with memory leaks on this machine. I'm running linux 2.6.32-5-686, and the problem is as follows: Some months ago, I have compiled kernel 2.6.33-2-686 without any issues in this same machine. This week I have tried compiling GNUzilla Icecat and... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: teresaejunior
23 Replies

10. Programming

Memory Leaks

Suppose I have a main() function with only one malloc statement allocating say some 1 gb memory. Also say my system has 1 gb of ram. main() { malloc(1gb) return(0) } The program above exits without freeing the memory. In this case will the 1 gb of heap memory be returned... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
9 Replies
DMALLOC(1)						      General Commands Manual							DMALLOC(1)

NAME
dmalloc - program used to set the environment for debugging using the dmalloc debugging library. SYNOPSIS
dmalloc [options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the dmalloc command. It was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution based, almost verbatim, on the origi- nal documentation provided by the library in GNU Info format; see below. The dmalloc program is designed to assist in the setting of the environment variable DMALLOC_OPTIONS. It is designed to print the shell commands necessary to make the appropriate changes to the environment. Unfortunately, it cannot make the changes on its own so the output from dmalloc should be sent through the `eval' shell command which will do the commands. With shells that have aliasing or macro capabilities: csh, bash, ksh, tcsh, zsh, etc., setting up an alias to dmalloc to do the eval call is recommended. Csh/tcsh users (for example) should put the following in their `.cshrc' file: alias dmalloc 'eval `dmalloc -C *`' Bash and Zsh users on the other hand should put the following in their `.zshrc' file: function dmalloc { eval `command dmalloc -b $*` } This allows the user to execute the dmalloc command as `dmalloc arguments'. The most basic usage for the program is `dmalloc [-bC] tag'. The `-b' or `-C' (either but not both flags used at a time) are for generating Bourne or C shell type commands respectively. dmalloc will try and use the `SHELL' environment variable to determine whether bourne or C shell commands should be generated but you may want to explicitly specify the correct flag. The tag argument to dmalloc should match a line from the user's run-time configuration file or should be one of the built-in tags. If no tag is specified and no other option-commands used, dmalloc will display the current settings of the environment variable. It is useful to specify one of the verbose options when doing this. To find out the usage for the debug malloc program try dmalloc --usage-long. The standardized usage message that will be displayed is one of the many features of the argv library included with this package. It is available via ftp from `ftp.letters.com' in the `/src/argv' directory. See `argv.info' there for more information. OPTIONS
-a address Set the `addr' part of the DMALLOC_OPTIONS variable to address (or alternatively address:number). -b Output Bourne shell type commands. -C Output C shell type commands. -c Clear/unset all of the settings not specified with other arguments. Clear will never unset the `debug' setting. Use -d 0 or a tag to `none' to achieve this. -d bitmask Set the `debug' part of the DMALLOC_OPTIONS env variable to the bitmask value which should be in hex. This is overridden (and unnecessary) if a tag is specified. -D List all of the debug-tokens. Useful for finding a token to be used with the -p or -m options. Use with -v or -V verbose options. -e errno Print the dmalloc error string that corresponds to the error number errno. -f filename Use this configuration file instead of the RC file ~/.dmallocrc. -i number Set the checking interval to number. -k Keep the settings when using a tag. This overrides -r . -l filename Set the log-file to filename. -L Output the debug-value not in hex but by individual debug-tokens in long form. -m token(s) Remove (minus) the debug capabilities of token(s) from the current debug setting or from the selected tag (or -d value). Multiple -m's can be specified. -n Without changing the environment, output the commands resulting from the supplied options. -p token(s) Add (plus) the debug capabilities of token(s) to the current debug setting or to the selected tag (or -d value). Multiple -p's can be specified. -r Remove (unset) all settings when using a tag. This is useful when you are returning to a standard development tag and want the log- file, address, and interval settings to be cleared automatically. If you want this behavior by default, this can be put into the dmalloc alias. -s number Set the `start' part of the DMALLOC_OPTIONS env variable to number (alternatively `file:line'). -S Output the debug-value not in hex but by individual debug-tokens in short form. -t List all of the tags in the rc-file. Use with -v or -V verbose options. -v Give verbose output. Especially useful when dumping current settings or listing all of the tags. If no arguments are specified, dmalloc dumps out the current settings that you have for the environment variable. For example: Debug-Flags '0x40005c7' (runtime) Address 0x1f008, count = 3 Interval 100 Logpath 'malloc' Start-File not-set With a -v option and no arguments, dmalloc dumps out the current settings in a verbose manner. For example: Debug-Flags '0x40005c7' (runtime) log-stats, log-non-free, log-blocks, log-unknown, log-bad-space, check-fence, catch-null Address 0x1f008, count = 10 Interval 100 Logpath 'malloc' Start-File not-set SEE ALSO
The documetation for the library is in GNU Info format. Please check the file /usr/share/info/dmalloc.info.gz for more details. FILES
/usr/share/info/dmalloc.info.gz The real documentation for the dmalloc library. ~/.dmallocrc User's configuration file. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Luis Francisco Gonzalez <luisgh@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). The library was written by Gray Watson. Please see the copyright file in /usr/share/doc/libdmalloc-dev for details. DMALLOC(1)