Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: path variables
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers path variables Post 302152037 by sszd on Tuesday 18th of December 2007 10:00:22 AM
Old 12-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
Those look like NLS substitutions, ie, the path changes depending on the language.
If, by "NLS", you mean, "Native Language Support", then what do these substitutions mean in the english language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
Of course the code doing the lookup needs to do the substitution.
If the substitutions are being handled by the code that uses a particular path variable, then, for example, why doesn't the man page for the cd command (which uses the CDPATH variable) talk about its possible substitution values and what they mean?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Path Autocomplete w/ Variables

Suppose there exists a file, "/home/andrew/product/test". And suppose I set $FOO to "/home/andrew/product/"? I can't seem to type "$FOO/t" and then Escape (csh) in order to autocomplete. Is this possible in other shells? If not, then why? If so, then why can't csh do it, and how can I make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acheong87
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Commands From Non-Standard Path (Changing user's PATH secretely???)

Hi: I have a requirement as below: I have some standard Unix commands modified and kept them in a directory say /usr/clsh/bin. For example I have a script named "ls" kept here which is modified version of "ls" (say it always gives long listing i.e. ls -l). When any user logs on and types... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh_samane
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix Library path variables.

Library path variables. I need to know the library rnvironment variable in linux. Ie, I install zlib directory in the custom path /usr/local/mylib and give --enable-zlib in the ffmpeg install, ffmpeg should check for the zlib libraries in the path /usr/local/mylib. Currently it checks /usr/lib... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 11 + PATH enviroments variables

Ok, this is the little annoying. I can't set up $PATH variable for all non root users on Solaris 11 express. oracle@DevelopBox01:/export/home/oracle$ cat /etc/default/login ........ # PATH sets the initial shell PATH variable #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from parent path to multiple child path using bash in efficient way

Hi All, Can you please provide some pointers to move files from Base path to multiple paths in efficient way.Folder Structure is already created. /Path/AdminUser/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt to /Path/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt /Path/AdminUser/User1/2222/Reports/bbb.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikgv417
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate class path dynamically based on source path

Hi experts, I have multiple file names ending with .jsp located in $SOME_DIR, $SOME_DIR/f1/,$SOME_DIR/f2/test,$SOME_DIR/f3/fa and there are equivalent class files in $SOME_DIR/WEB-INF/classes/_pages,$SOME_DIR/WEB-INF/classes/_pages/_f1,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. Programming

Makefile missing include path Although the path exists and defined

i have make file which i try to make them generic but it keeps to compline it missing include directory this is the makefile : CXX=g++ CPPFAGS= -Wall -O0 -g -std=c++14 INCLUDES = -I/home/vagrant/libuv/include -Isrc LIBS_DIRS = -L/home/vagrant/libuv/build LDFLAGS=... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
7 Replies
XtFindFile(3)							   XT FUNCTIONS 						     XtFindFile(3)

NAME
XtFindFile - search for a file using substitutions in the path list SYNTAX
String XtFindFile(String path, Substitution substitutions, Cardinal num_substitutions, XtFilePredicate predicate); ARGUMENTS
path Specifies a path of file names, including substitution characters. substitutions Specifies a list of substitutions to make into a path. num_substitutions Specifies the number of substitutions passed in. predicate Specifies a procedure to call to judge a potential file name, or NULL. DESCRIPTION
The path parameter specifies a string that consists of a series of potential file names delimited by colons. Within each name, the percent character specifies a string substitution selected by the following character. The character sequence ``%:'' specifies an embedded colon that is not a delimiter; the sequence is replaced by a single colon. The character sequence ``%%'' specifies a percent character that does not introduce a substitution; the sequence is replaced by a single percent character. If a percent character is followed by any other character, XtFindFile looks through the specified substitutions for that character in the match field and if found replaces the percent and match characters with the string in the corresponding substitution field. A substitution field entry of NULL is equivalent to a pointer to an empty string. If the operating system does not interpret multiple embedded name separators in the path (i.e., ``/'' in POSIX) the same way as a single separator, XtFindFile will collapse multiple separators into a single one after performing all string substitutions. Except for collapsing embedded separators, the contents of the string substitutions are not interpreted by XtFindFile and may therefore contain any operating-system-dependent characters, including additional name separators. Each resulting string is passed to the predicate procedure until a string is found for which the procedure returns True; this string is the return value for XtFindFile. If no string yields a True return from the predicate, XtFindFile returns NULL. If the predicate parameter is NULL, an internal procedure that checks if the file exists, is readable, and is not a directory will be used. It is the responsibility of the caller to free the returned string using XtFree when it is no longer needed. SEE ALSO
X Toolkit Intrinsics - C Language Interface Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libXt 1.1.3 XtFindFile(3)