Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to sort a string with numbers Post 302152793 by shamrock on Friday 21st of December 2007 09:09:46 AM
Old 12-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjiefreak
Hi,

I need help to sort a file contents.

I am using sort -r option to basically reverse the comparison in descending order. However, i found out that my file is not sorted according, can anyone please help.

My data is something like:-
Hello world
20.982342864 343
19.234355545 222
1.5567846 345
17.8767787 200

If I use the option -g or -n it works..but it is in ascending order. but I would like to display in descending order.I tried -nr but the Hello world line would be reverse as well as the last item.

My desired output would be
Hello world
20.982342864 343
19.234355545 222
17.8767787 200
1.5567846 345

Thanks.
Code:
sort -r -k 1,1 file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort by numbers, then alphabetically

Hey guys, I have a file that contains the following: 366 K 364 Q 12 UB 7 INC. P 4 Law 2 LAMB 2 High 1 QEG 1 OF 1 LC 1 B As you can see, it's already sorted by numerical order, how do I sort it again, breaking the ties by using the alphabetical order of the second column, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrew9191
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting numbers with sort -n

Looking for help for sort, I learned that for sorting numbers I use: sort -n but it seems that that is not enough when you have numbers like 0.2000E+7 for example, sort -n will not worry about the E+7 part, and will just sort the numbers like 0.2000. Exapmle: cat example.txt .91000E+07... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort numbers

Hello, okey so my script is using 4 variables that are either empty or numbers in the following format: NUMBER_1 NUMBER_2 NUMBER_3 NUMBER_4 So they're basically separated by a space and I need to echo the lowest number, so far I've been doing it like this: echo "2 3 1 3" | tr " "... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort version numbers?

I would like to know how to sort version numbers, using bash or perl. I would like to sort file names that are program names with version numbers and extensions, such as hello-0.2.3.tar.gz and hello-0.10.3.tar.gz. Version numbers of computer programs do not comply with the mathematical rule... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort numbers which has colon (:) in between

Although i tried multiple option i couldn't find a way to get the rigt ouput. Say i have the following data cat file.txt C request C response C request C response The output should look like (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sort numbers

I have files like this: 1 3 4 6 14 3 6 I want to extract the highest number. I have tried using cat filename | sort but then 9 would become higher than 14. So how do I sort? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort based on numbers

I have a file which has the following data :- how can I sort the data in descending order . My files may have the first column with 1 to 10000 numbers .I need to arrange them in descending order . Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazydev
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort only numbers within a string

Hi, I am having contents in a file like below, cat testfile rpool/swap rpool/swap14 rpool/swap2 rpool/swap3 I want to sort the above contents like, rpool/swap rpool/swap2 rpool/swap3 rpool/swap14 I have tried in this way, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
7 Replies
evmsort(1)						      General Commands Manual							evmsort(1)

NAME
evmsort - sort events SYNOPSIS
show_template]] sport_spec] [filename | DESCRIPTION
The command reads and sorts a stream of EVM events. By default, events are read from and are sorted into ascending timestamp order. Sorted events are written to the command's stream in the form of raw EVM events. The sort order can be specified by supplying a sort_spec, either through the option or by setting the environment variable to the required specification. The specification is a character string of the form: key_item[ The key_item is the name of any EVM standard data item and the character is optional. If the special key_item is specified, the event's data item is expanded as described in the evmshow(1) manpage, and the resulting string is used as the sort key. The optional trailing or character indicates ascending or descending sort. By default, items are sorted in ascending order. Multiple items in the string are separated by colon characters The left-most key_item in the specification is the most significant key. If a key_item that is included in the sort specification is not present in an event read from the input stream, the item is considered to have a low value for that event. For example, if input events are being sorted in ascending order according to their data items, and one event does not contain a name, that event appears first in the output stream. If the option is specified, automatically starts and pipes the sorted event stream into it, producing a sorted and formatted display of events. If a argument is also specified with the specified template string is passed to through its own option. See the evmshow(1) manpage for more information. Options Automatically starts to produce a formatted display of the sorted events. The specification to be used in sorting events. See the section for the syntax of the sort_spec, and for details of the default sort order. Template string to be passed to if the option is also specified. If the option is not specified, this argument is ignored. See the evmshow(1) manpage for a description of the template string. Operands filename Reads event sources from filename. If filename is omitted, or is specified as event sources are read from EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables The following environment variables affect the execution of This variable contains a string formatted as described for a sort_spec. If the option is omitted, the string is used as the sort_spec. RETURN VALUES
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
o The following example retrieves all events with a priority of 300 or greater, sorts them into descending order of priority (most urgent event first) and then ascending order of time (oldest event first), and automatically runs to display them. o The following example yields a list of all events, sorted with the latest event first within o The following example yields a list of all events, sorted first in order of their formatted messages and then sorted in ascending order of time. Events are passed to for display and subsequently to the command for viewing. WARNINGS
The command rejects attempts to output raw events to a terminal device. SEE ALSO
Commands evmget(1), evmpost(1), evmshow(1), evmwatch(1). Files evmchannel.conf(4). Event Management EVM(5). EVM Events EvmEvent(5). Event Filter EvmFilter(5). evmsort(1)