Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: maximum tar file size?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers maximum tar file size? Post 302152681 by Cameron on Thursday 20th of December 2007 09:15:12 PM
Old 12-20-2007
A ~68Gig tar file - crikey, you'd definately want to compress that sucker!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum size of sed file...

The sed -f option (reading sed commands from a file) seems to have a limit of 200 transactions per file. I can't see anything in the man pages about this restriction. I have a file with several thousand sed commands I need to perform (substitutions) - and while I can split the file into... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar file size (volume) limiting

Hi I am trying to create tar files of a whole bunch of files and want to limit them to 50Mb each. I have tried using the -k option but cannot get it to work. Has anyone out there had success creating these? Cheers Ian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigjeff
1 Replies

3. Programming

Maximum File Size

Hi, When i checked for the maximum file size on solaris 5.9 the max file size obtained was only 2147483647 and all the further writes to the file which had reached that max size is not added to that file. even i had registered the signal SIGXFSZ, but the signal was not delivered to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum input file size in "Diff" Command

Hello, Can anyone let me know what is the maximum file size that can be given as input for the "Diff" Command in Unix? I have a file size as large as 28MB and which can also increase. Will I face any issues with such a file size. If yes, What is the other alternative. Thanks in advance for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neeraja
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum size of a file in unix

What's the maximum file size supported by unix. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum file size ????

Hi All, - block size of 512KB & every address requires 4 bits - The inode structure contains 10 direct pointers, 1 single indirect, 1 double indirect & 1 triple indirect pointer What could be the possible maximum file size for this system Any guess? I am unable to understand the question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the size of tar,Z,gz type file.

Hi, How to get the size of the .tar file .Z file .gz file. Please help me what command i need to use in shell scripting :( Regards, Kalai (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to identify maximum stack size?

Hi All, I have set max stack size as 4KB for my thread, but it always using very less. So I like to know what is the maximum stack size is used by my thread. I tried with gcc -fstack-usage command line option, but its not supported by mips. Kindly suggest me the way to find the max stack... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
6 Replies

9. Programming

Maximum buffer size for read()

Hi friends, Hope everybody is fine. First have a look at my code, then we will talk about it. $ cat copy.c #include <stdio.h> #define PERMS 0644 /* RW for owner, R for group, others */ #define BUFSIZE 1 char *progname; int main(int argc,char * argv) { int f1, f2, n; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress a tar file to smaller size

I have a tar file with name DTT012_GP_20140207.tar and many more with different names of different sizes ranging from 1GB to 4GB. Now my requirement is to extract/not extract these files and then divide it into various parts of size 500MB and save it with different names and then compress... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaibal_bp
5 Replies
BF_TAR(1)						    Bogofilter Reference Manual 						 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. AUTHORS
Matthias Andree Bogofilter 03/15/2010 BF_TAR(1)