Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help to enchance unix tool..
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help to enchance unix tool.. Post 302153118 by ramen_noodle on Sunday 23rd of December 2007 03:12:42 PM
Old 12-23-2007
Comon workaround

Since mandatory file locking in *nix is somewhat, well, borked , you could use the common kludge of an independent lockfile for exclusive access per file. The trick there is
making bulletproof the removal of the same based on client behavior, implementing a timed wait, etc..Not impossible, but challenging.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Archival Tool for UNIX

Hi All, Need to get the information if there is any tool on Unix for Archiving and retrival of documents automatically. Having the capbalilty to integrate with other systems. And provide the APIs which can be called from other Systems to facilitate automatic Archival and Retrieval. Thanks &... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjeev0915
7 Replies

2. Infrastructure Monitoring

Free monitoring tool on Unix

Dear All, Any one used free monitoring tool on HP machines (unix) , what is the most easy to install and configure (MRTG, Cricket, or Zabbix) ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salhoub
1 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Unix Monitoring tool

Hi all, Please let me know the most using, perfect unix monitoring tool and the link for downloading the tool. It should have network server monitoring on all aspect(working users, memory usage, working services, disk space etc). Thanks Rath (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshp
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test automation tool for UNIX ??

I am searching for a automation testing tool which I can use for most of the UNIX platforms (AIX, Linux, HP UX, Solaris). The installation process of the application in all platforms is almost same. Are you aware of any automation tool (like WinRunner for Windows) to solve my problem? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unmanju
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

tool for migration from HP Tru64 UNIX to Linux Red Hat 5

Hi, We are going to migrate our Dataware House system from HP Tru64 UNIX to Red Hat Linux 5. There are more than 500 shell scripts which are written in ksh. The schedule is very tight. So, I want to learn whether there is a tool that can help us find the incompatible shell scripts in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksubramania
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Ftp tool for unix

I am looking for a unix based ftptool. solaris 5.8 version (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kgallagh
5 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Tool for Convert XLS into CSV in UNIX

Hi I wanted to convert some XLS files into CSV format in my UNIX box. Unix box is handling very important data which are related to data warehouse.It is fully optimized by installing minimum packages since server need more resources to handle reports generating. Just for convert XLS files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: luke_devon
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tool scan my network and get all Unix servers

Hello, is there any tool where I can scan my netwrk and get all types of Unix servers? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fsmadi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can we build a tool for Windows to retrieve data from UNIX servers (putty console)

Hi Friends, Is it possible to build a windows tool ( a java applet maybe? ) which can retrieve data and display after performing certain commands on unix servers ( simple grep / script output) after logging into putty console. I am on a company server so please bear that in mind. I might have... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
23 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX tool on MacOS that can increase resolution of a file

hi, I am searching for a native tool on MacOS that can increase the resolution of a group of image files whose aspect ratios (file width versus height) vary widely. There are numerous files so I don't wish to do this manually. Someone suggested the sips command with the resampling option but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Godtookapicture
5 Replies
creat(2)							System Calls Manual							  creat(2)

NAME
creat - create a new file or rewrite an existing one SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system call creates a new regular file or prepares to rewrite an existing file named by the path name pointed to by path. If the file exists, its length is truncated to 0, and its mode and owner are unchanged. Otherwise, the file's owner ID is set to the effective user ID of the process. If the set-group-ID bit of the parent directory is set, the file's group ID is set to the group ID of the parent directory. Otherwise, the file's group ID is set to the process's effective group ID. The low-order 12 bits of the file mode are set to the value of mode modified as follows: o All bits set in the process's file mode creation mask are cleared (see umask(2)). o The "save text image after execution" bit of the mode is cleared (see chmod(2)). If the system call is made in 64 bit mode, the status flag is automatically set (see fcntl(5) or open(2)). Upon successful completion, the file descriptor is returned and the file is open for writing (only), even if the mode does not permit writ- ing. The file offset is set to the beginning of the file. The file descriptor is set to remain open across system calls (see fcntl(2)). Each process has a limit on how many files it can open simultaneously. Refer to getrlimit(2) for the open files limit. This is also dis- cussed in open(2). A new file can be created with a mode that forbids writing. Access Control Lists - HFS File Systems Only On HFS file systems that support access control lists, three base ACL entries are created corresponding to the file access permission bits. An existing file's access control list is unchanged by (see setacl(2), chmod(2), and acl(5)). Access Control Lists - JFS File Systems Only On JFS file systems that support access control lists, optional ACL entries are created corresponding to the parent directory's default ACL entries. An existing file's access control list is unchanged by (see acl(2), chmod(2), and aclv(5)). RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. n is the value of the file descriptor. It is nonnegative. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values: Search permission is denied on a component of the path prefix. The file does not exist and the directory in which the file is to be created does not permit writing. The file exists and write permission is denied. The file exists, enforcement mode file and record locking is set and there are outstanding record locks on the file. User's or group's disk quota block or inode limit has been reached for this file system. path points outside the allocated address space of the process. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. The named file is an existing directory. Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the path name. More than the maximum number of file descriptors are currently open. The length of the specified path name exceeds bytes, or the length of a component of the path name exceeds bytes while is in effect. The system file table is full. The named file does not exist (for example, path is null, or a component of path does not exist). Not enough space on the file system. A component of the path prefix is not a directory. The named file is a character special or block special file, and the device associated with this special file does not exist. The named file is a regular file and the size of the file cannot be represented correctly in an object of type The named file resides or would reside on a read-only file system. The file is a pure procedure (shared text) file that is being executed. SEE ALSO
chmod(2), close(2), creat64(2), dup(2), fcntl(2), lockf(2), lseek(2), open(2), open64(2), read(2), setacl(2), truncate(2), umask(2), write(2), acl(5), aclv(5), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
creat(2)