Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A Strange Behaviour!!!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A Strange Behaviour!!! Post 302152744 by porter on Friday 21st of December 2007 03:35:32 AM
Old 12-21-2007
How to make things simple?

How about "You need write permissions to write."

Nothing odd or strange going on.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

/etc/passwd strange behaviour!

Hi there, first of all, here is my conf of a uname -a Linux SAMBA 2.4.18-4GB #1 Wed Mar 27 13:57:05 UTC 2002 i686 unknown on a fedora machine. Here is my problem: every once in a while, the line containing root disappears in the /etc/passwd, disabling all logging on my server. Any one have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange sed behaviour

$ echo a.bc | sed -e "s/\|/\\|/g" |a|.|b|c| $ Is the behavior of the sed statement expected ? Or is this a bug in sed ? OS details Linux 2.6.9-55.0.0.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 2 14:59:56 PDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Program behaviour

Had a strange thing going on with my code. It's ok I figured it out for myself.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behaviour from sed???

Hi all, I want to do a very simple thing with sed. I want to print out the line number of a disk I have defined in /etc/exports, so I do: It's all good, but here's the problem. When I define md0 in a variable, I get nothing from sed: Why is that? can anybody please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour with perl i/o?

Hi All, I got a strange problem here. I have a perl script which is fetching data from a database table and writing a file with that data. If i run that script from linux command line, the file it creates is a normal ascii text file without any binary character in it.But... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
9 Replies

6. HP-UX

Strange login behaviour

Hi all, I am using HP-UX and I have just noticed that when I log into the network it seems to save the previous windows that were subsequently closed on previous occasions. Does anyone know when I log in, it seems to display these previous windows, e.g. nedit windows open again? Does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange RegExp Behaviour

Hello, I was trying to identify lines who has a word of the following pattern "xyyx" (where x, and ys are different characters). I was trying the following grep - egrep '(\S)()\2\1' This pattern do catches the wanted pattern, but it also catches "GGGG" or "CCCC" patterns. I was trying to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itskov
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Crontab strange behaviour

Hi all, I'm having this scenario which for the moment I cannot resolve. :( I wrote a script to make a dump/export of the oracle database. and then put this entry on crontab to be executed daily for example. The script is like below: cat /home/oracle/scripts/db_backup.sh #!/bin/ksh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour of arrays in awk

Imagine 2 files f1 f2: file1_l1_c1 code_to_find file1_l1_c3 file1_l2_c1 file1_code2 file1_l2_c3 file1_l3_c1 file1_code3 file1_l3_c3 file2_l1_c1 file2_l1_c2 code_to_find file2_l2_c1 file2_l2_c2 file2_code5 file2_l3_c1 file2_l3_c2 file2_code3 Say we want to print lines from f2 having... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
5 Replies
AMIN(1)                                                       General Commands Manual                                                      AMIN(1)

NAME
amin - notify writers that you are busy SYNOPSIS
amin [-ynesp] command [args...] DESCRIPTION
Amin is used when you don't want to be written while running a command. It runs the command given normally. If your message permissions (see mesg(1)) are off, it does nothing much else. If your messages are on, people writing you with write(1) will be warned that you are running that command and will be given the opportunity to change their minds about writing you. The -n option may be used to turn your messages entirely off for the duration of the execution of command. People writing you will get "Permission denied". The -y option turns your message permissions on for the duration of the execution of the command. The -e may be used after either -n or -y to indicate that the logins listed in the .yeswrite or the .nowrite files respectively are exceptions to the message permissions set. The default is -s which leaves your message permissions in their original state. In any case, after the command is com- plete, your permissions will be restored to the original state. The -p flag causes all telegrams sent to you while the command is running to be saved. They are displayed as soon as the command is com- plete. If used with the -n flag, writes are refused, but telegrams are still saved. If you have designated yourself as a helper, you will still be marked on the finger(1) output as a helper while you are running amin but people doing ``write help'' will not be connected to you, even if you have the helper flag set to ``Y''. AUTHOR
Jan Wolter FILES
/etc/wrttmp to find message permissions /etc/utmp to find user SEE ALSO
mesg(1), finger(1), write(1), huh(1). 7th Edition July 1, 1991 AMIN(1)