Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A Strange Behaviour!!!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A Strange Behaviour!!! Post 302152590 by navojit dutta on Thursday 20th of December 2007 11:47:34 AM
Old 12-20-2007
A Strange Behaviour!!!

Can some-one give me a view to this :

I have a directory in an unix server, having permissions r-xr-xr-x .This directory is basically a source directory.
Now there is another directory basically the destination directory which has all the permissions.

Note:I log in as not the owner,but user of the group.

Is it possible to cp the files from the source directory to the destination directory.
(It was possible but i found it a bit erie as i didn't had the "w" permission in the source directory).

The second issue is I have a source directory with all the permissions.I have a file "abc" in that directory along with another file "def" in the same.
I created a 0 byte file "abc" in the destination directory having -r-xr-xr-x access but no 0 byte file for "def".
Now the erie thing is I am able to copy "abc" to the destination directory but not able to copy the file "def".

Note:I log in as not the owner,but user of the group.
WHY???

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

/etc/passwd strange behaviour!

Hi there, first of all, here is my conf of a uname -a Linux SAMBA 2.4.18-4GB #1 Wed Mar 27 13:57:05 UTC 2002 i686 unknown on a fedora machine. Here is my problem: every once in a while, the line containing root disappears in the /etc/passwd, disabling all logging on my server. Any one have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange sed behaviour

$ echo a.bc | sed -e "s/\|/\\|/g" |a|.|b|c| $ Is the behavior of the sed statement expected ? Or is this a bug in sed ? OS details Linux 2.6.9-55.0.0.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 2 14:59:56 PDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Program behaviour

Had a strange thing going on with my code. It's ok I figured it out for myself.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behaviour from sed???

Hi all, I want to do a very simple thing with sed. I want to print out the line number of a disk I have defined in /etc/exports, so I do: It's all good, but here's the problem. When I define md0 in a variable, I get nothing from sed: Why is that? can anybody please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour with perl i/o?

Hi All, I got a strange problem here. I have a perl script which is fetching data from a database table and writing a file with that data. If i run that script from linux command line, the file it creates is a normal ascii text file without any binary character in it.But... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
9 Replies

6. HP-UX

Strange login behaviour

Hi all, I am using HP-UX and I have just noticed that when I log into the network it seems to save the previous windows that were subsequently closed on previous occasions. Does anyone know when I log in, it seems to display these previous windows, e.g. nedit windows open again? Does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange RegExp Behaviour

Hello, I was trying to identify lines who has a word of the following pattern "xyyx" (where x, and ys are different characters). I was trying the following grep - egrep '(\S)()\2\1' This pattern do catches the wanted pattern, but it also catches "GGGG" or "CCCC" patterns. I was trying to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itskov
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Crontab strange behaviour

Hi all, I'm having this scenario which for the moment I cannot resolve. :( I wrote a script to make a dump/export of the oracle database. and then put this entry on crontab to be executed daily for example. The script is like below: cat /home/oracle/scripts/db_backup.sh #!/bin/ksh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour of arrays in awk

Imagine 2 files f1 f2: file1_l1_c1 code_to_find file1_l1_c3 file1_l2_c1 file1_code2 file1_l2_c3 file1_l3_c1 file1_code3 file1_l3_c3 file2_l1_c1 file2_l1_c2 code_to_find file2_l2_c1 file2_l2_c2 file2_code5 file2_l3_c1 file2_l3_c2 file2_code3 Say we want to print lines from f2 having... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
5 Replies
FS_COPYACL(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_COPYACL(1)

NAME
fs_copyacl - Copies an ACL from a directory to one or more other directories SYNOPSIS
fs copyacl -fromdir <source directory (or DFS file)> -todir <destination directory (or DFS file)>+ [-clear] [-id] [-if] [-help] fs co -f <source directory (or DFS file)> -t <destination directory (or DFS file)>+ [-c] [-id] [-if] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs copyacl command copies the access control list (ACL) from a source directory to each specified destination directory. The source directory's ACL is unchanged, and changes to the destination directory's ACL obey the following rules: o If an entry on the source ACL does not already exist on the destination ACL, it is added. o If an entry exists on both the source and destination ACLs, the permissions from the source ACL entry replace the current permissions on the destination ACL entry. o If an entry on the destination ACL has no corresponding entry on the source ACL, it is removed if the -clear flag is included and is unchanged otherwise. In other words, if the -clear flag is provided, the source ACL completely replaces the destination ACL. When using this command to copy ACLs between objects in DFS filespace accessed via the AFS/DFS Migration Toolkit Protocol Translator, it is possible to specify files, as well as directories, with the -fromdir and -todir arguments. CAUTIONS
Do not copy ACLs between AFS and DFS files or directories. The ACL formats are incompatible. OPTIONS
-fromdir <source directory> Specifies the source directory from which to copy the ACL. (Specifying an AFS file copies its directory's ACL, but specifying a DFS file copies its own ACL.) A partial pathname is interpreted relative to the current working directory. -todir <destination directory> Specifies each directory for which to alter the ACL to match the source ACL. (Specifying an AFS file halts the command with an error, but specifying a DFS file alters the file's ACL). A partial pathname is interpreted relative to the current working directory. Specify the read/write path to each directory (or DFS file), to avoid the failure that results from attempting to change a read-only volume. By convention, the read/write path is indicated by placing a period before the cell name at the pathname's second level (for example, "/afs/.abc.com"). For further discussion of the concept of read/write and read-only paths through the filespace, see the fs mkmount reference page. -clear Replaces the ACL of each destination directory with the source ACL. -id Modifies the Initial Container ACL of each DFS directory named by the -todir argument, rather than the regular Object ACL. This argument is supported only when both the source and each destination directory reside in DFS and are accessed via the AFS/DFS Migration Toolkit Protocol Translator. -if Modifies the Initial Object ACL of each DFS directory named by the -todir argument, rather than the regular Object ACL. This argument is supported only when both the source and each destination directory reside in DFS and are accessed via the AFS/DFS Migration Toolkit Protocol Translator. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following example command copies the current working directory's ACL to its subdirectory called reports. Note that the source directory's ACL is unaffected. Entries on the reports directory's that are not on the source ACL of the current directory remain unaffected as well, because the -clear flag is not used. % fs listacl . reports Access list for . is Normal rights: pat rlidwka smith rlidwk Access list for reports is Normal rights: pat rl pat:friends rl Negative rights jones rlidwka % fs copyacl -fromdir . -todir reports % fs listacl . reports Access list for . is Normal rights: pat rlidwka smith rlidwk Access list for reports is Normal rights: pat rlidwka pat:friends rl smith rlidwk Negative rights jones rlidwka PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
To copy an ACL between AFS objects, the issuer must have the "l" (lookup) permission on the source directory's ACL and the "a" (administer) permission on each destination directory's ACL. If the -fromdir argument names a file rather than a directory, the issuer must have both the "l" and "r" (read) permissions on the ACL of the file's directory. To copy an ACL between DFS objects, the issuer must have the r permission on the source directory or file's ACL and the "c" (control) permission on each destination directory or file's ACL. SEE ALSO
fs_listacl(1), fs_mkmount(1), fs_setacl(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_COPYACL(1)