Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash/AWK Newbie taking on more than he can chew. Post 302152283 by mph999 on Wednesday 19th of December 2007 10:59:24 AM
Old 12-19-2007
For part 1 ...

TESTVAR=$(find . -name log_20070911* |wc -l)
echo $TESTVAR

If you enclose a command in $( ) then the output of that command is used, in this case, assigned to the variable TESTVAR.

You could use ` ` also.

Martin

(Parts 2/3 I need to think about)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie - Need help in bash scripting

Hi there, I am a student and currently working on a project. I have a file that contains about 50 filenames. (1.txt, 2.txt, 3.txt ...). I would like to know how can I store these filenames into a variable using a loop? I would appreciate if anyone can help me. Thank You. Regards, Bib (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbib
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

quick newbie bash question

I'm in .profile. I want to export a directory ( export MY_TOOL_HOME=/tools/my tool". Unfortunately for me, the directory I want to export to has a space in its name. So when I try to cd $MY_TOOL_HOME, i get a No such file or directory at the command line... thanks for the help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: redsand9009
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie bash scripting help requested

Hi, I'm very new to bash scripting and Linux in general. I'm running Ubuntu Server 10.04 and trying to write a bash script to launch a program. In doing so, I've come across a couple of things that I obviously don't understand. Here is a short script that exemplifies those things: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carson Dyle
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for help with parsing file contents in bash [newbie]

Hi I'm just messing around with bash and trying to learn it because I have a course next semester dealing with OS design where we need to know how to use SSH client and either bash or ksh. I've never done shell scripting before. I just started today and I was wondering how parsing files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mehungry
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk solution for taking bins

Hi all, I'm looking for an awk solution for taking bins of data set. For example, if I have two columns of data that I wish to use for a scatter plot, and it contains 5 million lines, how can I take averages of every 100 points, 1000, 10000 etc... The idea is to take bins of the 5,000,000 points... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get the correct ans. Using awk in taking average

Hi all, I think so I’m getting the result is wrong, while using following awk commend, colval=$(awk 'FNR>1 && NR==FNR{a=$4;next;} FNR>1 {a+=$4; print $2"\t"a/3}' filename_f.tsv filename_f2.tsv filename_f3.tsv) echo $colval >> Result.tsv it’s doing the condition 2 times, first result... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking inputs for awk

Hi, i want to print 2nd column value with the below script. I need to take input of the string i need to search in that file and file name. How can i take these two as inputs? using read command? Getting error for below script. echo "enter SID" read SID echo "enter filename" read filename... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting - Newbie

Hi all, I have drill to do and I'll very appreciate your help: Please create a simple CSV file as follow (3 columns and 4 rows): A,B,C A,”B,C”,D “A,B”,C,D o A,B,”C,D” - Please refer to the comma between the quotation marks as a parameter and not as a separator. - Please provide... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elior
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop -- newbie

Hi forums, Wondering if someone could assist me!!... I basically want to do a while read line on a file and input it into a set of parameters for a JSON geospatial demo.. With a loop where every line creates a new "card" to an effect... card example below... Data CSV one line: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skoot
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie needs help with some bash scripting

Please bear with me, I'm a beginner but have had some experience and decent knowledge to understand things as I read them and I'm in the process of trying to learn more. I recently inherited a UNIX server which has a bash script which is part of a crontab schedule that needs to be modified (or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danylko
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)