Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris connecting laptop to V240 serial port Post 302152372 by porter on Wednesday 19th of December 2007 05:19:23 PM
Old 12-19-2007
Yes, plenty of goodies in the OpenBoot prom to keep you busy.

I recommend you setup a Solaris boot server, throw the Sol8 disks on that and boot the machine over the network to do the installation. It means you need another machine on the same subnet and need to get the MAC address of the V240, but if you will be attempting the installation a couple of times it saves the effort. Also, it proves ahead of time that there are no read errors on the disks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

connecting 280r via serial port

I'm stuck here trying to connect to a 280R via serial port A to a laptop. I set hyperterminal up for 9600, 8, N, 1, but when I hit enter, nothing comes up in hyperterminal. There is no keyboard or mouse attached to the 280R, and it doesnt have a video card, so thats not an option. I'm stumped.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to connect laptop to Unix system via Parallel port

Hi, I have been using a computer to keep track of inventory for my business. I am pretty sure it runs on Unix. In the back of the computer there is some sort of PCI card that has about 8 RJ-11 ports on it. I use that card to connect the Unix system to my 3 VT-220 terminals. I use a simple 6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john202
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How-to boot server with no CDROM via serial connection to laptop

I have an x86 Sun server, with no CDROM drive and no OS currently loaded on it. I need to install CentOS on it... trying to figure out how to do that. I've heard there are ways to connect to the serial management port, and mount a laptop's CDROM drive as a drive the server will recognize to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mariognarly
0 Replies

4. Programming

How to tell if a string to serial port has been sent

I have a need to determine when a string has been completely sent via a serial port from a standard 'C' application. The code is as follows: SerialPort_Send = open (pPortString, O_WRONLY | O_NOCTTY | O_NONBLOCK); write (SerialPort_Send, pCommandString, strlen (pCommandString)); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ExDes
2 Replies

5. Solaris

BIOS Serial Number on Sun Fire V240

Hi, I want to know if there is a command available for obtaining the BIOS Serial Number on a Sun Fire V240 machine? Or is it a known issue that it cannot be obtained through any command? Thanks, Vineet (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
4 Replies

6. Hardware

Need Help connecting to sunfire v240

I recently acquired a sunfire v240 and I'm trying to get into it so I can install linux on it. Right now I'm still trying to get a monitor connected so I can do this. I've tried connecting to it with a crossover cable to my laptop (vista and linux equipped). I was able to get a connection... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: QuadRunner750
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with serial port

Hi, I have a external board connected to my serial port. I need to execute "shutdown -r now" command when system boot up. When system boots up it requires a username ans password. Then I need to run my command. I can use rc script but that is rebooting system before it asks for username and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlie.arya
0 Replies

8. Solaris

How to enable Serial port on ILOM, when Network Port is enabled in parallel

Hi Everyone, In my environment, I have few T5220. On the iLOM Management Card, I have both Network and Serial port are cabled, I don't have any issues while I try to connect using Network Management port, but when I try to connect the serial port for the same server which is actually connected... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
3 Replies

9. Web Development

Writing to a Serial Port

I am trying to write to a serial port and capture the reponse in a file - adduser ethan dialout The user `ethan' is already a member of `dialout' root@meow:/home/ethan# ls -l /dev/ttyS0 crw-rw-r-- 1 ethan dialout 4, 64 Oct 7 20:55 /dev/ttyS0 $fh1 = fopen("/dev/ttyS0", "w+");... (74 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
74 Replies

10. Solaris

Cabling and adapters to communicate to service processor serial port from Windows PC with USB port.

Hello, I have an unloaded T5140 machine and want to access the ILOM for the first time and subsequently the network port after that., and then load Solaris 10 the final January 2011 build. The first part is what confuses me -the cabling. I am coming from a Windows machine (w/appropriate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joboy
5 Replies
SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)			 systemd-machine-id-commit.service		      SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-machine-id-commit.service - Commit a transient machine ID to disk SYNOPSIS
systemd-machine-id-commit.service DESCRIPTION
systemd-machine-id-commit.service is an early boot service responsible for committing transient /etc/machine-id files to a writable disk file system. See machine-id(5) for more information about machine IDs. This service is started after local-fs.target in case /etc/machine-id is a mount point of its own (usually from a memory file system such as "tmpfs") and /etc is writable. The service will invoke systemd-machine-id-setup --commit, which writes the current transient machine ID to disk and unmount the /etc/machine-id file in a race-free manner to ensure that file is always valid and accessible for other processes. See systemd-machine-id-setup(1) for details. The main use case of this service are systems where /etc/machine-id is read-only and initially not initialized. In this case, the system manager will generate a transient machine ID file on a memory file system, and mount it over /etc/machine-id, during the early boot phase. This service is then invoked in a later boot phase, as soon as /etc has been remounted writable and the ID may thus be committed to disk to make it permanent. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-machine-id-setup(1), machine-id(5), systemd-firstboot(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)