Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extract a part of file name
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extract a part of file name Post 302152041 by John Mac on Tuesday 18th of December 2007 10:19:50 AM
Old 12-18-2007
Although Mark's is an elegant solution, there's a simpler way to do and still remain independent of filename length: use cut's field delimiter option:

f=NLL_NAM_XXXXX.XXXXXXX_1_1.txt
s=`echo $f | cut -d "_" -f3`
echo "$f -> $s"

Here, we tell cut to use underscore ("_") as the field delimiter. cut now sees the string as five fields (NLL, NAM, XXXXX.XXXXXXX, 1 and 1.txt respectively) and spits out the third.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract certain part of log file?

Hi there, I'm having some problem with UNIX scripting (ksh), perhaps somebody can help me out? For example: ------------ Sample content of my log file (text file): -------------------------------------- File1: .... info_1 ... info_2 ... info_3 ... File2: .... info_1 ... info_2 ...... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract last part of string.

Hi, I have a string like this BUNDLE=/home/bob/flx/user.bun how to extract only the the last part ie, only user.bun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vprasads
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract part of text file

I need to extract the following lines from this text and put it in different files. From xxxx@gmail.com Thu Jun 10 21:15:46 2010 Return-Path: <xxxxx@gmail.com> X-Original-To: xxx@localhost Delivered-To:xxxx@localhost Received: from ubuntu (localhost ) by ubuntu (Postfix) with ESMTP... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: waxo
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract a certain part of a line

Hi friends, I want to select and use the certain part of a line. For example I have the following line home/1245/hgdf/acsdf/myhome/afolder/H2O/endfile how can I extract the part " /myhome/afolder/H2O/endfile " thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract part of a string

I have a file with 100s of lines of text. I want to perform an extraction of this line: Info bpzs(pid=2652) using 1000 bits I have not been able to extract it. Should I try expr match or is there another method? This line has data both in front of and in back of it. I do not have grep -o... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract part of file

Hello All, I need to extract part of a file into a new file My file is Define schema xxxxxx Insert into table ( a ,b ,c ,d ) values ( 1, 2, 3, (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the part of sequences from a file

I have a text file, input.fasta contains some protein sequences. input.fasta is shown below. >P02649 MKVLWAALLVTFLAGCQAKVEQAVETEPEPELRQQTEWQSGQRWELALGRFWDYLRWVQT LSEQVQEELLSSQVTQELRALMDETMKELKAYKSELEEQLTPVAEETRARLSKELQAAQA RLGADMEDVCGRLVQYRGEVQAMLGQSTEELRVRLASHLRKLRKRLLRDADDLQKRLAVY... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahim42
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to extract part of the string

Hi, I have a string with name as 20140412-s1-Potopolive_promos_20140412. So I want to extract only Potopolive string. Could you please help me the command. O/p : Potopolive Thx in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lkeswar
5 Replies

9. Programming

Extract part of an archive to a different file

I need to save part of a file to a different one, start and end offset bytes are provided by two counters in long format. If the difference is big, how should I do it to prevent buffer overflow in java? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a part of variable/line content in a file

I have a variable and assigned the following values ***XYZ_201519_20150929140642_20150929140644_211_0_0_211 I need to read this variable from backward and stop read when I get first underscore (_) In this scenario I should get 211 Thanks Kris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkris
3 Replies
CUT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - select out columns of a file SYNOPSIS
cut [ -b | -c] list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [ -s] OPTIONS
-b Cut specified bytes -c Select out specific characters -d Change the column delimiter to delim -f Select out specific fields that are separated by the -i Runs of delimiters count as one -s Suppres lines with no delimiter characters, when used EXAMPLES
cut -f 2 file # Extract field 2 cut -c 1-2,5 file # Extract character columns 1, 2, and 5 cut -c 1-5,7- file # Extract all columns except 6 DESCRIPTION
[file...]" delimiter character ( see delim)" with the -f option. Lines with no delimiters are passwd through untouched" Cut extracts one or more fields or columns from a file and writes them on standard output. If the -f flag is used, the fields are sepa- rated by a delimiter character, normally a tab, but can be changed using the -d flag. If the -c flag is used, specific columns can be specified. The list can be comma or BLANK separated. The -f and -c flags are mutually exclusive. Note: The POSIX1003.2 standard requires the option -b to cut out specific bytes in a file. It is intended for systems with multi byte characters (e.g. kanji), since MINIX uses only one byte characters, this option is equivalent to -c. For the same reason, the option -n has no effect and is not listed in this man- ual page. SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(9). CUT(1)