Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users set Ulimit data segment to Unlimited Post 302152942 by fpmurphy on Saturday 22nd of December 2007 11:10:25 AM
Old 12-22-2007
If you are using the ulimit utility (/usr/bin/ulimit) it is ulimit -d.

Some shells have a builtin ulimit which you can also use.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data segment using awk??

How do I filter a long report, with the "STARTWORD" and "STOPWORD" as the variables to use in my awk command, to print the whole data segment that only contains the matched start/stop word? awk '/start/, /stop/' file <- this prints the line, though I need to print the whole segment. Newline... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apalex
1 Replies

2. Programming

bss(uninitialized data) segment allocation

Hi 1) Please go through the following code : char string2; char string1; main() { memcpy(string2,"SENDER ",12); strcpy(string1,"******"); printf("%s\n%s\n",string1,string2); } 2) and the output of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karimulla_sha
7 Replies

3. AIX

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version?

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

ulimit -c unlimited

Hi, I want to set the coredump to unlimited, but it seems it does not work. > ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 stack(kbytes) 131072 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 4194303... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr_andrew
1 Replies

5. AIX

data segment on AIX

Hi guys, Are all users authorised to modify the data segment and stack segment to unlimited on AIX? Is a reboot required after giving ulimit -d unlimited? Thanks vandi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vandi
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

set permanent ulimit

Hi all I have a request from user to change the file descriptors limit to 8192. The current setting are: root@xxxxx:(wmdev)> ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 stack(kbytes) 131072 memory(kbytes) unlimited... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
3 Replies

7. Programming

Data segment or Text segment

Hi, Whether the following piece of code is placed in the read-only memory of code (text) segment or data segment? char *a = "Hello"; I am getting two different answers while searching in google :( that's why the confusion is (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
7 Replies

8. Solaris

HOW to set unlimited login attempts for user in Solaris?

Hi Admins, HOW to set unlimited login attempts for user in Solaris ? And do I need to insatll any packages before doing this? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Ulimit -c unlimited

I was trying to generate core dump of a process.But it is not generated. While digging up the issue I found that Core File Size is set to 0. I set it with #ulimit -c unlimited.After that I found the core file size is set to 0 (ulimit -a).I exit that session and again logged in.But found the core... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
12 Replies
ULIMIT(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 ULIMIT(3)

NAME
ulimit -- get and set process limits LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <ulimit.h> long ulimit(int cmd, ...); DESCRIPTION
The ulimit() function will get and set process limits. Currently this is limited to the maximum file size. The cmd argument is one of the following: UL_GETFSIZE will return the maximum file size in units of 512 blocks of the current process. UL_SETFSIZE will attempt to set the maximum file size of the current process and its children with the second argument expressed as a long. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, ulimit() returns the value requested; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The ulimit() function will fail if: [EINVAL] The command specified was invalid. [EPERM] The limit specified to ulimit() would have raised the maximum limit value, and the caller is not the super-user. SEE ALSO
getrlimit(2) STANDARDS
The ulimit() function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The ulimit() function first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0. BUGS
The ulimit() function provides limited precision for setting and retrieving process limits. If there is a need for greater precision than the type long provides, the getrlimit(2) and setrlimit(2) functions should be considered. BSD
January 4, 2003 BSD