Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert ip address to ip number Post 302155047 by jalil on Wednesday 2nd of January 2008 08:31:58 PM
Old 01-02-2008
IP to Counrty : PHP & mySQL

Hello,

i was looking around to convert 127.0.0.1 to a number, something that all IP to Counry Databse left out, and stumbled upon your post.
i have some information that may be of help to you.

i have done a module do to what you are trying to do however it is for a particular CMS and in PHP language. You may wish to decode it into whatever language to you. In doing so, i went through the net looking for resources and here is one i found to be reliable and free. IP-to-Country.com | 'Cause every I.P has a Home...

Here are the relevant info...

1. There is a free IP to Country Database HERE. This is the dB i am using and is adequate as i want something simple and non commercial.

2.Converting IP address is done as shown HERE. Your method maybe a little long, so you may wish to check out this recommended one. There are also several other easier and more efficient ways posted by others on the thread i gave above. Take your pick.

3. World Flags.
I found the flags by w ww.hahn-hotel.com to be the best, but you have many to choose from.

The FLAGS are all listed and downloadable HERE

===============
The PHP example below is taken from the same website, where all the above info comes from. Note however, that IP to Number conversion is done using the mySQL "inet_aton" function which does the conversion, so if you use mySQL, you do not need to convert the IP, which is very convenient.

PHP Code:
<?

//---------------------------------------------------
    // Sample code to display Visitor Country information 
    // PHP 4 
    //---------------------------------------------------

// Establishing a database connection
    $dbh=mysql_connect("localhost:3306","$MYSQL_USERNAME","$MYSQL_PASSWORD");
    mysql_select_db("$MYSQL_DBNAME");

// Query for getting visitor countrycode
    $country_query  = "SELECT country_code2,country_name FROM iptoc ".
         "WHERE IP_FROM<=inet_aton('$REMOTE_ADDR') ".
          "AND IP_TO>=inet_aton('$REMOTE_ADDR') ";

// Executing above query
    $country_exec = mysql_query($country_query);

// Fetching the record set into an array
    $ccode_array=mysql_fetch_array($country_exec);

// getting the country code from the array
    $country_code=$ccode_array['country_code2'];

// getting the country name from the array
    $country_name=$ccode_array['country_name'];

// Display the Visitor coountry information
   echo "$country_code - $country_name";

// Closing the database connection
   mysql_close($dbh);

?>
This PHP is of course using the free database provided on the website, but note that this example program is a little off because the database have been updated and the field names are no longer in existence. However, the example serves as a good example.

Hope this helps. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How can I find the number of connections from a specific IP address historically?

I am using netstat -na command to find out the number of network connections from a specific machine, but this returns information as of now. His there anyway that I can find out this information from yesterday or earlier. Thanks, Tim (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkimber
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need script to convert number in hexadecimal

hi , i need a script to convert number into hexadecimal base for example: 237=>ED it s very important for me thank you in advance for you help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mips
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: convert mac address to 16 character format

Hi there Im not quite sure how i can do this, but i am retrieving the mac address from boxes, which in some instances is arriving in its shortened format (i.e. dropping the leading zeros)... for example 0:3:BA:1:E:84 Im trying to figure out a way of converting the single character... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert IP address (within a line) to hostname

I have a tricky problem, and I'm quite the scripting newb. I have Cisco ACLs that have IP addresses in them. I'd like to convert the IP's to hostnames for easier analysis. A sample ACL input file would be (I've obfuscated the IPs): access-list acl-secure-out line 1 extended permit icmp any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scolazz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert e+ to number

Hi, I am using awk to get particular dates in seconds and the output am getting is like 1.28071e+09. How can I convert it to number format. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance..! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert number to english?

Hi gurus, I have a weird requirement. I need to convert the number to english lecture. I have 1.2 ....19 numbers I need to convert to first second third fourth, fifth, sixth... Is there any way convert it using unix command? thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert number

friends as I can convert this value to number in this example it is well but can vary the value does not help me cut from a nesecito espefifica opsiocn get zero CantCabe = 00023 Cant = 23 CantPntCabe = 0000000000000034 CantPnt = 34 if && ; then echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert string number to a integer

I have data as below "ROWS merge process complete. thousand rows changed" I need to get a variable assigned the value of 1000. I mean convert the string thousand to 1000. Any help or pointer. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a String to a Number

I read in two numbers from a user but the number is a string. #!/bin/bash read -p "Enter first number: " num1 read -p "Enter second number: " num2 I know you can use the the "expr" or "bc" command to automatically convert the string to a number then add them together. But I don't want to add... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loc
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert floating point to a number

Hello Guys, I have a floating point number 1.14475E+15 I want to convert this number in to full number (Integer or Big integer). I tried couple of functions it did not work. When I use INT=${FLOAT/.*} I am getting value as 1. I don't want a truncated value #!/bin/bash #... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skatpally
9 Replies