Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk & sed problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk & sed problem Post 302151927 by nrbhole on Tuesday 18th of December 2007 01:02:49 AM
Old 12-18-2007
awk & sed problem

Hello,

I am new to shell scripting. I want to optimize my one of the script.
I have one file and i want to remove selected zones for domains from that file.In this file i have almost 3500 zones for domains.Sample data for the file....

named.backup
-------------------------------------------------------------
zone "britshoponline.co.uk" {
type master;
file "/var/named/britshoponline.co.uk.db";
};

zone "skateboardstickers.net" {
type master;
file "/var/named/skateboardstickers.net.db";
};

zone "kalibrantas.or.id" {
type master;
file "/var/named/kalibrantas.or.id.db";
};

zone "mf-host.com" {
type master;
file "/var/named/mf-host.com.db";
};

zone "googlepatch.com" {
type master;
file "/var/named/googlepatch.com.db";
};
--------------------------------------------------------

list.conf contains 2 records..
vebosoft.com
kalibrantas.or.id

---------------------------------------------------------
AWK script (namedscript.awk) ..
BEGIN{
}

{
zone = $1
sedcmd = "sed '/" zone "/,+4d' named.backup > named.backup.test"
printf "Command: %s\n", sedcmd
system(sedcmd)
system("mv named.backup.test named.backup")
}
END{
}
--------------------------------------------------------------
My command for executing the script:
awk -f namedscript.awk list.conf
--------------------------------------------------------------
In the above code it's possible to remove "system("mv named.backup.test named.backup")" command. But i dont; know i how to do it.

Please help me..
Thanks in Advance

Last edited by nrbhole; 12-18-2007 at 02:39 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & awk help...

I have a question. Take the following statement awk -F\| '{print $21}' testfile | sed 's/\//\\/g' > newfile This will grab the 21st column of a | delimited text file, replace the forward slashes "/" , with back slashes "\", and redirect the output newfile. Now, how do I get the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shimb0
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem to add the string(without sed & awk) into the middle of file

Hi, I have tried many times to add the string into the first line of the file or the middle of the file but could not find the solution. I first tried by $echo "paki" >> file This code only append paki string at the end of file "file" but how can i add this "paki" into the first line or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali hussain
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to Sed & Awk

How do I grab the first 10 characters of a line and append it to another empty file? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & awk

Hi. I'm going to learn scripting and i have the following topics on the list: sed, awk, shell scripting, perl. My question is, whehter i should learn sed and awk? Aren't this tools outdated? Although i see that GNU upgrade it's versions of these tools from time to time. And, the next... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kukuruku
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pattern matching New to Sed & Awk

Hello, Despite reading the Pattern Matching chapter in the O'Reilly Sed & Awk book several times and looking at numerous examples, I cannot seem to get any kind of conditional script to work in my awk scripts! I am able to do the basic awk and grep script to capture the data but when I do with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pg55
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed & awk programming

Hi all, can anyone have sed & awk programming doc..so that to learn it easier.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gk2009
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk & sed

Hi, Can anyone let me know the difference between awk and sed utilities in Unix? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk & sed query for output

Hello, I have a file. its content are like below. mdn:87439842 imsi:23082038203 Ctime:12082010 01:20:10 mdn:9324783783 imsi:402349823322 Ctime: 12072010 01:20:10 mdn:87439842 imsi:23082038203 Ctime: 23072010 01:20:10 mdn:87439842 imsi:23082038203 Ctime:18072010 01:20:10 mdn:87439842... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanket11
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & awk Book

Hi Experts, I am studying SED and AWK text processing commands with an E-book. I am not satisfied with the way of explanation and examples given by them. I would like you guys to suggest me the Best book for SED and AWK to become good in this utility. Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxrulez
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print & and \n while replacing with sed/awk?

string="din&esh\nisgood" File.txt: the name is sed "s#\#${string}#g" File.txt Output am getting: the name is dinesh is good Expected output: the name is din&esh\nisgood The input string is dynamic it will be keep on changing am able to handle & by placing \& in the string.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
5 Replies
nisbackup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisbackup(1M)

NAME
nisbackup - backup NIS+ directories SYNOPSIS
nisbackup [-v] backup-dir directory... nisbackup [-v] -a backup-dir DESCRIPTION
nisbackup backs up a NIS+ directory object on a NIS+ master server. Updates to the NIS+ database will be temporarily disabled while nis- backup is running. The backup-dir is a UNIX directory that must exist prior to running nisbackup. The nisbackup command can be used to backup an individual NIS+ directory object or all ( -a) of the NIS+ directory objects served by a master server. The NIS+ directory objects being backed up will be placed into subdirectories under the backup-dir directory. These subdirectories are named according to the NIS+ directory object they contain. nisbackup operates on individual NIS+ directory objects (for example, org_dir.wiz.com). This allows an administrator to selectively backup specific directories. The rpc.nisd(1M) process must be running on the master server with a stable NIS+ database for nisbackup to complete. nisbackup will not attempt to correct any corruption in the NIS+ database, so it is important that backups be done regularly as part of the NIS+ administra- tion. The first synopsis is used to backup a single NIS+ directory object or a list of NIS+ directory objects. The objects can be partially qual- ified or fully qualified. The machine on which the command is executing must be the master for the NIS+ directory objects specified. The second synopsis will backup all of the NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. The -a option is the recommended method of backing up a master server, since it will backup all NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. If this server is a master server for more than one domain, the backup will include NIS+ directories that belong to all of the domains served. Individual NIS+ direc- tory objects can be selected for restoring from a backup-dir created with the -a option. See nisrestore(1M). The -a option only includes directory objects for which this server is the master. It is possible, but not recommended, to configure a master server as a replica for other domains. The objects belonging to those replicated domains will not be backed up with the -a option. The backup of replicated objects must be run on the master server for those objects. Do not use the same backup-dir to backup different master servers. Each master server must have its own backup-dir. nisbackup will set the rpc.nisd(1M) to read only mode, which will disable updates to the NIS+ database. This is neccessary to ensure the consistency of the backup. For this reason, nisbackup should not be run while large numbers of updates are being applied to the NIS+ data- base. Update utilities such as nisaddent(1M) should not be run simultaneously with nisbackup. OPTIONS
-a Creates a backup of all NIS+ directory objects for which this server is a master. -v Verbose option. Additional output will be produced and sent to syslog(3C) upon execution of the command (see syslog.conf(4)). OPERANDS
backup-dir The directory into which the subdirectories containing the backed up objects are placed. This must be created prior to running nisbackup. directory The NIS+ directory object(s) being backed up. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Backup of the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup To backup the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup org_dir.foo.com. Example 2: Backup of the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup To backup the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup foo.com. org_dir.foo.com. groups_dir.foo.com. ctx_dir.foo.com. Example 3: Backup of an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup To backup an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup -a /backup EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/backup-dir/backup_list This ascii file contains a list of all the objects contained in this backup-dir directory. /backup-dir/directory-object A subdirectory that is created in the backup-dir that contains the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/data A subdirectory that contains the data files that are part of the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/last.upd This data file contains timestamp information about the directory-object. /backup-dir/directory-object/data.dict A NIS+ data dictionary for all of the objects contained in the NIS+ directory-object backup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisdefaults(1), nisrm(1), nisrestore(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), syslog(3C), nisfiles(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nisbackup(1M)