Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: complete unix noob (sorry)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers complete unix noob (sorry) Post 302152950 by DukeNuke2 on Saturday 22nd of December 2007 12:56:37 PM
Old 12-22-2007
start with linux (e.g. ubuntu) or sun solaris (for x86) to run a virtual machine. if you use vmware, there are vmware images from sun that you can use...
Solaris

for the rest: read and learn! the forum is a good starting place...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is unix download the complete OS

Hello people, Can anyone tell me if the download from sun.com solaris 8 is the full unix operating system?? strange question i know but ive just downloaded the whole thing 2.5G and counldnt think as to why they would let people download it for free.:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A complete Unix Newbie

I would like to know if I should install unix over a windows 98. I want to use a home computer to host websites right now, but I know how much Windows likes resources ;) So, my question is... Should I get a Unix OS? If no, then do not read more and just reply :) If yes, then, which one? How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afinita
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob learning Unix: backup commands

I am trying to learn some unix here and i have some question that i would like to ask: What's the most basic backup command? What is the command to pause a backup? What is the command to resume backup? Can we backup a job that is running ? How can we pause the backup of the job and than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lotusx
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am a unix noob

Hello i am new to this forum. I signed up here really to ask one question. I recentaly got a old unix server from my work and i never really understood what unix is or what is does. Dont get me wrong i and very smart with computers as long as its windows, mac, or linux i can use them all but i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alt+f4
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

complete noob

Hi all, This is my first post. I am a complete noobie to the UNIX OS, I have an iMac G5 with the unix shell built in and am interested in learning how to use it to do things useful with it, but have no idea where to start. I have read over the basic commands but they haven't helped me much yet.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avdrummerboy
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Noob, wat do i need etc

Hey everyone I am currently starting University, (Aus) and i am required to study Unix as apart of my study. We have gone through the basics in orientation but here at home they said i can access my files through the 'ssh' command. All i need to know is: - How will my wireless internet be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylin3fr3ak
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix noob help with awk?

Hi I'm really new to this so sorry if this is trivial What I'm trying to do is take a file with 3 columns of numbers and cat all the entries of the second and third columns which have the same entry in the first column into a file with the number from the first column in the name. So say 1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnnaLynn
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob on Unix.

This may seem really easy to alot of you but i am a real noob on unix. I have been set the task to make a script which will answer a query. Basically I will have made files for people and i want to be able to search for a persons file and then select certain variables from the files. e.g... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobtheb
7 Replies

9. BSD

Complete noob question: Software installation

I'm a Linux guy who is tring out BSD for the first time... What is the BSD program to automatically fetch and and install software? Is it pkg_add? Will pkg_add automatically fetch and and install software? Does it work on all BSD variants? This is all I could find, but I wanted to make... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: biznatch
5 Replies

10. HP-UX

Anybody wants to help a complete Noob?

Hello there, first post here so go easy on me! :D I just aquired an old HP 9000 Dclass d220 server, all I know is that it's running HP-UX, and it appears to boot fine (I see the modules loading, etc..) Now, I have been an MS guy all my life (yeah I know, make fun of me), so I really have no... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marvio
9 Replies
WHAT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     WHAT-PATCH(1)

NAME
what-patch - detect which patch system a Debian package uses SYNOPSIS
what-patch [options] DESCRIPTION
what-patch examines the debian/rules file to determine which patch system the Debian package is using. what-patch should be run from the root directory of the Debian source package. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for what-patch: -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -v Enable verbose mode. This will include the listing of any files modified outside or the debian/ directory and report any additional details about the patch system if available. AUTHORS
what-patch was written by Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com>, Siegfried-A. Gevatter <rainct@ubuntu.com>, and Daniel Hahler <ubuntu@thequod.de>, among others. This manual page was written by Jonathan Patrick Davies <jpds@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. SEE ALSO
The Ubuntu MOTU team has some documentation about patch systems at the Ubuntu wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems cdbs-edit-patch(1), dbs-edit-patch(1), dpatch-edit-patch(1) DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WHAT-PATCH(1)