Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: maximum tar file size?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers maximum tar file size? Post 302152681 by Cameron on Thursday 20th of December 2007 09:15:12 PM
Old 12-20-2007
A ~68Gig tar file - crikey, you'd definately want to compress that sucker!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum size of sed file...

The sed -f option (reading sed commands from a file) seems to have a limit of 200 transactions per file. I can't see anything in the man pages about this restriction. I have a file with several thousand sed commands I need to perform (substitutions) - and while I can split the file into... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar file size (volume) limiting

Hi I am trying to create tar files of a whole bunch of files and want to limit them to 50Mb each. I have tried using the -k option but cannot get it to work. Has anyone out there had success creating these? Cheers Ian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigjeff
1 Replies

3. Programming

Maximum File Size

Hi, When i checked for the maximum file size on solaris 5.9 the max file size obtained was only 2147483647 and all the further writes to the file which had reached that max size is not added to that file. even i had registered the signal SIGXFSZ, but the signal was not delivered to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum input file size in "Diff" Command

Hello, Can anyone let me know what is the maximum file size that can be given as input for the "Diff" Command in Unix? I have a file size as large as 28MB and which can also increase. Will I face any issues with such a file size. If yes, What is the other alternative. Thanks in advance for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neeraja
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum size of a file in unix

What's the maximum file size supported by unix. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum file size ????

Hi All, - block size of 512KB & every address requires 4 bits - The inode structure contains 10 direct pointers, 1 single indirect, 1 double indirect & 1 triple indirect pointer What could be the possible maximum file size for this system Any guess? I am unable to understand the question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the size of tar,Z,gz type file.

Hi, How to get the size of the .tar file .Z file .gz file. Please help me what command i need to use in shell scripting :( Regards, Kalai (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to identify maximum stack size?

Hi All, I have set max stack size as 4KB for my thread, but it always using very less. So I like to know what is the maximum stack size is used by my thread. I tried with gcc -fstack-usage command line option, but its not supported by mips. Kindly suggest me the way to find the max stack... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
6 Replies

9. Programming

Maximum buffer size for read()

Hi friends, Hope everybody is fine. First have a look at my code, then we will talk about it. $ cat copy.c #include <stdio.h> #define PERMS 0644 /* RW for owner, R for group, others */ #define BUFSIZE 1 char *progname; int main(int argc,char * argv) { int f1, f2, n; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress a tar file to smaller size

I have a tar file with name DTT012_GP_20140207.tar and many more with different names of different sizes ranging from 1GB to 4GB. Now my requirement is to extract/not extract these files and then divide it into various parts of size 500MB and save it with different names and then compress... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaibal_bp
5 Replies
UUENCODE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       UUENCODE(1)

NAME
uudecode, uuencode -- encode/decode a binary file SYNOPSIS
uuencode [-m] [-o output_file] [file] name uudecode [-cips] [file ...] uudecode [-i] -o output_file [file] DESCRIPTION
The uuencode and uudecode utilities are used to transmit binary files over transmission mediums that do not support other than simple ASCII data. The uuencode utility reads file (or by default the standard input) and writes an encoded version to the standard output, or output_file if one has been specified. The encoding uses only printing ASCII characters and includes the mode of the file and the operand name for use by uudecode. The uudecode utility transforms uuencoded files (or by default, the standard input) into the original form. The resulting file is named either name or (depending on options passed to uudecode) output_file and will have the mode of the original file except that setuid and exe- cute bits are not retained. The uudecode utility ignores any leading and trailing lines. The following options are available for uuencode: -m Use the Base64 method of encoding, rather than the traditional uuencode algorithm. -o output_file Output to output_file instead of standard output. The following options are available for uudecode: -c Decode more than one uuencode'd file from file if possible. -i Do not overwrite files. -o output_file Output to output_file instead of any pathname contained in the input data. -p Decode file and write output to standard output. -s Do not strip output pathname to base filename. By default uudecode deletes any prefix ending with the last slash '/' for security purpose. EXAMPLES
The following example packages up a source tree, compresses it, uuencodes it and mails it to a user on another system. When uudecode is run on the target system, the file ``src_tree.tar.Z'' will be created which may then be uncompressed and extracted into the original tree. tar cf - src_tree | compress | uuencode src_tree.tar.Z | mail sys1!sys2!user The following example unpack all uuencode'd files from your mailbox into your current working directory. uudecode -c < $MAIL The following example extract a compress'ed tar archive from your mailbox uudecode -o /dev/stdout < $MAIL | zcat | tar xfv - LEGACY DESCRIPTION
In legacy operation, uudecode masks file modes with 0666, preventing the creation of executable files. uudecode cannot change the mode of a created file which is not owned by the current user (unless that user is root). In legacy operation, fchmod(2) allows the mode to be changed. For more information about legacy mode, see compat(5). SEE ALSO
basename(1), compress(1), mail(1), uucp(1), fchmod(2), uuencode(5) BUGS
Files encoded using the traditional algorithm are expanded by 35% (3 bytes become 4, plus control information). HISTORY
The uudecode and uuencode utilities appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
January 27, 2002 BSD