Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to group lines into batches Post 302154780 by ashikin_8119 on Tuesday 1st of January 2008 09:33:55 PM
Old 01-01-2008
Thanks reborg,...i works perfecly,...i really appreaciate it

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

group by for lines

I post my question here also because i have a difficult script to create that do the following: The examples i got dont support it. Lets say the input file is: ABC^1^~^data^x ABC^2^~^data^x ABC^3^~^data^x DEF^4^~^data^y DEF^4^~^data^z DEF^5^~^data^y DEF^5^~^data^z DEF^6^~^data^z... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellsd
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to know abt script that invokes batches and get d log files if batches failed

hi , I need to know commands to be used in the script to invoke batches in order from other scripts and then run those batches,and how to take those logs of those batches which fails........If anyone give me a better idea to complete this entire task in a single script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopimeklord
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the total of a field in all the lines of a group

Hi I have a Fixed format data file where I need to to get the total of the field at certain position in a file for a group of lines. In this data file I need the total of all the field ats position 30:39 for each line starting with 6 and for each group startign with 5. Which means for... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: appsguy616
27 Replies

4. AIX

Delete group of lines from file

I have a rather large file that needs lines deleted periodically. How may I accomplish this task? Should I run into an error message "not enough disk space" AIX 5.3 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tfort73
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Processing batches of files at a time

Hi I would like to run my script to process as many as 50 files at a time. Currently my script is being called like so: ./import.sh -f filename so I want to call my script in this way and it must execute every file in the directory /var/local/dsx/import (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running batches of files at a time from a script

Hi I have a script that performs a process on a file. I want to know how to include a function to run a batch of files? Here is my script #!/bin/bash #---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to delete all lines from a group of files except the 1st 2 lines

Hello, I have a group of text files with many lines in each file. I need to delete all the lines in each and only leave 2 lines in each file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines containing same values in a group

Hi, I have a table like this: Name A1 A2 A3 B1 B2 B3 111 abc abc abc cbc cbc cbc 222 acv acv n_n bbc bbc bbc 333 bvv bvv bvv cBx ccx ccx 444 ttk ttk ttk kke kke kke 555 mcr mcr mcr mcr mcr mcr The 1st column is just names... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop over array in batches

given an array of filenames files=(*) how can i loop over these in batches of four, or even better, work always with four files simultaneously. i want do something with these files, always four of them simultaneously, and if one is ready the next should start. one idea, but definitely not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dietmar13
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to take cPanel backup in batches

I'm trying to resolve the below scenario by writing bash script. On my managed linux server I have about 30 accounts and there is not enough space to generate full 30 accounts backup in one go and transfer it via SFTP to my Backup Synology Server. What I'm thinking of doing is breaking the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
3 Replies
GROUPDEL(8)						    System Management Commands						       GROUPDEL(8)

NAME
groupdel - delete a group SYNOPSIS
groupdel [options] GROUP DESCRIPTION
The groupdel command modifies the system account files, deleting all entries that refer to GROUP. The named group must exist. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the groupdel command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. CAVEATS
You may not remove the primary group of any existing user. You must remove the user before you remove the group. You should manually check all file systems to ensure that no files remain owned by this group. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: MAX_MEMBERS_PER_GROUP (number) Maximum members per group entry. When the maximum is reached, a new group entry (line) is started in /etc/group (with the same name, same password, and same GID). The default value is 0, meaning that there are no limits in the number of members in a group. This feature (split group) permits to limit the length of lines in the group file. This is useful to make sure that lines for NIS groups are not larger than 1024 characters. If you need to enforce such limit, you can use 25. Note: split groups may not be supported by all tools (even in the Shadow toolsuite). You should not use this variable unless you really need it. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. EXIT VALUES
The groupdel command exits with the following values: 0 success 2 invalid command syntax 6 specified group doesn't exist 8 can't remove user's primary group 10 can't update group file SEE ALSO
chfn(1), chsh(1), passwd(1), gpasswd(8), groupadd(8), groupmod(8), useradd(8), userdel(8), usermod(8). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 GROUPDEL(8)